Replacement seat suggestions

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gavsdavs

Replacement seat suggestions

Post by gavsdavs »

What 'aftermarket' seats have people used in the SW20 ?

I like the idea of a pair of GT86 seats (because they're probably plentiful/cheap) as I've heard they're very comfortable. I've no idea whether they'll fit in the sw20 or what rails will be needed.

What alternative seats are people using ?

Gavs
craig

Re: Replacement seat suggestions

Post by craig »

I have Noble M12 seats in mine:

Now have 3 point Willans harnesses fitted with them:

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Umm, yeah, well, nice as they are, I can't help but think noble seats are pretty scarce and therefore probably pretty expensive.

I read elsewhere here on imoc that someone rated GT86 seats very highly (any other gt86 owners here?), and as they're a more common car are a bit more available. (i've seen 2014 seat sets on ebay for £500)

What I would like advice on is - what's special about the mr2 rail/seat combination ? Is fitting GT86 seats straightforward ? Do I retain my sw20 rails ? Do I need the GT86 rails ? Will the seat be too high ?

If, for example, you get a set of heated seats, is it easy enough to wire them in ? Anyone done that ?

Thanks

Gavin
craig

Post by craig »

Noble M12 seats come up on eBay every now and again.

Mine cost £460 delivered.

Before these I had Evo 7 recaros fitted.

Food for thought.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

craig wrote:Noble M12 seats come up on eBay every now and again.

Food for thought.

£460 *IS* cheap - thought they'd be more.

Any guidance on what rails you ended up using for the noble seats or the evo7 seats ? (I'm a bit new to this)

Gavin
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

IIRC, for Recaro's from any car you need something like this - http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k235874537 - not sure what you need to other types.

Personally I'm not a fan of DIYing it and hacking up stock rails to fit unless you really know what you're doing. If your DIY mounting fails in a crash, you're xxxxx.
craig

Post by craig »

gavsdavs wrote:
craig wrote:Noble M12 seats come up on eBay every now and again.

Food for thought.

£460 *IS* cheap - thought they'd be more.

Any guidance on what rails you ended up using for the noble seats or the evo7 seats ? (I'm a bit new to this)

Gavin

Peter Gidden at sbits made my custom rails for both the Evo and noble seats. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer your questions.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Seen those seats and they look absolutely spot on. Sit nice and low in the car, I was very jealous!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Recaro SR/Speed seats
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Recaro Speed/SR's are very nice road seats, my passenger seat is still an SR.

My drivers seat at the moment is a Sparco Pro 2000 which bolted up straight to a Bride FG-Type Rail
https://www.nengun.com/bride/rails-fg-type

My Recaros are mounted on a set of these and again bolted straight up.
http://www.jdmdistro.com/shop/interior/ ... parco-etc/

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Gazza_DJ wrote:IIRC, for Recaro's from any car you need something like this - http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k235874537 - not sure what you need to other types.

Personally I'm not a fan of DIYing it and hacking up stock rails to fit unless you really know what you're doing. If your DIY mounting fails in a crash, you're xxxxx.

Absolutely, cheers Gareth.

I know chrome can (sort of) translate Kanji sites but it amazes me how you shop on them.

Gavs
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Race Idiot wrote:Recaro Speed/SR's are very nice road seats, my passenger seat is still an SR.

My drivers seat at the moment is a Sparco Pro 2000 which bolted up straight to a Bride FG-Type Rail
https://www.nengun.com/bride/rails-fg-type

My Recaros are mounted on a set of these and again bolted straight up.
http://www.jdmdistro.com/shop/interior/ ... parco-etc/

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i.imgur.com/ZUTq3sg.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i.imgur.com/jZMWTIL.jpg

This brings up an interesting comment - I have driven TLFs "T2" and it has firm, bucket-y type seats (i think they are sparcos), and I have a few comments.
- They're a bit small for me. I'm a fat lad.
- The hold is fantastic and is what you'd want on a track, but is not really what I want - they are a bit hard compared to mine and are not as comfortable for doing lots of miles.

This is sort of why i was looking at the GT86 type seat - i suspect an OEM seat isn't going to be quite so firm as a proper bucket seat and should still be comfortable for doing lots of miles.

I might go visit a recaro shop and have a sit in some of the seats - is it true they're also sold in different sizes/widths ?

Gavin
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Mine isn't too bad when it comes to comfort, it also has a couple of moveable extra cushions. I did a 2 hour journey to Donington and felt fine.

If you're a larger lad something like the Recaro Pole Position ABE or Profi SPG XL might be better.

But honestly I wouldn't bother too much with the fixed back seats unless you want to use the car on track. It's a bit more of a pain to look around/blindspot check etc with them. Plus I ended up getting a removable boss so it wasn't so difficult to get out of the car.

The Recaro SR/Speeds are a great upgrade to the std seats though. I always fancied a set of the red ones from an Integra Type R for some reason.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Race Idiot wrote:
The Recaro SR/Speeds are a great upgrade to the std seats though. I always fancied a set of the red ones from an Integra Type R for some reason.

Yeah - I am leaning towards a set which already appear in lots of vehicles and were often OEM fitted to mr2s. It's good they come on lots of other JDM stuff.

I was just curious about the GT86 seats because even a second hand set is going to be pretty new and they're said to be very comfortable.
Last edited by gavsdavs on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I've only sat in a GT86 for a little while but the seats seemed very nice. Much better than the std mr2 seats.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Race Idiot wrote:I've only sat in a GT86 for a little while but the seats seemed very nice. Much better than the std mr2 seats.

I managed an awesome piece of bloke logic on the missus yesterday.

Whilst mine is still in the garage getting stuff done, we have a 2016 1.2L suzuki swift courtesy car. It's about as powerful as a hair dryer but beggars can't be choosers.

Anyway, the missus was complimenting the comfort of the seats in it (they are actually pretty nice to sit in and we often do pretty long drives in mine which can get hard work in worn out seats), I took the opportunity to say "So would you agree to me renewing the seats in my car....?" Before she knew what was happening she'd said yes and agreed to me spending yet more money on the 25 year old money pit.

The tricks we play on ourselves, huh ? :)
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

The GT86 seats are the most comfortable stock seats I have ever sat in.

I did many longish (120 miles each way in the same day) journeys and never had any aches or pains. They are one of the things I miss from the car.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

MartinF wrote:The GT86 seats are the most comfortable stock seats I have ever sat in.

I did many longish (120 miles each way in the same day) journeys and never had any aches or pains. They are one of the things I miss from the car.

Martin, what's your height and weight/shape ? I like the endorsement but it might not be the same if you're under 5 foot 6 :)
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

I'm 6ft with size 36 waist.

But not your type :oldtongue:
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

I've recently fitted Evo 8 recaro's in mine and im very happy with them, so much nicer and more supportive than oem

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”