Turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Charged
IMOC Committee

Turbo

Post by Charged »

Any ideas where I can buy a bolt on turbo for my REV3 converted mk1.5? My ct20b is smoking badly. Also, recommendations for where to get a turbo refurb done and rough costs would be great :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
markstevieandmads

Re: Turbo

Post by markstevieandmads »

Bob Hatton?
craig

Post by craig »

Got my CT20b refurbished in 2015 by universal turbos for £612.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

turbo techniques maybe upgrade it aswell to a hybrid... more power
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

markstevieandmads wrote:Bob Hatton?

I would contact Bob as well, he will not just advise but may be able to build it for you as well... :thumleft:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Refurbished CT20 with 2 year guarantee bought from TCB this morning for £450 next day delivery. Amazing service as ever :thumleft:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Charged wrote:Refurbished CT20 with 2 year guarantee bought from TCB this morning for £450 next day delivery. Amazing service as ever :thumleft:

That's a great price! Is that a brand new rebuild with stock internals?
craig

Post by craig »

mr2nut123 wrote:
Charged wrote:Refurbished CT20 with 2 year guarantee bought from TCB this morning for £450 next day delivery. Amazing service as ever :thumleft:

Not a bad price that. The £612 I paid was for a full recondition (came back looking like a brand new turbo), steel wheel/shaft and 360 degree thrust washer to replace the 270 degree stock item.

So essentially, an upgraded CT20b to replace the weak parts of the stock item.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

craig wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:

Not a bad price that. The £612 I paid was for a full recondition (came back looking like a brand new turbo), steel wheel/shaft and 360 degree thrust washer to replace the 270 degree stock item.

Does it produce more power than stock Craig? Did you get a before and after? I'm due a clutch soon, so i'm going to replace with one good for 400hp for future proofing. What is safe maximum power from a rev3 without forging and spending a bomb? I was thinking, a slightly uprated CT20 would be a good route as it would work with stock ECU too.
craig

Post by craig »

mr2nut123 wrote:
craig wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:

Does it produce more power than stock Craig? Did you get a before and after? I'm due a clutch soon, so i'm going to replace with one good for 400hp for future proofing. What is safe maximum power from a rev3 without forging and spending a bomb? I was thinking, a slightly uprated CT20 would be a good route as it would work with stock ECU too.

Didn't get a before and after power figure mate. I had the upgrades done with focus on durability, rather than power increase.

Extract from turbo dynamics page here on comparing the stock 270 degree thrust bearing, compared with the 360 degree item I have fitted to mine:

Fitting a 360 degree Thrust Bearing increases the reliability of your turbocharger and allows a safer way of running high boost pressures. The thrust bearing is under heavy pressure when the turbocharger is operating, the larger surface area of a 360 thrust bearing (as opposed to a traditional 270 degree unit) is better equipped to cope with these axial loads. A 360 degree thrust bearing is recommended if you intend running more than one bar (14.7 psi) of boost. Running high boost on a standard thrust bearing can lead to premature turbo failure and a big bill!

The 360 thrust bearing is in addition to a steel wheel and shaft.

On a stock rev 3 engine with stock internals, I wouldn't go more than 1.1 bar.

:thumleft:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Arrived today.. very shiny, brand new and generally sparking. Steel shaft and wheel to boot!
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Charged wrote:Arrived today.. very shiny, brand new and generally sparking. Steel shaft and wheel to boot!

Awesome. Interested to see what power you make it it. Mind keeping me updated? Is your engine rev3 and stock?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I'll run it at 18psi.. Stock engine, Rev 2 block but Rev 3 converted with an ST205 chargecooler.. No plan to rolling road it but may do at some point..
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

QUOC2008 wrote:turbo techniques maybe upgrade it aswell to a hybrid... more power

... but slower spool up on a hybrid turbo.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

craig wrote:

They did mine in 2015, although I chose the upgrade option - the difference to yours being a larger compressor and turbine wheels, housing machined to match, with incotinel metal internals.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

rev3gtturbo wrote:
craig wrote:

They did mine in 2015, although I chose the upgrade option - the difference to yours being a larger compressor and turbine wheels, housing machined to match, with incotinel metal internals.

Is that their hybrid option at around £600 then? Did you ever get the car on the dyno before and after to see what extra power it can offer?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”