Quick question need help to do with steering

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

caldridge7

Quick question need help to do with steering

Post by caldridge7 »

I have spax 40mm lowering springs all around iv been dealing with a steering issue and noticed my rear springs the 5 bottom coils all sit on each other on both side of the rear...my question is is this correct?
stuMR2lee

Re: Quick question need help to do with steering

Post by stuMR2lee »

I have the same springs. Haven't noticed any issues such as you. Smaller/tighter coils should be at the top, and the larger coils at the bottom.

I was having vague/floaty steering issues and this has been vastly improved by swapping KYB top mounts for new Blueprint ones. The KYB ones felt too loose to me.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Anyway you can show me a pic of your rear coil springs as the car sits normally as so I can see and compare it to mine as we have the same springs
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Best I can do as the arch gap is so small!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8LEni ... p=drivesdk

Top coils look like they touch each other.

Yours are probably the other way up to mine. This is how I have done my fronts: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8LEni ... p=drivesdk
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Lots of debate on the interweb about which way up they should go or whether it makes any difference. I can't remember if they have the same flat bit on the top like stock springs. If so then it's easy to see which way up they should go and all 4 springs must be the same way.

Some say that the writing on the springs should be the right way up. With mine I think one side was one way up and the other side the other way up - not much help.

The thing that made the most difference/improvement to mine were the new Blueprint top mounts and decent alignment. My car is fully Polybushed and has new ball joints, track rod ends and inner track ends.
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Just to follow up here's a picture I took of a rear Spax spring today that's about to be fitted to a friends car: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8LEni ... p=drivesdk

As the flat bit goes at the top against the top mount (as per a stock spring) it confirms that the tighter coils should also be at the top even though the writing on the springs would actually be upside down.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”