Raising the car to get over some larger speed bumps

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Crazy95

Raising the car to get over some larger speed bumps

Post by Crazy95 »

What would you guys suggest to raise an mr2 a few inches?
My mr2 just makes it out the drive with a slight scrape sound with only me in it.
I want my mr2 to be my daily so getting over the evil super high speed bumps would come in handy

I might buy coilovers once i get the suspension looked at because if they're near the end of life then they would be the best option in my mind

But something alot cheap for now would also work well for my bank account

:D
tottacrolla

Re: Raising the car to get over some larger speed bumps

Post by tottacrolla »

cheapest way would be to carefully cut off the spring platforms and weld them back on further up the strut casing.
Draven

Post by Draven »

:shock: I personally wouldn't go about welding strut platforms..

I would buy a new set of standard height springs which should make the car higher. or even slight lowering springs.

I don't condone cutting up suspension parts.

:thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Custom coilovers will do the trick.

Sounds more like your springs are knackered though. Stock suspension in good condition will clear any legal speedbump in the UK.

Also, have you checked it's not just your undertrays sagging from lack of fixings? Common issue as the fixings rust, people snap them when doing handbrake cables etc and don't replace them.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

As above something must be wrong with your standard suspension if you struggle with speed bumps (perhaps it is already lowered?), raising a stock MR2 a few inches would make the thing a moon buggy.
Nic

Post by Nic »

The OP doesn't say what suspension is currently fitted.

Can you post some pics showing the ride height of the car? If it already has lowering springs fitted, swapping to stock springs would be a cheap way of raising the car.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Stock suspension in good condition will clear any legal speedbump in the UK.

You sure about that? Its a bit like saying stock suspension in good condition will clear any legal ramp angles in UK multi-story car parks.

I remember one multistory car park where my previous mr2 got up the ramps ok but on the way out it grounded on about 5 down ramps.
I did report it and I was told something like they could not guarantee ground clearance and the carpark was to the required standards to allow for 90% (or some similarly high percentage) of the cars on the road.

That car used to ground underside of nose cone or a bit of the exhaust in front of the back wheels over some but not all speed bumps. Changed the shocks over the years but never the springs.

I can also remember there were lots of complaints about a particular speed hump hitting the underside of cars - could see the scrapes in the speed hump - and the council lowered the hump. (maybe cos it was cheaper than paying for car damage)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Given that speed bump heights are regulated, yes, I am sure.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999 ... tents/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999 ... ion/4/made

Maximum height = 100mm.

Stock ride height of a Rev2+ MR2 = ~200mm measured from the control arm mounting point - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-dpUp ... sp=sharing
Draven

Post by Draven »

Ahhh 10cm speed bump.. I remember going over one of those in my MR2.. on coilies..
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

On coilies, with sagging undertrays.... scraaaaaaaape!
Draven

Post by Draven »

Gazza_DJ wrote:On coilies, with sagging undertrays.... scraaaaaaaape!

:cry: it upset me even when you try to drive at an angle the undertrays catch and sometimes the greddy lip. :( sad times indeed.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”