welcome to my basket case.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Re: welcome to my basket case.

Post by Draven »

It all depends on your power aim, once you've decided that then choose what turbo etc you want.

choo choo v6

:mrgreen:
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

im after usable power , i want it to still drive like a v6 so im not going to stick a massive turbo on it, im thinking 300 bhp is a reasonable number to aim for...
Last edited by qwakers on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

so the camry teardown begins.

gearbox is out exhaust is off just gotta finish working out what wires to take off from where and the engine can come out.

and... ive never seen a expansion tank do this before. i only prodded it with me finger!
weird.
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

aaaaand shes out!

qwakers

Post by qwakers »

having got rid of my camry i now have somewhere dry to park the mr2, which is nice, because the drivers side t-bar seal leaks. i probably didn't line the door up quite right, but i digress.

i've been buying bits for the camry engine ready to start stripping and rebuilding it in the new year.

the list so far is pretty mundane:
top end gasket set
oil (60% off at eurocarparts today i just couldnt miss that)
bits for my die grinder flap wheels etc

the most interesting part to find was the alternator belt, its a custom length because i've removed the pas pump and air con pump for everyone else's reference it is:
250mm long, 6 rib, k section, poly v belt.

that is all :)

except ive been purging my garage of all the bits ive kept (because i might need them one day...) and sweeping up...
a fairly tedious occupation but very nessesary. 2 more days of cleaning yet. gotta get the tools sorted back into their homes and clean my workbench up....
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

got a new engine stand for christmas (ok so i knew i was getting it so waited for it...) so on christmas evening i put it on it and boxing day i stripped the engine down...

the ID10T that did the timing belt about 2 weeks before i bought the car just did the belt and water pump and didnt touch the pulleys. the top idler had a fair amount of play in it and the tensioner pulley sounded like it was full of gravel. asking for trouble so i bought a couple of new pulleys. for future reference if you seatch for the pulleys on google you get camry ones for £80 each but i found the OEM part number and searched that. ADT37654 and 13505-20010 (lexus) got them for about £20 each.
(also a couple of pots of high temp paint and a oil filter in eurocarparts 69%off sale. £1 for a filter whihc i thought was ok :LOL: )

sorted the bottom end oil leaks out and cleaned it up and painted the block. getting there. just got to port and polish the heads and paint them, then put it all back together. :)

so slowly getting there. soon it will be time to start stripping the mr2....
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

been doing lots of painting so i thought rather than move the mr2 outside id give it a nice duvet to sleep under

Image :lol:

all painted up i just need to get some humbrol and mini brushes to do all the detail work (toyota badge 3000 badge 3vzfe lettering etc) in red.

Image#

then just need to stick a new set of ht leads on it (one disintegrated on me...) and i can think about starting to strip the mr2...

slight issue, i've got myself confused as to what connects where. this is not usually a issue as all i have to do is connect up what i can remember (usually 99%) and whats left over is usually obvious. the issue here is i've removed so much stuff from the engine there are loads of stuff that will never be reconnected so im a bit disorientated. no worries ill get there in the end.

but for now. gratuitous engine pics...

aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

qwakers

Post by qwakers »

if thats a reference to the colour scheme then...

:clap: :lol:
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

okidoke

stage 1 (engine build complete (just need to source a 3sgte flywheel and pressure plate...)

stage 2 complete (engine dropped)

stage 3 will be engine meet gearbox and stage 4 will be engine refit. both of which would happen on sunday if it wasnt for the fact that im having trouble sourcing a flywheel and pressure plate off a 3sgte.. grrrr.
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

note to self, raise front suspension right up next time before lifting the rear up.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ads

Post by ads »

Following :thumleft:

Love the idea of dirt cheap v6 swap, going to find the right shell first then have a go myself

Here's a thought as you're considering the turbo route?

small (cheap) remote turbo hanging out back on by exhaust box - Paul woods is thinking of a remote setup for his 1UZ 944 so he may have an opinion?

