MK2s finally benefiting from the upturn of modern classic prices?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Zeppozen

Re: MK2s finally benefiting from the upturn of modern classic prices?

Post by Zeppozen »

With an MR2 you need to factor in Garage bills, Tool Box Purchase, Frustration, cost of parts worth more than the car, Frustration, Rain water pouring into the engine which is a daily occurrence in Scotland, Frustration, the fact they have a tendency to go in a huff if left alone for a few days, Brake Calipers, Alternator, Damp Ignition leads, Frustration of a love hate relationship,

But apart from that ... and much more..

They are the business when all the planets align and thats about as rare LOL.
The pop up headlights are a joy but the MX5 has that,
But the handling of the MR2 is a joy to behold when on a fast B road or Moor.
If you are looking for a cheap classic, then the bottom end of the MR2 MK2 market is as above.

Be prepared to be underneath it regularly and shout WTF every time you discover a replacement part is worth more than the sale value, These cars are a labour of love hate, but as in my case its worth more to me than sale value and the time money blood sweat and tears invested in it.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Zeppozen wrote:With an MR2 you need to factor in Garage bills, Tool Box Purchase, Frustration, cost of parts worth more than the car, Frustration, Rain water pouring into the engine which is a daily occurrence in Scotland, Frustration, the fact they have a tendency to go in a huff if left alone for a few days, Brake Calipers, Alternator, Damp Ignition leads, Frustration of a love hate relationship,

But apart from that ... and much more..

They are the business when all the planets align and thats about as rare LOL.
The pop up headlights are a joy but the MX5 has that,
But the handling of the MR2 is a joy to behold when on a fast B road or Moor.
If you are looking for a cheap classic, then the bottom end of the MR2 MK2 market is as above.

Be prepared to be underneath it regularly and shout WTF every time you discover a replacement part is worth more than the sale value, These cars are a labour of love hate, but as in my case its worth more to me than sale value and the time money blood sweat and tears invested in it.

Sounds like you have the worst of luck with cars, i had a rev 3 turbo for 4 years, all it needed was tyres and an £8 relay.
Since then i have had a couple more keepers, no issues whatsoever. The work i have done are modificaions, i think the mr2 is one of the easiest cars i have ever worked on, maybe helps that i know my way about the car, :-k

What part of scotland are you in Btw ? Most of it sees rainfall similar to the rest of the uk, which isn't as bleek as you are making out :?
Zeppozen

Post by Zeppozen »

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Zeppozen wrote:.....

Sorry if my post sounded rude, that wasn't meant to be the case :oops:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Zeppozen wrote:With an MR2 you need to factor in Garage bills, Tool Box Purchase, Frustration, cost of parts worth more than the car, Frustration, Rain water pouring into the engine which is a daily occurrence in Scotland, Frustration, the fact they have a tendency to go in a huff if left alone for a few days, Brake Calipers, Alternator, Damp Ignition leads, Frustration of a love hate relationship,

Only if they aren't properly maintained in the first place. Mine was left sitting over a week with a dead alternator a couple weeks ago. Didn't even need to charge the battery even though it had been through 3-4 start cycles and been driven ~30 miles with headlights on - fired up first time with the new alternator fitted - handbrake wasn't stuck on, brakes weren't sticking, no issues at all.

Alternator failure wasn't the usual one either before you point that out. The locking bolt AND pivot bolt had sheared due to what I can only assume was a problem with the bracket. Anyone who swears about an alternator replacement should try removing the alternator and the bracket in one piece on the driveway. That's a job worth swearing about :lol:
Very odd issue, but now sorted with a turbo bracket and alternator - the extra amps will be good for the audio system as well.

Never had a problem in the rain either. Ignition components have a finite lifespan - inspect / replace as per the service schedule and there won't be a problem. A lot of the time the problem is the components are just old, and people don't replace them because they only do a few thousand miles a year, which is incorrect - there is a time factor as well as the miles covered with all components.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Alternator failure wasn't the usual one either before you point that out. The locking bolt AND pivot bolt had sheared due to what I can only assume was a problem with the bracket. Anyone who swears about an alternator replacement should try removing the alternator and the bracket in one piece on the driveway. That's a job worth swearing about :lol:

How on gods earth did you manage that??? :clap:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

aussieGT wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:

How on gods earth did you manage that??? :clap:

A lot of swearing and several blood sacrifices to Toyoda-san :lol:

Support engine on jack + wood on the sump. Unbolt drivers side engine mount, and the front and rear mounts. Jack the engine up as high as possible, this gives just enough room to let the alternator rest as far back as possible, and get to that bottom centre bolt that holds the bracket on. I had to use a universal joint which wasn't ideal.

