Any ideas after timing belt swap

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Any ideas after timing belt swap

Post by Ryan S »

Davsurfa wrote:I'll be honest, it's on the drive and it's lashing down with rain so I'll pull it apart tomorrow before work and let you know but I'm pretty certain it is. As always you lot are awesome, cheers

I was gonna say "excellent news" but I suppose it's not. Would be better if it was an easy fix but at least if it's that then you'll know!
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Well I was out of ideas completely so at least I have something to go on and sorting it is easy, just gotta put the time in
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I though it common to have the dizzy on wrong way making it 180 out?
Not that OP would of removed it to do the belt anyway
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

OK so I've set the dips on the crank to the zero mark, lined the cams up, still no difference.
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

The dizzy cap hasn't moved or been touched.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Did you read my last post?
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Quick explanation as to why it wouldn't fire up. The crank pulley was lined up properly, however the cams had two white marks and the casing also had a white mark. I was lining up the dot and s with the white mark, I should of lined up the second white mark with the white mark on the casing. When I realised this I spent 10 minutes swearing about previous owners! Now with the cams actually set up properly and the cam lined up I turned the key only to I have a flat battery! Quick jump start off a friends Pug and low and behold she lives! All is good in the world again!

Note the two white marks on the pulley and the white mark on the casing!
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Best advice after all of this, ignore anything anyone has written, drawn, scratched or marked in any way anywhere on your engine.
And the 4 dots that are on the crank pulley apparently are nothing to do with the timing(unlike what I was told by a mechanic!) but there is a groove on the edge of the pulley that lines up with the zero point on the plastic cover.

Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Huge thanks to one and all for your help(and yes it was 180 out on the crank and about 10 in opposite directions on the cams)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Glad you got there in the end :thumleft:
Last edited by ashley on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Excellent news mate, I assume everything is ok engine wise? I know they are non interference engines but still! Snapping a belt is worrying all the same!

At least it's sorted and was a quick diagnosis!
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Your cam alignment is still odd though. The bgb clearly states that the dot on the cam spoke ist to line up with the raised portion of the backplate (visible in your last pic. Go one tooth further left of where your white line is and look at the backplate - there is a raised vertical 'line'). The cam gear itself also has three holes, one inline with the dot on the spoke and one each approx. 15 degrees before and after the dot that can line up with a set pin in the camshaft itself. This means the cam gear can only be +/- 15 degrees out
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

The cams were out both by one tooth. The car wouldn't rev over 4k, took it apart again today re-laid everything up, the tensioner didn't release when I started the car so it skipped. This time I set the crank to - 10 flicked the engine over and the tensioner released. Checked the timing marks and they were all lined up. Engine mounts back on, covers on, took it for a spin and it now revs sweetly up past 4k all the way up to 7k.

I took it steady to start with, stereo off, windows open and listening very carefully for absolutely any strange noises but it purred so sweet! I have never been so relieved!

Next up is a nice and easy oil and filter change. On the plus side I don't have to worry about the belt changing for another 60k miles

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”