weld an external wastegate to a standard cast manifold? Success!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dylan5084

Re: weld an external wastegate to a standard cast manifold? Success!

Post by dylan5084 »

I had Allen bolts but dropped them into the abyss, im guessing you based the rest of your facts on the fact I have bolts instead of Allen head screws. The wastegate works as it should, when I switch the boost controller to off it opens the waste gate at 0.5 bar and there's no leakage through the wastegate when I'm driving it... Id hear the screamer pipe. I don't know why it's not building boost I think it's bleeding through the internal wastegate I'm gonna tack the actuator rod to the housing so it doesn't move.
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

C35Rob wrote:I may be wrong..

if the car was building boost before you modified it, and it doesn't now, and the only thing you've done to the original toyota wastegate is disable it by pulling the hoses off it then it has to be the "tial" wastegate that is at fault

ive also went from 4 branch manifold to cast manifold with holes drilled in it fr the EWG port, leaving the actuator valve unassisted, i have blocked it off.

im going to change back to the actuator and see if i builds boost faster, if not i dont know whats wrong.
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

So I've changed it back to the actuator and just plumbed the EWG to open at spring pressure, and it's no better, im going to try blocking the EWG off see if this cures it, and if not I'm stumped.
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

Ok so I blocked the end of the EWG dump tube. No change.

Have worked the original actuator with a compressor and a pry bar on the rod and it clicked back into place! so I've welded a bit of steel onto the actuator rod to the housing, rough I know but I wanted to be sure it wouldn't move! And its worked... Ive yet to plumb the EWG back into the boost controller but it was building boost by 3k rpm in the short drive I took it.[/code]

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”