Alternator replacement Rev2 Turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fahad1417

Alternator replacement Rev2 Turbo

Post by fahad1417 »

Can anyone help me out with a guide on how to remove the alternator and fit one back in. Also any tips on where I can source a good priced replacement for mine? All help is much appreciated
auzzam

Re: Alternator replacement Rev2 Turbo

Post by auzzam »

Just did mine a few weeks back on my rev3 turbo. I was able to do it in my driveway. Had to remove my exhaust to get it off.

From what I can remember, after taking the exhaust off, you have to take the belt off and then loosen the pivot bolt and take another bolt off too.

Once this is done you rock the alternator back and forth in a pivoting motion (you may need a screw drover to help pry it away from the car).

Once its out, I had to wiggle it through the subframe to get it out. Be careful as its very heavy and will suddenly drop.

Have you definitely diagnosed it to be a bad alternator? There's some multimeter tests you can do before hand, sometimes it can just be a dodgey wire. Worth giving this a shot first before shelling out £130ish on a new alternator.

It took me about 2 days to do this, and over 2 weekends, one day to remove everything another to put it back. But you could do it all in one day if you already had the replacement alternator ready to go but I wanted to make sure I ordered the right part number first.

Sorry I know its not great, but all I can advise if doing at home is put the rear of the car as high up as you possibly can, it makes life so much easier.
pbmr2

Re: Alternator replacement Rev2 Turbo

Post by pbmr2 »

yeah common to have to remove the section of exhaust. pain in the the hole, but still easier than other ways of doing it.

This is another method..
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk2. ... bartid=166

Have also known people to drop the subframe down on it's bolts to make more room.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”