Car sways when turning left only on a long slow bend!?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

caldridge7

Car sways when turning left only on a long slow bend!?

Post by caldridge7 »

Hey everyone,

Since I bought the car I have always had this crazy sway effect when only turning left, like a long road slow left it's extremely weird and hard to explain but it has made me apply the brake to sort it out as it just messes with the whole control of the car...

Just wondering if anyone has advice for my problem.

Just a note, my tyre sizes and 205/40/z17 all around, I did also just change my rear alloys with 225/45/17 tyres on just to see if it would help and it seemed to be worse so I'm back to my 205/40/17 tyres..

But I'm debating if it's even to do with the tyres.

Any help is much appreciated
SonicSW20

Re: Car sways when turning left only on a long slow bend!?

Post by SonicSW20 »

When was the last time you had the alignment checked?

As it's only apparent when turning in one direction, I think it's going to be suspension related.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

I just had four wheel alignment and all is good but still never got rid of it. And ah I see what do you think maybe wrong with the suspension?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Not sure, but any combination of worn ball joints, bushes, dampers, can cause wayward handling. I can't really be more specific than inspect / test everything!
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Okay, I'll have a look at everything and see if I can see anything abnormal
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

That happen to me on my 1st mr2 i owned it was my bushes on the sway bar that were cracked and worn. hope this helps
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Rear camber/toe being out on one side or not adjusted correctly could easily cause this issue... Feels a little like it's on ice where it breaks traction on a corner?
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

I had free visual health check at kwik fit and the only thing he said was wrong was that my n/s/f passenger side wheel bearing has play and has a rumble when turning the wheel my question is could this really cause my steering issue??
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Not sure, but any combination of worn ball joints, bushes, dampers, can cause wayward handling. I can't really be more specific than inspect / test everything!

This, it will probably be something very simple to fix but non obvious on the eye, It is a case of getting under the car and giving a visual inspection on all suspension and steering parts, if that fails take the car to someone in the Game :-k
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

caldridge7 wrote:I had free visual health check at kwik fit and the only thing he said was wrong was that my n/s/f passenger side wheel bearing has play and has a rumble when turning the wheel my question is could this really cause my steering issue??

If the bearing is out then it will need changed sooner rather than later, get it changed and see how the car feels. After all, if left it can drastically cause uneven tyre wear so could be contributing to the issue.
As for Kwik fit, that's not even the last place I would put a car for diagnoses, staff are 18 year old wannabes and 21 year old job centre rejects and that is just through my experiences and friends from many years ago...
I wouldn't trust them to clean a workshop floor, just saying :lol:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

I've recently had something that sounds similar with my tubby. It turned out to be failing struts on the rears, along with spherical bearing arms on the back which were dangerous with stock suspension. My car had coilovers robbed off the car before I bought it, so stock arms should have gone back on.

Have you had your car a while or have you just recently bought it?
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

Iv owned it for 1 year it's running on 40mm lowering spax suspension springs all around, I'll get the wheel bearing down but sadly I don't see that changing the sway motion when turning left.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”