Did my alternator just die on me?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

auzzam

Did my alternator just die on me?

Post by auzzam »

Hi guys,

I went out for a drive today and on the way back had to swerve left and right very quickly at about 30mph (nothing to sharp was just to miss this lunatic who pulled out into the road)

Anyway at the next set of lights I noticed my dash lights had come on, the battery light, engine fan light and another one right next to the battery light.

I immediately noticed the car was boosting back to stock pressures (guessing the boost controller selenoid stopped receiving power). Within 10 minutes my stereo went off.

Thankfully I made it home, but once the car was off it wouldn't turn back on. I checked the battery and got 12v on the multimeter. After about 20 minutes the car started and when I checked the battery with the car running it was only 8v!

This means my alternators knackered right? - why would it die just from a quick left and right? as up to now it was running fine and there were no early signs of it packing up.

If it is indeed the alternator, can I change this myself at home? I've done a belt change on it before, just wondering how hard this will be to change the whole unit.

Hope you guys can shed some light

Thanks

Auzzam
pistol pete

Re: Did my alternator just die on me?

Post by pistol pete »

sound's silly.. but have you checked the belts still there..

next up check the plugs are okay.. and the main wire to alternator is okay as one i woked on the cable had almost snapped.. mayby the sharp turning caused it to snap if it was on its way..

If not then yeah most likely alternator
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

As Pete says, check belts, tension and wiring, it may have been a coincidence and have gone anyway if the alternator...

I have two in my shed, pm me if you are wanting one :thumleft:
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Thanks Pete,

Yep the belt was still there, and looks OK...

I will check the plugs/cables in the morning how many are they and are they obvious?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Check the black plastic plug into the alternator there not the best and can come loose
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

So small update, I took the plug off today and had a look with the multimeter.

I'm only getting 0-1v on the black ans yellow cable which goes to the ECU ign fuse box. I've checked the fuse and also the voltage coming into the fuse box which for that particular 7.5a area is still 0-1v.

Shouldn't I be getting 12v there too with my ignition on? Or does that some how get feed from the alternator?

I've continuity tested up to the fuse box and its fine, it seems like the source power coming into the fuse box on that wire is low.

Any thoughts?
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Forgot to turn off the immobiliser! After that the cable got full voltage.

So all fingers now pointing to the alternator
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

8v and a dash full of lights?
regulator has gone in the alternator. You can get a reconditioned one for about £120.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

pbmr2 wrote:8v and a dash full of lights?
regulator has gone in the alternator. You can get a reconditioned one for about £120.

Yep roughly about 8-9v, battery light is on, also the light right next to it and finally the engine fan light.

When looking at listings for alternators they mention checking the engine grounds in case they're broken? - how would I check this? In case I get a new alternator and the same problem remains.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Find the ground wires and continuity check them, while moving the wire by hand.
Have heard of them snapping inside the insulation. Not seen it first had yet.
The thick wires from the alternator suffer the same thing sometimes.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

You can buy new regulators on eBay for about £20 there quite easy to fit once the alt is off.

If your concerned about the earth attach a jump lead from where the alt bolts to chassis to a known good earth point
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Thanks guys,

What do you recommend I do? Try change the regulator and rectifier myself?

Or just get a replacement one with 12 months warranty for £140ish.

What would have been the other tell tale signs if my grounds were bu88ered?
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Had the same three warning lights 2 weeks ago - the alternator had packed up. Luckily I had a spare and a mechanic mate of mine changed it for £75.

Mine happened after slamming over a giant pothole in the middle of the A43, was on my way to a car meet but had to turn around and go home :(
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

MR2Bitz do refurb alternators for a reasonable price.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

thanks guys,

Has anyone used electrostart alternators? - apparently brand new with 12 months warranty.

I'm toying with the idea to buy a new one where every component is covered in the warranty as opposed to refurbishing my existing one (which may have something else break on it in a few months)

I just want one that will more likely than not need to come back out any time soon - was a right pain to remove!

Are refurbs reliable? or stick with new like electrostart?
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Just put my new one in all lights home thank God and good voltage at the battery.

I was a little worried of over tightening the belt. It currently squeels slightly just at start up.

My question is how do I know how much more to tighten? How tight is too tight?

Don't want to prematurely break the alternator.

Thanks
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

you should be able to twist the belt through 90 degrees at the middle of the longest run "with reasonable force"
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Just do it up a little more until it stops slipping. I keep a 12mm rachet spanner in the car just for that. 2 minute job.
mammoo

Post by mammoo »

I had the same three lights come up on my dash. Was on my way to take it to the garage when I realised that all the electronics were slowly turning off. Eventually it died completely.

Garage thought it was the alternator because it wasn't charging the battery. They replaced it. Same problem. Turned out to just be some corroded wiring.
auzzam

Post by auzzam »

Thanks guys,

Seems like mine was the alternator as all seems well now - such a pain in the a** to remove lol

heres praying to God the new one lasts!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”