HELP !!!! alternator and battery problem

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nutz-bot-jap

HELP !!!! alternator and battery problem

Post by nutz-bot-jap »

hi guys heres my problem.

firstly car battery died so i used my e46 m3 battery on if for like 2 weeks then the other day driving home, car dies completely, i get it jumped by a octavia vrs, then it dies after like 2 mins (just got home)

so i instantly got a new alternator and belt from mr2 ben brand new fitted it and the problem persists,
the car can be jumped then as soon as i remove the jump leads the car dies mins after again

firstly iv checked the earths on the car fine, all done with a megger tester using ohms setting, all earths are fine.

i then meggered the 3 pin plug to find that the black and yellow wire is common to earth (engine) their is no resistance between the 3 pin plug yellow black wire and the engine, the other 2 wires have 99* so 100% resistance between the wires and earth

the next thing i done was a voltage check on the 3 pin plug with the car still attached to jump leads this time on a transit van
to recieve 13v on all 3 pins outs on the plug, iv meggered the wires through to the engine bay fuse box and found all 3 their.

im completly confused what the problem is and why my alternator will not charge the battery and keep the car running.

it firstly drained the m3 battery and then my original mr2 battery is now dead but still holding voltage.

what could my problem be seeming it drained the m3 battery first and now acts compltly the same with a new alternator.

please help thank you everyone
rev 2 tin top tubby black
project spark
creating my daily weapon slowly
5k spent and counting
nutz-bot-jap

Re: HELP !!!! alternator and battery problem

Post by nutz-bot-jap »

also i dont get any battery lights showing on the dash, even when the car is running and connected to the transit van no battery lights at all.
project spark
5k spent and counting
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

I had similar problem. No lights on dash and battery would die after a few days. So i changed battery, swapped alternator for a recon one and cleaned all earths. Still the same.

It was all ok untill the engine was warm but when engine was warm/hot every now and again the volt gauge would fluctuate from 11V - 13+V.

The only thing that was left to change was the engine loom itself. Changed that and now more problems. Bit of a balls ache swapping looms when engines in the car LOL
nutz-bot-jap

Post by nutz-bot-jap »

im having to do the exact same thing, iv just run a 12v feed from the yellow black wire from the alt plug to the fuse box and managed to keep the car running allowing the alternator to charge, but im having more troubles with the cooling fans now and reversing lights which all seem to be connected with the earths, so im now going to eliminate my problem by doing a full rev 3 loom conversion, at least ill get rid of the maf while doing so.
project spark
5k spent and counting

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”