Anyone seen this before? Oil light

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

Anyone seen this before? Oil light

Post by androo007 »

https://youtu.be/VnIp2Bck5Eg

Cold and hot start if car has been sat for 1 hour or more. Immediate restart is fine.

Light doesn't appear any other time hot or cold at any rev range- just on startup.

Oil level perfect

Replaced pressure sensor in head 3 times now so sure it's not that.

Gauge on route but I'm impatient and desperate to see if anyone else has experienced before and obviously don't want to drive it until happy it's 100% safe.

Car since rebuild has completed

250 miles mineral 10w40 Toyota oil filter
250 miles mineral 10w40 Toyota oil filter
250 miles semi 10w40 Toyota oil filter ( currently on this).

Reluctant to change over the oil to millers if it ends up going back to the garage and being dropped anyway and have had to cancel mapping until sorted.

I know it's only on for a very short time and likely will never cause damage....but if you've just dropped £x,000 on an engine you want it perfect, right? :-)
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Anyone seen this before? Oil light

Post by Martin F »

Could be anything really, if an electrical fault then it would happen more randomly surely :-k
Personally I wouldn't drive it until you figure out the issue however an oil pressure gauge is easy to fit and should help figure out what's going on, what gauge did you order ?
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Didnt pete from sbits build this? If so then did u get any warranty?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Yeah not driving it until the gauge turns up. Pete has been great as usual and sending me out the gauge to collect info. But me being in West Sussex 300 miles away makes it tougher for me but more so Pete as he obviously can't see the car.

Seems to have baffled everyone I've asked so far. Hopefully the gauges will turn up soon and I can at least see what's happening.

I just wondered if anyone had seen it or had any ideas. Agreed Martin I don't think it's electrical at all but very worrying all the same. I can't call the RAC out for oil pressure related issues as it's already been towed up on that reason so they won't do it twice....

My suspicion is that when I last replaced the oil I installed a Toyota filter with a faulty drain back valve. I'm going to just change the filter for another Toyota one (different batch) and see if it does the same when I do the pressure test.

It seems that when the car is stood the oil is draining back.... it's like when you do the first start after an oil change, pretty much the same symptoms. Because I have a rev 2 bottom end the filter is vertical. Wonder if that doesn't help. Well for he sake of £10 it's got to be worth a shot when it stops raining...!

Feeling a bit gutted to say the least.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Try cranking the engine with the EFI fuse out then start it and see if it still does it. That should confirm oil filter and rule out something more serious.

Obviously getting a gauge on there sharpish is the best thing. I'm surprised you didn't have one fitted. I would say it's important following a rebuild.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Well the thing is you don't really expect it to be a problem do you, ironically. If the pump is turning and the clearances were done within spec and there's physically oil in there then it should be OK.

I'm going to look to get an omori one in there on place of the stock boost needle.

Great shout on the EFI, that won't xxxx around with my immobiliser or anything will it? Mind, to be on the side of caution I'm not going to do anything without Pete's say so to make sure nothing is my fault.
steven63

Post by steven63 »

my rev2 has been doing this now and then for years
androo007

Post by androo007 »

That's interesting, do you use Toyota filters? Fram (halfords) filters are known to not have the drain back valve.

New Toyota filter in, restart after 45 mins and looks to be perfect. Will check again later this afternoon but fingers crossed it was just a defective drainback valve. If so.....naughty naughty Mr T!
steven63

Post by steven63 »

i have always used toyota filters
Last edited by steven63 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Worth testing the old filter on the bench to confirm your theory....
androo007

Post by androo007 »

No such luck. Getting fed up. What's your thoughts Ash?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

you need to get a pressure gauge on it and see what's happening.

oil pressure should very quickly rise well above the low pressure warning level and stay there. if it is hovering around that level (if underlined, as it still hasn't been ruled out as an indication rather than actual mechanical issue) then something is wrong.

was the crank polished when the engine was built? what size bearings were fitted? what were the eventual oil clearances?

what oil pump is in there? old one reused, new genuine, new pattern?

on the previous oil drops since build were the old filters cut open and inspected? was the waste oil strained and inspected?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

There's a gauze filter on the pickup in the the sump - have you checked that isn't blocked ? ? (A bit of a PITA to check, I know)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Very true Rob, that's what worries me. Although when it went back to petes the first time oil pressure was measured (I.e 500 miles ago) and it was fine I assume.

Brand new Toyota pump, ACL bearings. Crank polished only no grinding.

Oil changed at petes after first breakdown, second by me - no although I do have it sat here in an old container. How would I strain it?

Will see if the gauges show good pressure (hoping so) or its back up to Barnsley - Gav unfortunately it's past my knowledge and I'm not gonna risk blowing any warranty!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

You can strain it through coffee filters, though if the container you drained it into has had used oil in it before it's already contaminated so straining it to see what (if any) bearing material, ferrous metal etc is in it is pointless

If you still have the old filter you can cut it open and check in the pleats for anything that shouldn't be there.

However... At this point in time you have an engine that is under warranty and you haven't done anything invasive to invalidate that. You need to do exactly what the builder tells you to do re: any testing, not running the engine any more, arranging for the car to be transported back to them for further investigation etc.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Right you are Rob. I have every confidence in Pete but fear it's going to be yet another trip up / train home and reverse...... odd one.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”