Mk2 2gr supercharged

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2mad

Re: Mk2 2gr supercharged

Post by 2mad »

PW@Woodsport wrote:They are XXR 968s , 17x10j rears and 17x9j front, both with a 20 offset, a little wide for my liking up front but these wheels don't come in many sizes.

For clearance on the front strut casing i need 3mm spacers, but a 5mm spacer makes the wheel rim flush with the TRD kit, so i will go with 5mm.

The rears need no spacer for clearance and line up flush with the kit.

Thanks for the response .. wow you not messing around =P~

:thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

If you're mounting the plate between the lights you may find a set of rev 1/2 rear lights improves the look…

I had my plate there for a few years mounted into a modified rev1 centre panel.

R
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

Sounds like a plan.

Just figured out the planned colour scheme is very similar to what my mate used back in the day on his wide-arch Fiat X/19 conversion (like this one):

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C246460

Think his paint was closer to yours though.

Great colour for a wide arch monster.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Great suggestion on the rev1/2 panel, I hadn't even considered that but you're right it would work much better, I will do that.

Thanks Geoff, hopefully I am not upsetting the TRD Tifosi too much with the rear light mods.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

So with a bad back/off work and a little time to kill i mocked up the new rear end with the suggested changes, a recessed and widened rev1/2 panel, 5 digit number plate (TBD), smoothed over bumper and reverse lights built into the clusters and of course the clusters moved outboard to meet the kit properly.

HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Nice. Definitely looks better than the recessed lights as per normal.

Personally I'd still like to see it with rev 1/2 lights…. I just think the straight lines may well suit the kit better than the round rev3 units…
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It would be a lot less work too if i used the early lights.... hmm decisions to make.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I am with the above.. would look better with early lights... :)

great work as usual paul will be epic when done
JD

Post by JD »

All that time and effort engineering something cool, and you put fake wheels on it. Paul please. I know this isn't StanceWorks but this deserves some genuine rolling stock.

I'm a wheel nazi because I can't build cool cars :lol:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

JD wrote:All that time and effort engineering something cool, and you put fake wheels on it. Paul please. I know this isn't StanceWorks but this deserves some genuine rolling stock.

I'm a wheel nazi because I can't build cool cars :lol:

:shock:

since you went there...

friends don't let friends buy fake wheels
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JD

Post by JD »

2mad wrote:wow you not messing around =P~

Actually he is messing around. Refer to Rob's post above :roll:

Real wheels or death!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I wasn't aware XXR wheels were unsafe?

Is this a widescale problem or isolated issues?
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I wasn't aware XXR wheels were unsafe?

Can you make sure you finish my car off first mate before you take yours out for a spin :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

JD wrote:
2mad wrote:wow you not messing around =P~

Actually he is messing around. Refer to Rob's post above :roll:

Real wheels or death!

Holly crap :shock: .. missed robs post first time round 8-[ .. thats scary :(
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I wasn't aware XXR wheels were unsafe?

They're pretty bad like, Chinese pot metal that explodes if you hit anything. I certainly wouldn't fit them to anything of value/with any power/that will be driven hard

I'm not going to lie, when I was younger and a lot poorer I did have a set myself, I span the car they were on, hit a kerb and it smashed a chunk out of the lip of the wheel, like literally 3" by about 3/4" of the wheel gone - a similar impact would have kerbed/maybe bent something decent quality

But then a set of xxr's are what? £650? Which is what you'd pay for one 18x9.5 work meister s1 3pc
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JD

Post by JD »

Yeah. XXRs are for kids in car parks that can't afford the real thing. We were all young and most of us poor with it at some stage but further down the line it's worth investing in the real thing. I actually find that you can get decent cast wheels for a steal if you really hunt for them. Forged less so, but still the same principal applies. Especially if they're so rare and unusual that they don't have enough scene appeal or recognition to drive prices up. Definitely keep an eye on wheelwhores, driftworks classifieds, places like that. Depending on your budget you can get some very decent wheels for just a few hundred - even with a refurb chucked in you're often quids in over a set of XXRs or Vorsteiners or whatever.
JD

Post by JD »

I'm not sure what offsets you're after but this is an example...

http://classifieds.wheel-whores.com/cla ... /view/8424

Like, a new set of XXRs at £650 or these at £750 in great condition?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I will have to give the wheels some thought, i am too far into them with tyres etc now to just give up on them.

I can't find anyone who has had a problem with the 968s though, i might have to suck it and see.
JD

Post by JD »

Well that can wait for a bit anyway. It's all about getting this thing running 👍
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Last weekend saw a lot of progress on the bodywork and a few special touches. I am using an old set of rev1 lights for mockup and getting the shape of the quarter panels right, so forgive the brackets holding them down for now, but with the quarters remodelled and the lights moved outboard (as i believe it really should have been) i have to say the result is fantastic, it makes the car look wider, more purposeful and no longer looks like someone added the kit as an afterthought, i'm very happy with this.

A new product for 2016, our rear diffuser still needs work before i can launch it but i have prototyped it into the TRD bumper which needed modifying, but it looks superb.

Also very happy with the Woodsport Kuki blade on this car, it gives it a very exotic look, i am also loving the spoilerless look of this car, so very tempted to leave the TRD wing off, i'm 90% sure it will not be fitted.

I've made my own steel hinge assembly for the fuel flap door, this was probably over designed by a factor of ten, but it has that very solid feel to it i wanted, still a lot of work to do here cosmetically. There is also a flaw in the kit at this point, the red lined area is not flat, ie not at 90* to the road, it tapers inboard at the bottom where it meets the skirt quite badly, so i have kicked the skirt out by 10mm in this area so that i can build the quarter up to the correct level and get it straight, i think Stevie Wonder molded that quarter.

Overview...

I have also decided to keep the original number plate location in the bumper, the centre panel will look loads better left plain.

Progress is slow as i only get a few hours per weekend on the car now but it will get there.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”