colour change

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

EvilPanda

colour change

Post by EvilPanda »

hello. I have got a dilemma in my head for last 2 moths, what colour should I choose for my mr2 mk2.
options:
Leave it black as it is,
candy apple read
napier green
tarocco orange
Regards,
Evil Panda
Kyyanno

Re: colour change

Post by Kyyanno »

May I suggest posting some visual references of what these shades of colours actually are? "Candy Apple Red" probably varies depending on who you ask, and lord only know what "Napier" and "Tarocco" are without some kind of context :P
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Just leave it black, to do a re-spray of the chosen colours professionally, both on the outside and inside (as much as you can without removing everything), will be more hassle and cost more than the car is likely to be worth....

Pics may help though :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Agree with martin, get a good black paint job.. then you don't have to worry about shutlines etc
EvilPanda

Post by EvilPanda »

sorry, but yeah, the pictures would be good idea when I asked about that. sorry.
I cant post url yet but if u guys type in in google mclaren tarocco orange and napier green u will get a pictures of what I am thinking about.
well I am almost fully qualified painter, so will manage to get all shuts colour changed. harder question is which colour. would love to get it sorted before next year jap festival so could meat u all in real life. no I am just reading all post and topics and teasing me self LOL
currently car is black, got some rust hear and there, and some mapping from previous paint job.
MR2Jimmy

Post by MR2Jimmy »

Hey mate,

I am having the same dilemma as well.
Mine is the original faded red, more like pinkish red now.

I would suggest you try wrapping part of your car to see how it looks before you spend a fortune on a paint job.

It would be a good reference
outrun

Post by outrun »

Stick with standard.

Mine was black and I have just had it done black, again.

Dame

Post by Dame »

I would seriously recommend you leave it black. My MK2 is red, it looks lovely but attracts complete w*nkers who consistently try and race me / cut me up etc. I'm sure a lot of this is because the colour makes it stick out like a sore thumb and ripe for challenging. Mind you if you like that sort of thing, go for your life!
mister two

Post by mister two »

Apart from red the best colours for a mk2 are darker colours IMO

Black, dark blue, dark purple, dark bluey purple
2mad

Post by 2mad »

mister two wrote:Apart from red the best colours for a mk2 are darker colours IMO

Black, dark blue, dark purple, dark bluey purple

Yeah defo .. dark side for me tooo :thumleft:
EvilPanda

Post by EvilPanda »

Dark you say. hmmm.... Black. ok then which black? :D
solid black?
metalic black?
or black of any other car?
i will have to respray anyway lol
Just don't say mat black :D
mister two

Post by mister two »

A deep metallic black

Check out Lexus celestial black
craig

Post by craig »

EvilPanda wrote:Dark you say. hmmm.... Black. ok then which black? :D
solid black?
metalic black?

Mine was originally 202 astral black. It's had a bare shell respray in 100% black pigment - jet black. :thumleft:

2mad

Post by 2mad »

craig wrote:
EvilPanda wrote:Dark you say. hmmm.... Black. ok then which black? :D
solid black?
metalic black?

Mine was originally 202 astral black. It's had a bare shell respray in 100% black pigment - jet black. :thumleft:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/Re ... zylchl.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/Re ... 99qtqm.jpg

Yes ... that :thumleft: .. no added colours or preservatives \:D/
craig

Post by craig »

:mrgreen:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Dame wrote:I would seriously recommend you leave it black. My MK2 is red, it looks lovely but attracts complete w*nkers who consistently try and race me / cut me up etc. I'm sure a lot of this is because the colour makes it stick out like a sore thumb and ripe for challenging. Mind you if you like that sort of thing, go for your life!

HaHa, I get that all the time, it's getting ridiculous to be honest, nothing to do with the colour i'm afraid...

Every 10th car that has between 70bhp and maybe 200 bhp tailgates me, many audis but anything worth smokin' doesn't bother.
outrun

Post by outrun »

craig wrote::mrgreen:

Jet black is what I had mine done in, too. :mrgreen:
Kyyanno

Post by Kyyanno »

Martin F wrote:
Dame wrote:I would seriously recommend you leave it black. My MK2 is red, it looks lovely but attracts complete w*nkers who consistently try and race me / cut me up etc. I'm sure a lot of this is because the colour makes it stick out like a sore thumb and ripe for challenging. Mind you if you like that sort of thing, go for your life!

HaHa, I get that all the time, it's getting ridiculous to be honest, nothing to do with the colour i'm afraid...

Every 10th car that has between 70bhp and maybe 200 bhp tailgates me, many audis but anything worth smokin' doesn't bother.

Get it sprayed SMG, nothing bothers you then as for some reason no-one expects a car that colour to go quickly it seems XD
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

My MR2 is black and I'm getting it sprayed at the moment as I've just had enough of keeping it clean, so am opting for a different colour :lol:

It just does my head in spending 4-5 hours washing, drying, polishing and then waxing only for it to look dull and unloved after only a couple of days :eye: As a result it only gets washed every month and looks rubbish most of the time. It may be different if people live in the city etc. I suppose.

I'm now forking out a shed load to finally get a decent respray done in a colour which I've always loved, and intend to keep the car for a long time now as a result \:D/

From what I've heard Candy colours are extremely difficult to spray consistently across all panels - also very expensive! I initially wanted to go this colour but nobody wanted to have a go at Candy paint:

Also can attest to the fact that nobody ever wants to play when I'm in the MR2, could be the colour :(
EvilPanda

Post by EvilPanda »

CalMac wrote:My MR2 is black and I'm getting it sprayed at the moment as I've just had enough of keeping it clean, so am opting for a different colour :lol:

It just does my head in spending 4-5 hours washing, drying, polishing and then waxing only for it to look dull and unloved after only a couple of days :eye: As a result it only gets washed every month and looks rubbish most of the time. It may be different if people live in the city etc. I suppose.

I'm now forking out a shed load to finally get a decent respray done in a colour which I've always loved, and intend to keep the car for a long time now as a result \:D/

From what I've heard Candy colours are extremely difficult to spray consistently across all panels - also very expensive! I initially wanted to go this colour but nobody wanted to have a go at Candy paint:

Also can attest to the fact that nobody ever wants to play when I'm in the MR2, could be the colour :(

well this is my favorite colour actually. i was thinking doing mine in candy apple red on black basecoat. and I would love to give a go on candy colour application, just to get a taste of what it is and why it is so difficult. in the end of the day I must to be capable doing that, right? I been quated £400 for candy paint and basecoat + good clear coat 3 coats, just to have enought film to play with polishing.

so long story short, will get rid of the rust, dents and all imperfections from previous repair. will leave it will respray in black for now, will try to get some parts of the car in candy apple red during the winter bad weather.
will stay away from a body kit for now. might be front lip and rear spoiler will be replaced latter. I HATE THAT I CANT POST URL!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”