Shades of 3E5 Red...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: Shades of 3E5 Red...

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ah... Did they send you AW11 springs? :oops:
rev3gtturbo

Re: Shades of 3E5 Red...

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Just order stuff for a 1991 model, unless it's LHD/RHD specific it'll fit.

Only part where you need to be careful is with brakes as their later model NA's still have the smaller Revision 1 brakes even though US Turbo's have the larger ones.

I dont know if that is always correct for Rev 1 but with a Rev3 turbo there were some parts that were changed during the production run. The differences would not be obvious unless you have seen quite a few of them. The MR2 breakers on the forum will have a good idea which parts are common.

This is why Toyota sometimes want a chassis number and not just the model code from the vin plate when ordering parts.

Back to Super Red 2 (3E5) paint. If the panels fade different shades of red then someone has either changed the panels or had a partial respray.

As someone else has said, the 3E5 can also look different on different days. Some days it can be bright red, and other days it can look more of an orangy red.

If get touch up paint, it will match the original colour but not a faded colour.
I once had a 3E5 car completely resprayed using the same colour code. Some years later I got touch up paint for stone chips and it was still a great colour match. It probably fades quicker if let outside in the sunshine so garage it or cover it if you want to keep it bright red as long as possible.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”