Move the diag port out of the way at the top and remove the brake booster pipe - with the right combination of engine height (we had to keep jacking the engine up and down), and a little encouragement with a plank of wood to move the engine forward a little, we were *just* able to pull it out of the top. Rear firewall needs some paint now though. In hindsight, perhaps dropping the subframe would have been easier overall? Not sure. It's done now anyway! :thumleft:

This was on an NA by the way, not sure how much more or less room there is on a turbo.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

My UK Rev1 N/A has an agreed value of £4k.

Only mods are later brakes and 15' wheels plus TRD braces and Rev6 lights. All original items are also with the car.

It's all about condition, mileage and history for top money.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

What insurer / underwriter is that HighwayStar?
outrun

Post by outrun »

HighwayStar wrote:My UK Rev1 N/A has an agreed value of £4k.

Only mods are later brakes and 15' wheels plus TRD braces and Rev6 lights. All original items are also with the car.

It's all about condition, mileage and history for top money.

:lol:
Rev 2 GT - Forged Rev 3 Conversion
Draven

Post by Draven »

that was what i was thinking lol
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Ooops!

Funny fellas. Inches, that's inches.

Gazza that's Adrian Flux, trying to remember the name of the underwriting company…

Purchase receipt , comparisons, invoices for work and photo's (x6) supplied.
outrun

Post by outrun »

:mrgreen: I would be careful with Adrian Flux, mate.
Personally I would never have a policy through them!
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

I have been through the rather comedic dialogue of discussing agreed value with Adrian Flux (insurer is usually Equity Red Star).

If you press them on what the £4k value really means, it doesn't stand up.
They are not above telling you what you want to hear to get your premium into their hands.

There's lots of weasel words in the policy which means it's just a number they are happy to share with you but does not mean they will hand over £4k in the event of a total loss.
JD

Post by JD »

gavsdavs wrote:
JD wrote:
gavsdavs wrote:
And that's with shitty Rotas on it :)

Ah the Dr. Evil wasn't aimed at you :lol: (or anyone in particular), but the Rotas you brought upon yourself ;) :lol: but :-$ let's not start that again; mrnut might come back :pale:

You want some nice wheels? I give you good price, boss! :oldtongue:

I wasn't trying to get you into trouble again. At all. You shameless wheel snob you :)

:lol:

I'm gonna get an agreed value on my policy when the 2 is back on the road, and I am almost certain the underwriter will be Equity Redstar. Seriously to hell with the Glass Guide chicanery. I would grudgingly pay a bit more to ensure the agreed value is binding, but I don't think that's possible.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I've been through Flux for insurance for many years…. No problems. I've everything in writing so I'd say it's as close to a fully agreed figure as I can get…..
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

HighwayStar wrote:I've been through Flux for insurance for many years…. No problems. I've everything in writing so I'd say it's as close to a fully agreed figure as I can get…..

And they thank you for your custom.

Have you ever had to make a claim? That's the proof of the pudding.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Adrian Flux et al require a valuation from an independent valuer to actually provide a hard agreed value. They'll want you to provide them with the valuers report, which the underwriter will take a look at, and then requote you based on the value provided. Expect the premium to increase.

The values that they (AF) provide themselves are basically not worth a whole lot. They (AF) do an internet search for prices of what they believe equivalent cars are being advertised and sold at (and we know what those are still), and give you those as valuation estimates.

I've pressed the AF staff pretty hard on the facts of what their 'agreed valuation' really means - an independent valuation holds more water (unsurprisingly)

I had mine valued by an independent valuer (i.e. followed this process to it's logical conclusion), that's where I got the £8K from, and that's also where I got the "how Adrian flux actually values cars" information from.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

No they don't require a valuers report… at least they haven't in my case. Also they've matched any other premium quote I've had over the years.

They requested a valuers report and I told them not to be silly and I'd go elsewhere if they insisted. The agreed value is in writing... without a report.
outrun

Post by outrun »

Trust the replies, Flux won't pay out any 'agreed value'.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”