Stuck in low boost mode rev1 turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: Stuck in low boost mode rev1 turbo

Post by jimGTS »

a higher rated pump can potentially overwhelm the stock fpr and in turn raise fuel pressure.

more fuel pressure can effectively turn 540 injectors into say 560 injectors which will obviously make things run richer.
though the o2 sensor will correct things under idle and anything under positive boost to an extent.

i however wouldnt have thought it would be enough to bore wash an engine.
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

2mad wrote:
thomp1983 wrote:A constant blinking means there's no fault code. The only free thing you can do is fully check all boost and vacuum lines for splits

Yes .. this should defiantly be on your list of things to do .. check the bov too.

Thanks for the tips guys. How would be best to check the Bov? As you can tell i have not a clue with this sort of thing... although i appear to be learning quickly with all these things going on. ha.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wilko1985 wrote:
2mad wrote:
thomp1983 wrote:A constant blinking means there's no fault code. The only free thing you can do is fully check all boost and vacuum lines for splits

Yes .. this should defiantly be on your list of things to do .. check the bov too.

Thanks for the tips guys. How would be best to check the Bov? As you can tell i have not a clue with this sort of thing... although i appear to be learning quickly with all these things going on. ha.

I just use lung power , blow into the inlet , if it leaks atall its not going to hold boost ... make sure to wipe it first dont want oil all round you gob haha
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

2mad wrote:
wilko1985 wrote:
2mad wrote:

I just use lung power , blow into the inlet , if it leaks atall its not going to hold boost ... make sure to wipe it first dont want oil all round you gob haha

haha, the simplest methods are the best :D . ill give it a go :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wilko1985 wrote:
2mad wrote:
wilko1985 wrote:

haha, the simplest methods are the best :D . ill give it a go :thumleft:

To check your vac lines i would use a footpump , i can post a vid on how to do this .. trust me its a life saver for a £4.50 delivered layout .. vac lines are the bane of my existence :cyclops:
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

2mad wrote:
wilko1985 wrote:
2mad wrote:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wilko1985 wrote:
2mad wrote:
wilko1985 wrote:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

To test vac lines just T in an old boost gauge and you can see if theres any leak better that the pump bull crap gauge .... like i said its just over 3 quid and so helpful for turbo and vac problems if your creative :thumleft:
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Some misquoting going on there, kev (2mad) has the video on testing vac lines
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

thomp1983 wrote:Some misquoting going on there, kev (2mad) has the video on testing vac lines

Indeed you are correct. I was rushing on the mobile.
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

2mad wrote:
wilko1985 wrote:
2mad wrote:
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

Just thought I'd post a quick update guys.

Ended up taking the car to luke at Pacific works. Was a huge help and ran some tests on multiple components. The blow of valve is definitely nakered. The Boost was adjusted to take it up to a healthy number so now I just need to get a replacement bov.

Time to get hunting :)
Last edited by wilko1985 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wilko1985 wrote:Just thought I'd post a quick update guys.

Ended up taking the car to luke at Pacific works. Was a huge help and ran some tests on multiple components. The blow of valve is definitely nakered. The Boost was adjusted to take it up to a healthy number so now I just need to get a replacement bof.

Did think that could be the problem ... mine did the same thing ... glad your sorted bud :thumleft:
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

2mad wrote:

Ended up taking the car to luke at Pacific works. Was a huge help and ran some tests on multiple components. The blow of valve is definitely nakered. The Boost was adjusted to take it up to a healthy number so now I just need to get a replacement bof.

Did think that could be the problem ... mine did the same thing ... glad your sorted bud :thumleft:

Thanks bud, cheers for the help throughout :thumleft:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

You mean Driftlimits Performance! :wink:

Was a pleasure. Next time maybe we'll go play in the Ultima :thumleft:

Luke
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wilko1985 wrote:
2mad wrote:

Thanks bud, cheers for the help throughout :thumleft:

Always happy to have a crack at a problem ... my car had every single one lol ](*,) ..

Kev.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”