Big steering issue!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

caldridge7

Big steering issue!

Post by caldridge7 »

I made a recent thread regarding my steering issue that has got worse over time, Basically when going on a long left slow bend doing 50-60 mph the car will randomly sway... I took it to a garage where all they could find was that the n/s/f wheel bearing was wrecked...I changed that today and sadly has not changed a thing.

My issue is that it's a serious problem enough that when the car sways left to right I have to brake to correct it,

I'm really hoping maybe someone has experienced this before and that someone can share the advice!
thomp1983

Re: Big steering issue!

Post by thomp1983 »

Only person I know who's had a similar issue found it was the rear bush in the rear hubs he couldn't find any play but changing them cured it.
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Does it sway when doing a constant speed? Or is it under acceleration or braking too?

Sounds like some sort of worn bush on the rear, but could be any of the suspension components really.

What tyres are you running? Small chance its that but my car came with brand new Toyo T1R tyres on 17" wheels (correctly staggered) and it felt horrific. The sidewalls flexed so much I was genuinly worried the car was going to be in a ditch if I went over 60-70mph, it used to rock side to side on the motorway. I swapped them for some OEM wheels with Slightly worn T1R tyres and it feels like a completely different car, no more swaying around its completely planted. Worth a shot atleast if you are running aftermarket wheels :thumleft:
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Well what happens is imagine a long slow bend to the left the out of know where the cars body will sway left to right, almost like doing 60 in a straight Road and quickly turning left then right.. Basically like a bleeding boat..haha

It's crazy tbh reminds me of tankslapping...

It's only when going left.
It's got worst since putting bigger tyres on the back but the problem was there before.

Is it easy to change these rear hub bushes?

And a quick question my rear coil springs when wheels are on the floor the 5 bottom coils are all sandwich together on both sides anyone know if that's correct, think they are spax 40mm lowering springs on original shocks.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

And also it's when ever, as like I can be chilling at 50-60 mph going left and it will randomly do it.
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

Ok well thats the tyres ruled out. I'd be inclined to say its something on the rear. Although 4 wheel alignment is always a good thing to do I dont think that will be the problem. I'm not sure about the spax springs but I run them too so can go an have a look.

Other than that, you've got the suspension top mounts, lower balljoints, spring/damper, and control arm bushes. The weird thing is if one of the balljoints or bushes had totally failed I'd expect it to feel abit wobbly all the time :-k have you checked all the bolts are torqued up? Jack the car up and give the wheel a good pull with your hands at 12 and 6, then 9 and 3. Check for any play.
benjo

Post by benjo »

Could it be play in steering rack?
Too weird to live, to rare to die
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Bump,

Changed rear coil springs and dampers yet no change.... What the hell am I dealing with as I have no idea
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

i'd be booking it in for a proper 4 wheel alignment check, some places will check it for you free of charge.

Whilst it's up on the ramp check all the bushes for excess play. :thumleft:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

There is no single answer without checking the setup as there are too many parts that could be involved.

Every bush could be worn out due to the age of these cars now, one or more of them on one side could cause all sorts of problems.

The rear subframe could be lose even, doubt it but needs checking

Tie rods or the bushes they connect with.

ball joints. Found that they are really hard to spot for wear when on the car, too mine off and it was really lose and past it. Not 3 weeks before it passed an MOT. Only way to test was to remove them from the hub and the slack was obvious then.

top mounts, they go soft, split etc.

Drop links, are they straight? Also the bushes for the ARB and the metal mount for the bushes.

Of course the bushes for the swing arm and tension rod could also be worn.

This is all assuming it's the rear causing the issue?
The front has a similar list of parts.

I have found these cars a little sensitive to tyre pressure, what are you running?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

as i said at the start of this thread, the only person i know to have had the exact same issue was bri weekes with his ferrari rep on twobrutal, his issue was the spherical bush at the rear of the hub, he changed everything chasing it, that bush shows no sign of wear even when failed.

to fix the hub needs removing the old bush pressing out and then a new one pressed in, there about £15 each on ebay but are a camry and supra part and you will need to source bigger bolts and drill the tie rod hole to fit them
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

What's the easiest way to check that bush out of interest?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

There doesn't appear to be a way to check it as it's a spherical bearing
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've got similar issues, changed everything apart from steering rack. Will get torque settings checked first though.

Everything else is brand new with the exception of the rear sub frame track rods that you can't replace the bushes on but I have swapped the while sub frame for another with new tie rods too...... No difference.

It's ruined the car for me, horrible to drive.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Rob wrote:

It's ruined the car for me, horrible to drive.

Thats awful, hope this thread comes through for you guys .
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Put it this way mate, I can't drive my mr2 back to driving to corsa...still no clue what is wrong
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

I had something similar, but maybe more extreme. It would properly tank slap on the motorway doing 60/70. Turned out to be a broken captive nut in the rear crossmember which holds the rear front tie rod.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Sadly mines not that but I think mine is very extreme.... I can't drive the car anymore
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've swapped out my subframe too, it wasn't that either....
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Hey rob what tyre sizes you running front to back?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”