HELP!! Boot stuck shut.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kurkjones

HELP!! Boot stuck shut.

Post by kurkjones »

So when I bought the car one of the keys snapped inside the boot key barrel, today I went to fix it.. opened the boot with the release catch at drivers seat as always-opened boot removed key barrel and all other connecting parts(including the one that operates from drivers seat) went to the workshop and started working on removing the snapped key from barrel-got back to the car and the boot had been shut by the wife!!! It's closed on the catch with no key barrel or connection to the release catch now! How do I get it open this time?!?!

Thanks
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: HELP!! Boot stuck shut.

Post by Martin F »

can you not access the latch using something that fits through the hole where the barrel once was ? metal coat hanger for example :-k
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

Martin F wrote:can you not access the latch using something that fits through the hole where the barrel once was ? metal coat hanger for example :-k

Yeah going to give it a shot that way, ordered a boroscope off ebay too to help if need be, would save a lot of hassle if it works with the coat hangar like you say, was suggested to try that off a friend on Facebook. So caught up in the moment never thought of them things myself.
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

kurkjones wrote:
Martin F wrote:can you not access the latch using something that fits through the hole where the barrel once was ? metal coat hanger for example :-k

Yeah going to give it a shot that way, ordered a boroscope off ebay too to help if need be, would save a lot of hassle if it works with the coat hangar like you say, was suggested to try that off a friend on Facebook. So caught up in the moment never thought of them things myself.

If that and everything else fails then you could always cut out a small hole behind the reversing light panel just big enough for your hand to fit through, obviously get pictures beforehand so you don't cut through any wiring etc. then either fill with a bit of fibreglass or weld a plate over it, wouldn't be the end of the world 8-[
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Pm madbasshunter he knows how to do it
monstr2

Post by monstr2 »

Can you remove the brake light and then try to pry open the trunk lid with a coat hanger? You wouldn't have to break anything this way?
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I suggest locking wife in the boot once you've sorted it :thumleft:
Groozil

Post by Groozil »

My boot door got stuck too lol. Must be a common problem.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”