water protection?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

metallica fish

water protection?

Post by metallica fish »

Hi guys,

Any tips on some engine protection from rain water? The holes in the engine cover worry me (new to owning a MR2) I've put a carrier bag over the alternator for now. Nothing on the other side.

The car is stationary and won't be driving anytime soon. I don't have access to put it in a garage / car port.

Thanks in advance

Liam
mr2garageswindon

Re: water protection?

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Car cover would help for sure.
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

Fair shout. Paint is knackered anyway so no worries about it getting worse
mr2garageswindon

:thumleft: Or I could hold an umbrella over it when it rains? £20 per hour sound ok? lol.
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

mr2garageswindon wrote::thumleft: Or I could hold an umbrella over it when it rains? £20 per hour sound ok? lol.

I'd want some pretty premium umbrella holding for that price mate! :lol:

On a serious note... Will it do any harm or good putting a plastic bag over the alternator at all?
mr2garageswindon

While its sat it shouldn't be a problem unless it fills with water! Not sure I'd wanna run it with a plastic bag on though. Half decent car cover better idea though, whip if off throw in boot go driving.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Pop engine lid and fold and lay a tarpaulin over the top of engine, fold corners so any water drains away from engine then put engine lid back down to keep it in place
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

thomp1983 wrote:Pop engine lid and fold and lay a tarpaulin over the top of engine, fold corners so any water drains away from engine then put engine lid back down to keep it in place

I'll do that for now. I've got some laying around somewhere
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Buy a cheap rubber floor mat from somewhere like Wilkinson's and lay it over the engine lid slats. 2 will do both sides. Quick and easy to remove when you want to o drive it.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

In the longer term when it's running again, you might want to keep an eye out for a s/h turbo engine lid as these offer a bit more protection against rain getting onto the electrics.

Paul
metallica fish

Post by metallica fish »

Pauln wrote:In the longer term when it's running again, you might want to keep an eye out for a s/h turbo engine lid as these offer a bit more protection against rain getting onto the electrics.

Paul

Aye that's in the plan... eventually
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

Hi, I did this earlier this year. Got a spare boot seal and cut it to fit along the sides of the engine bay, below the panels, to stop rain running down.

Image Image

Went on easy as pushed onto horizontal edges, an just needed some black silicone to cover gaps. Tested it with hose and it keeps water away.
Then found another type of seal to put on left side of engine lid when it shuts,

Image Image

Ive got the turbo engine tray, so it only comes in above left vent an not really owt that gets affected in that area.
Tho I've not found a way to add a seal to the rear of the engine bay, near the boot, yet as theres nothing to attach a seal strip to.
Once I figure it out will be better as water runs down that bit near dizzy cap area.
Zeppozen

Post by Zeppozen »

i cut some clear plastic / acrylic from an olde photo frame .. or any piece of plastic signage. and tie wrapped over vents.

Just an aside, . If you block off vents full time what damage will it do ? Air flow?

The Toyota designers must have been on drugs when they thought that a car for the UK market would be OK with holes to let water p1$$ all over the engine electrics !!!
Draven

Post by Draven »

Get a car cover

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/ I had the monsoon one on my MR2

These are brilliant. :thumleft:

Or put it in a garage. :P

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”