[Mk2] [Turbo] Dismantling power steering rack

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alex687

[Mk2] [Turbo] Dismantling power steering rack

Post by alex687 »

I had a reconditioned rack fit a couple years ago. Unfortunately it only had a 12 month warranty. I've had the car off the road for nearly a year now and noticed a bit of a wet patch under the front. Investigating I saw that oil (power steering fluid) was leaking from the inner end of the boot on the drivers side. I've got the rack off the car an on the bench now. The boot clip was surprisingly loose, in that the whole boot spun freely and almost came off without having to cut it free. There wasn't a huge build up of oil inside. I was hoping maybe it was just grease leaking from the inner joint but I guess it's not thin enough to leak and leave a damp patch like it had.

So anyway, has anyone any experience dismantling these. Looking at the repair manual I'm sure a full recondition is a tricky job but I'm hopeful that, as it is a recent rebuild, it is just one dodgy oil seal and a relatively easy fix...
alex687

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Dismantling power steering rack

Post by alex687 »

bump
ashley

Post by ashley »

They are pretty easy to dismantle, the tricky bit is putting the rack back into the housing without damaging any of the seals- a very delicate job.

You'll also need a way of measuring very low torque to turn to set the pre-load once you put it back together.

All very do'able, but with the potential to damage a seal or two...
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Yea I managed to take it apart. As soon as I pulled the rack out I noticed the spring that holds the drivers side seal snug against the rack was just loosely dangling on the rack shaft! and it was damaged. I guess when it was built not enough care was taken fitting the rack through the seal!

Return to “Mechanical”