[Mk2] [NA] How freely should a 1992 NA Rev?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mk2too

[Mk2] [NA] How freely should a 1992 NA Rev?

Post by mk2too »

As per the title above, i have a 1992 Rev 2 UK MR2.

Has extensive service history and I've just given it a plug change, oil and air filter.

My engine just seems to rev so slowly, I've had one before (albeit a good few years ago) and it just seemed livelier.

I've even gone as a far as looking at youtube videos to see how others rev and they all seem to want to rev a lot freer than mine.

No funny noises from the engine or misfiring etc, its not even slow as such, its just It seems to take ages and ages to climb through the revs and by the time its got to 5,000rpm where i believe some sort of valve should open, I just change as i think to myself poor old girl!

I know its a 95,000 old car, and I'm not expecting balastic speed or even a revvy VTEC just an engine that doesn't feel suffocated.

Any ideas on what to check for? maybe its a blocked CAT? would the wrong plugs cause this?

Thanks people!
Draven

Re: [Mk2] [NA] How freely should a 1992 NA Rev?

Post by Draven »

How does it rev in neutral? the rev's should freely jump up and down.

There no valves that open? that would be vvti.. which the mr2 didn't have.

Does the car judder under power

does it missfire at all?
Draven

Post by Draven »

I would think it is ignition related..

plugs, leads sparkies.

have you checked for codes?
mk2too

Post by mk2too »

Thanks for the replies, I haven't checked it in neutral would that elminate load issues?

Also havent checked for codes as haven't seen the eml pop up but guess it could have some stored.

I gather new leads, dizzy and rotor arm etc could be a good start too I suppose that is the next step!

Thank you :-)
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

I'd be checking cam timing first then ignition timing. I've seen a few with the cam timing out giving a similar problem.
mk2too

Post by mk2too »

mr2garageswindon wrote:I'd be checking cam timing first then ignition timing. I've seen a few with the cam timing out giving a similar problem.

Is that a home mechanic job? Also its due a belt in the next few thousand miles could a worn belt be the culprit?

Thanks
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

mk2too wrote:
mr2garageswindon wrote:I'd be checking cam timing first then ignition timing. I've seen a few with the cam timing out giving a similar problem.

Is that a home mechanic job? Also its due a belt in the next few thousand miles could a worn belt be the culprit?

Thanks

Depends how handy with the spanners you are and if confident enough to give it a go. Not much space to work in. I have seen "professional" mechanics suck teeth and say "no ta" to the job although plenty guys on here have had a go and done them no problem. Unlikely to have stretched that much to make a difference. I have also seen them leave a dealership a tooth out [-X

Worth looking at the simple things first, ignition components etc but as the belt is almost due well worth looking at replacement sooner rather than later.
mk2too

Post by mk2too »

I see, I'm confident to the extent where i will change plugs and oil but the timing is probably above me!

When i get the belt done i will ask them to take a look (providing they are happy to) and go from there.

thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I'm only in Kelvedon, I'd be happy to check the ignition and mechanical timing for you. Adjusting the ignition timing is easy, adjusting mechanical timing is a lot more involved (belt off etc).
mk2too

Post by mk2too »

Hi Gazza,

That is very kind of you! I will buzz you a pm :-) thanks George

Return to “Mechanical”