MR2 PRICES.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: MR2 PRICES.

Post by Martin F »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
Martin F wrote:

6 Years ago a Ferrari 355 could be had for 25k, now they are going for double that, see a business opportunity here maybe :-k , lol

It's knowing what is going to make the best money and having the cash to invest at the right time that's the problem. Also storage space

Very True :(
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

I also think a lot of us (myself included) couldn't afford the 205 GTi ot GT turbos etc when we were younger, and now we are older, the isnsurance is cheaper so we can now afford to have these "boyhood dreams" as a 2nd car.
This means there is more of an interest and subsequently the prices of good ones will rise
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:I also think a lot of us (myself included) couldn't afford the 205 GTi ot GT turbos etc when we were younger, and now we are older, the isnsurance is cheaper so we can now afford to have these "boyhood dreams" as a 2nd car.
This means there is more of an interest and subsequently the prices of good ones will rise

Yeah defo .. id love another RS white-lightning ... but 135hp would probably kill that mid life crisis dream pronto lol
benjo

Post by benjo »

My second car was a 205 gti when I was 19 I'm now 36,it was one of my
Favourite cars I've owned but build quality was shocking and fell to bits
At five years old! :thumleft:
Too weird to live, to rare to die
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

I don't get why people complain about the prices of mr2 going up. The way I see it is that all the time money and effort we put into our cars is now a little bit more worthwhile
japaneseskoda

Post by japaneseskoda »

mistertubby2 wrote:What a hike in mr2 prices. Some turbo sellers are asking silly money for cars that are not that good been looking for one for a while and looked on ebay listings ended there is a most of the expensive ones not sold.Perhaps sellers are getting a bit gready.

If when selling you get back what you spent on your car when buying it then surely that is good news in a world where most cars just drop to the price of the weight of scrap metal.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

japaneseskoda wrote:
mistertubby2 wrote:What a hike in mr2 prices. Some turbo sellers are asking silly money for cars that are not that good been looking for one for a while and looked on ebay listings ended there is a most of the expensive ones not sold.Perhaps sellers are getting a bit gready.

If when selling you get back what you spent on your car when buying it then surely that is good news in a world where most cars just drop to the price of the weight of scrap metal.

It is, that's why my next daily will be something that fits into this bracket, last daily I had was an audi a3 tdi, worked out to be losing well over 2k per year in depreciation alone, now that's burning money Imo 8-[
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Martin F wrote:
japaneseskoda wrote:

It is, that's why my next daily will be something that fits into this bracket, last daily I had was an audi a3 tdi, worked out to be losing well over 2k per year in depreciation alone, now that's burning money Imo 8-[

Damn Martin thats burning money ... im a tight ass id never get stung like that (no a fence mate) ... there must be better options shurly 8-[
mister two

Post by mister two »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
Martin F wrote:

6 Years ago a Ferrari 355 could be had for 25k, now they are going for double that, see a business opportunity here maybe :-k , lol

It's knowing what is going to make the best money and having the cash to invest at the right time that's the problem. Also storage space

This

There's loads of examples of cars shooting up in value but to make money isn't that easy

I wish I had a crystal ball when the bmw z8 came out. They struggled to sell them at 80k now they trade hands for 200k....
Kyyanno

Post by Kyyanno »

mister two wrote:

I wish I had a crystal ball when the bmw z8 came out. They struggled to sell them at 80k now they trade hands for 200k....

Coincidentally, I actually saw one of these on the road last weekend, it's the first time I've seen one outside of a James Bond Cars exhibit! :D
mister two

Post by mister two »

If the owners had it for a while he might not realise the gold mine he's sitting on lol
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Kyyanno wrote:
mister two wrote:

Coincidentally, I actually saw one of these on the road last weekend, it's the first time I've seen one outside of a James Bond Cars exhibit! :D

I remember a while back the local BMW dealership had one for sale for months

Ex-demonstrator with a fewK onthe clock and I remember thinking thats one hell of a bargain.... was about £50K
Sadly I didn't have 50k at the time :evil:
Woody928

Post by Woody928 »

I wouldn't begrudge it at all that prices are on the rise. Whether you own a Turbo or NA (MK2) both versions seem to be increasing in value and rightly so. As we all know there's no other mid engined sports car that comes close to the performance at anywhere near the price bracket that they are at.

Arguably Toyota won't be making one again and if so the quality won't be the same these days. Its a car that's always floated under the radar both on the road and the classified sheets only really valued by those in the know. Its about time that the good cars are being recognized for their value, and I would say good for all of the sellers who are starting to price their cars slightly more appropriately.

I've always looked at it this way, how much would it cost me to replace the vehicle if it was stolen, written off etc. If you look at it in those terms a lot of members cars are woefully undervalued.

Its easy to say if only you knew what to purchase when and spot a trend. My old man purchased an Austin Healey about 10 years ago because he's always liked them. By chance since he's owned the car its doubled in value which we consider to be madness however its the way the market goes.

If you want an even more crazy example of someone having no clue as to the true value of a vehicle, a family friends father owns a Jaguar D-Type which he uses locally on a regular basis locally, he was oblivious as to any value that the vehicle may hold. We pointed him towards Bonham's to give him a heads up and he was horrified.

It all comes down to supply and demand and what its worth to someone. Sooner or later the market will catch up with MR2's and people will look back and laugh at the smalls sums of money that they paid now.
a6905608

Post by a6905608 »

I've got my rev3 na tin top for sale everywhere at £1800 ONO and have had no interest at all....
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

a6905608 wrote:I've got my rev3 na tin top for sale everywhere at £1800 ONO and have had no interest at all....

Is this the one that's got a Cat C marker on it?
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... t=#1672566

Not surprising really, that will put off a lot of people.
a6905608

Post by a6905608 »

Yes, that's the one - I understand that the Cat C marker is not a selling point but what should I expect to get for the car? I'm trying to upload photos but seem unable to - you can see photos here: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... 002714?v=c
androo007

Post by androo007 »

A cat d will reduce desirability.... a cat c even more.

My personal price if I was to offer would be around 700-800 on a good day.
a6905608

Post by a6905608 »

[quote="androo007"]My personal price if I was to offer would be around 700-800 on a good day.[/quote]

I mught just put a cover on it then, and wait for the value to rise...
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

a6905608 wrote:
androo007 wrote:My personal price if I was to offer would be around 700-800 on a good day.

I mught just put a cover on it then, and wait for the value to rise...

If you can afford to do that then that may well be a good option, but it will always have a lower value due to the cat status.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”