Quad tail light mod on import?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ginjaninja92

Quad tail light mod on import?

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Hi folks,

I've got a Rev3 turbo which i'm about to MOT. It doesn't need anything apart from the rear lights sorted.

Currently it has the wires to the brake lights (inner two) cut, and some ghetto fog light wires in their place connected to a switch on the dash. So I only have the high level brake light which is an MOT fail.

How can I have quad side and brake lights, and the inner two as fogs?

Thanks very much!
thomp1983

Re: Quad tail light mod on import?

Post by thomp1983 »

Look in the knowledge base
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

This thread may also be helpful:

Quad light conversion

Paul
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

I recently did this. It's easy without wiring in the rear fog. Here's my thread:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

There's nothing in the knowledge base regarding this, I have read the write up in the KY2 section on mr2oc but it's for uk spec lights.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Ginjaninja92 wrote:There's nothing in the knowledge base regarding this, I have read the write up in the KY2 section on mr2oc but it's for uk spec lights.

Firstly state what you'd like as it makes a difference.

If you want all four lights to light up when you turn on your lights, you'll need a dual fitment bulb holder for the two inner lights. Rev 3 inner lights are only single

You can properly find them on ebay
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Unfortunately it looks as though the detailed description I linked to in the previous thread has now disappeared.

(post updated to correct errors)
That guide is based on the assumption that the inner pair of lights was already fitted with a dual filament lamp, so all four lamps acted as tail/brake.

But what is actually fitted to your car will depend on the model and whether it has been modified over the years. Whilst up to rev 2 models both the inner and outer lights were fitted with dual filament lamps, it appears that rev 3+ have dual filament lamps in the outer pair, and only single filament lamps fitted in the inner pair.

So if someone has already fitted dual filament lamps in the inner pair, you just need diodes (or a relay if you prefer) to make the inner pair rear, brake and fog. But if it's unmodified and you only have single filament lamps in the inner pair, you also need to change the lamp holders for the dual filament type (3 wire).

What I don't understand is why you currently only have the high level brake light working.

As far as I'm aware, the outer lights on JDMs were always fitted with dual filament lamps and holders for brake and tail, so in theory the fog light mod done by the importer should not have changed that, and simply turned the inner lights into fog lights to pass the initial MOT.

If the outer lights are still dual filament, it sound like a wiring fault or blown filaments.

In terms of the actual quad conversion, here's a diagram of the mod I used to make the inner lamps tail, brake and fog which may make it easier to see what needs to be done. The same mod is required for the other pair of lamps. This assumes dual filament bulb holders on the inner lamps. If you have single, you'll also need to replace the inner pair with dual filament bulb holders.

The four diodes are needed to totally isolate the brake circuit from the fog circuit. I have seen some folks use fewer diodes, but they are cheap enough and four should guarantee isolation under fault conditions.

Paul
Last edited by Pauln on Tue May 16, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

You have a rev 2 Paul hence why you haven't since it. They changed the loom rev 3 and upwards for the worst imo as it makes this mod harder
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Ah, that would explain it. My previous mr2 was also a JDM rev 2.

Paul
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Apologies if my original post wasn't clear.

Ginjaninja92 wrote:

I also realise this subject has been covered many times and has therefor become tiresome to discuss so my apologies again.

Paul thanks very much for your thorough answer! Helps massively!

For clarity, my inner lamps are dual filament bulb holders and I think the outer lamps are single filament bulb holders., but I shall check to confirm.

Diagram is helpful as well, thanks again!
craig

Post by craig »

Ginjaninja92 wrote:Hi folks,

I've got a Rev3 turbo which i'm about to MOT. It doesn't need anything apart from the rear lights sorted.

Currently it has the wires to the brake lights (inner two) cut, and some ghetto fog light wires in their place connected to a switch on the dash. So I only have the high level brake light which is an MOT fail.

Thanks very much!

Very odd! But then any change could have happened in the 20+ years the car has been around.

Stock configuration on a rev 3 turbo is:

Outer lights - Dual filament brake/tail
Inner lights - Single filament brake

Could it be that you actually have dual filament brake/tail bulb holders on the outers, but the 21W filaments have blown?

Whip the lights off and have a look.

As above, for quad lights, you'll need dual filament holders on the inners for a rev3, plus diodes and one of the wiring guides.

For an MOT, you'll also need the fog light indication on the dash, or a illuminated switch,

Rev1/2 imports had all four dual brake and tail lights from the factory.
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Thanks for more useful info Craig, that's a really helpful response! I'll find out for sure what bulb holders I've got as soon as I can.
craig

Post by craig »

Ginjaninja92 wrote:Thanks for more useful info Craig, that's a really helpful response! I'll find out for sure what bulb holders I've got as soon as I can.

No bother mate :)
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

So it turns it I had a blown brake filament in each of the outer bulbs, hence my confusion.

Thanks for the helpful replies gents.

Dan
markr1

Diodes

Post by markr1 »

Can you please tell me which diodes to buy as there seems to be a few to choose from. Thanks mark 😎🖒
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Hi Mark, after all this I've still not got round to doing mine, but I believe the diodes are P600's.
markr1

Post by markr1 »

Lol thanks😂😂

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”