New Purchase,,,, Where to start!?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

UrbanFreestyle

Re: New Purchase,,,, Where to start!?

Post by UrbanFreestyle »

ok well i will be getting belt done when i can. looks ok from a visual inspection.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Sorry Andrew I just get upset with the forums at the moment. I appreciate where you're coming from but could be easily misconstrued!

As we're all aware neglect and poor workmanship have really brought the value of our cars down over recent years. This in turn means people that could afford to buy them now can, but often can't afford to maintain them.

The clubs should be a solution and help keep them running well and looked after.

Nothing is more frustrating than having someone bring in a car that they've let the belt snap. It has a knock on effect and can damage all manner of things, and will cost more than just doing the belt as preventative maintenance. From timing cover damage to pulley damage etc etc. It's upsetting we go out our way to help keep maintenance as affordable as possible then potential neglect is recommended on the go to place for good information.

It's within everyones interest that our cars are looked after.

New year rant over!

:D
UrbanFreestyle

Post by UrbanFreestyle »

what's the going rate for cambelt change?
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

UrbanFreestyle wrote:what's the going rate for cambelt change?

Every question leads to another... Depends if you just want the cam belt changed or cam belt and idlers... or better still, Cam belt, Idlers, tensioner, water pump, coolant flush and refill.
Book time for belt change on Autodata is 3.2 hrs. Strangely for water pump which needs belt off to do and then fill and bleed cooling system is quoted at 3.1 hrs!
How does that work out?? ](*,)
Draven

Post by Draven »

I would certainly do all of that when changing cambelt.

Although i've done it myself previously. If you've got the time and inclination it isn't that hard a job just a little tight.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Driftlimits Performance wrote:Sorry Andrew I just get upset with the forums at the moment. I appreciate where you're coming from but could be easily misconstrued!

As we're all aware neglect and poor workmanship have really brought the value of our cars down over recent years. This in turn means people that could afford to buy them now can, but often can't afford to maintain them.

The clubs should be a solution and help keep them running well and looked after.

Nothing is more frustrating than having someone bring in a car that they've let the belt snap. It has a knock on effect and can damage all manner of things, and will cost more than just doing the belt as preventative maintenance. From timing cover damage to pulley damage etc etc. It's upsetting we go out our way to help keep maintenance as affordable as possible then potential neglect is recommended on the go to place for good information.

New year rant over!

That's a fair comment, taken on board :thumleft: :thumleft:
UrbanFreestyle

Post by UrbanFreestyle »

Well as of this morning i'm now doing first things first..... Fix power steering... ](*,)
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Driftlimits Performance wrote:Sorry Andrew I just get upset with the forums at the moment. I appreciate where you're coming from but could be easily misconstrued!

New year rant over!

I couldn't agree more! By all means run a winter run about like you don't care but something you actually want to enjoy driving?
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Odin_S wrote:
I couldn't agree more! By all means run a winter run about like you don't care but something you actually want to enjoy driving?

MG ZR 1.4 makes for a surprisingly economical yet entertaining daily driver
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
Odin_S wrote:

MG ZR 1.4 makes for a surprisingly economical yet entertaining daily driver

I have a 2000MY 1.4s civic no less :D Even with that my mechanical sympathy will not allow me to just run it to the ground.

I have to admit the gear shifting is better than my Turbo :oops:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”