And before anyone dismisses the idea out of hand check this mutha ... Bisimoto 911 (not cheap though) withe remote(ish) setup

actual car emerges after all preamble around 5 mins into video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqLYFrzKJQ
cdwood2010

Post by cdwood2010 »

The first V6 swap we did (JapScrap) came in at just over £500 after the dust had settled. That was about 15 swaps ago, but usually doable with £1000.

ads

Post by ads »

sounds good to me I'm up for it hopefully this year
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

ads wrote:Following :thumleft:

Love the idea of dirt cheap v6 swap, going to find the right shell first then have a go myself

Here's a thought as you're considering the turbo route?

small (cheap) remote turbo hanging out back on by exhaust box - Paul woods is thinking of a remote setup for his 1UZ 944 so he may have an opinion?

And before anyone dismisses the idea out of hand check this mutha ... Bisimoto 911 (not cheap though) withe remote(ish) setup

actual car emerges after all preamble around 5 mins into video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqLYFrzKJQ

the plan i had was to put it just above (and in front of) the crossmember. how feasible that will be i wont know till the engines bolted in... :D
cdwood2010

Post by cdwood2010 »

Go 1MZ or 1MZ vvti if you can stretch to it, the 3VZ is a solid engine but finding a good low mileage example can be tricky. Paul Woods stopped doing the 3VZ swaps a few years ago for that very reason.

Whichever engine you go for, if you can hear it running, drive it, or even drive it home you will feel much better about the swap before you start. I've owned a few cammys and driven them around for a few weeks before killing them (in tears!) so i knew they were solid.

:)

c.
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

well its in there.

had to take the engine crossmember off the car which was a problem as i was using it with my crane to lift the car up, so ended up lifting it up sliding it back over the engine, sticking it on axle stands, dropping the x-member off and lowering it over the engine on jacks,

lifting the engine and bolting all the engine mounts on was done in a hour or so

then came the driver side engine mount. i reckoned i could use the original mr2 engine mount with a few modifications.

first thing i did was cut the protrusions off the top and grind it smooth. then i flipped it upside down and test fitted it. ah it was about 10mm too far back and hitting the engine. i fettled it with a grinding disk until the fouling face was as thin as i dare make it and cut the 'lip' off the engine next to the rear bolt hole. now it fits, great. then i just fabbed up a couple of bits of angle iron, one sitting on the engine and one bolted to what was originally the bottom of the mr2 mount. i had to take the studs out because i was never going to be able to move it around whilst fitting the mount for the final time. it was a bit tight. all done and welded together, it is sitting in the same place as the woodsport mount pictures show and its certainly a LOT stronger than some i've seen...

took me about 4.5 hours just to make one engine mount...

just got to sort out the fuel system, cooling system and :shock: wiring next.

wish me luck!
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

qwakers wrote:if thats a reference to the colour scheme then...

:clap: :lol:

Yeah, that colour scheme makes it a proper 'Marvel' indeed. Looks cool.
ads

Post by ads »

nice one :thumleft:
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

fuel system sorted in about 5 mins cooling system is taking a little longer.

actually, thats not strictly true, the pipework was about 15 mins of online ordering and so far about a week and a half of waiting for bits to arrive!!! why is it when your in a hurry things take forever.

anyway i had last weekend off work (sat sun and mon) but on thursday night dad fell off a ladder 20ft onto a load of rubble and broke his wrist AND dislocated said wrist and gave himself concussion.... as we say down this way, he did it PROPER!

so off i go to the royal cornwall hospital to which he is rushed at full tilt with blue lights and the works. i was about 10 miles further than the ambulance had to take him we set off at the same time and i beat it there. not bad going in a 4x4 lol.

long story short they stabilized him then moved him to derriford hospital (plymouth) and the navy surgeons patched him back together.. 6 hours on the table on friday. he came home saturday afternoon and i had to sort his work stuff out for him sunday so the sum total of the time i spent on the two was monday. not exactly gone to plan then....

so yeah, got the cooling system sorted except 1 bit of pipework that i ordered and should arrive soon... got the exhaust sorted so we are very close to soldering iron time #-o

Return to “Member Profiles”