How to remove foam in the sills?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

How to remove foam in the sills?

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey all, quick question for you…

Can anyone tell me how to access and remove the foam which I understand Toyota fit into the inner sills…. the foam that I understand absorbs and holds water and ultimately aids the rise of rust which we all know plagues the MR2's sills.

Since getting the new Rev1 which has been garaged it's whole life till now I'm trying to take every rust prevention measure I can. Another waxoyl is on the cards in the next few weeks but I want to remove this foam which I understand is otherwise pointless if it is another genuinely preventative action?

A picture guide would be great if anyone has one?

Many thanks
SonicSW20

Re: How to remove foam in the sills?

Post by SonicSW20 »

Remove the panel that covers the rear speaker and seatbelt. It's held in with two plastic rivet pin things at the bottom inside the storage bin. The rest of it is just held on with the plastic clips like the door cards and sill covers are, so just carefully pull it off.

Drivers side has the engine lid release, so you need to remove the trim for that first. It's held in with a small JIC/Phillips screw.

Insert hand into cavity, grab foam, remove hand.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Whilst you are at it have you considered something like dynax s50 rather than basic wax oil
Can be found at bilthamber.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I used Dynax - GREAT stuff.

You dont need half as much as they tell you though - 1 can is enough for sill cavity, inner sills, rear arches... with more left to go.
cosmos

Foam

Post by cosmos »

I removed my foams years ago and even now i wonder, the foam absorbed condensation and held it, but without the foam does condensation still drain into a blind spot but evaporate better than if held in the foam.
Good Luck with the new 2...
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hmmm.

OK so removing the foam sounds easy enough. The question now then would appear therefore to be whether to remove it or leave it?

Presumably Mr T put it there at cost for a reason after a good amount of R&R...
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

HighwayStar wrote:Hmmm.

OK so removing the foam sounds easy enough. The question now then would appear therefore to be whether to remove it or leave it?

Presumably Mr T put it there at cost for a reason after a good amount of R&R...

I've had thoughts about that too, my guess would be it needs dried out every once in a while and put back in place?
As said they wouldn't have put it there for no good reason and it is just like anything else on a car that it just requires maintenance :-k
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It's just a bit of sound deadening. Safe to remove at the expense of a little bit more road noise. Chances are the wind noise from original window / door / t bar seals is louder than any additional noise from removing the foam anyway.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Well yesterday I removed the foam and my body shop put over three full tins of Waxoyl into every nook and crevice imaginable. Sills, arches, doors, wing cavities and then a good amount of the black stuff underneath as well.

Hopefully it'll be good now for another twenty five years….

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”