Fitting an SC engine lid on an NA?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jrleech

Fitting an SC engine lid on an NA?

Post by jrleech »

How big a job is it? The catch position is waaay off to the side, I remember seeing an extended bracket once, not sure how reliable it is?

What's the standard procedure??

Thanks,
Jon
superchargedsam

Re: Fitting an SC engine lid on an NA?

Post by superchargedsam »

jon recently on ebay there have been some flush fitting bonnet pins with locks with carbon tops you could use for this then just fit a hydrualic (spell checker plaese) push rod so that when you unlock the bolts it springs up ! This is what I will be doing as I have a spare SC lid going on an NA shell this winter and it saves alot of hassle ! They are about £20 and here a link to a finished auction with pics so you can see what I mean.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

mmm, interesting... I like that.

It all depends if my damaged SC lid is repairable, 3 of the corners were bashed in by parcel force...

Thanks,
Jon
superchargedsam

Post by superchargedsam »

parcel force equals shoddy service ! Should fix up ok as these lids are plastic so should be ok , are they cracked because if so they should fix up ok its just such a shame. You can get the hydrualic lifters off ebay or from twos r us and I have one on my SC lid and its superb as the original stay was busted anyway but its brilliant as it holds it right up out the way and lifts it up once u get it to about 4 inches from closed and is very useful mod and this couple with the locking bonnet pins should be a good combo. You could then cut off the whole bonnet catch mechanism and save yourself some wieght in the process and give a little more space to work in that cramped bay !
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

What i did was drill out the spot welds for the engine catch mount and move it along to required position then bolt through the spot weld holes that you've drilled out.

It works though wasn't incredibly pretty.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

Some excellent ideas. The SC lid I've got has got the corners bashed, basically the corner bits are folded round, i.e. they've snapped off. It is fibreglass, so should be easy to repair, it's just getting it just right might be hard. If it was a side that was bent, then you've got a straight edge to work too, but for a corner it's more difficult.

Thanks for the info,
Cheers,
Jon
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

karmaeleon do a fibreglass one which fits the na catch position http://www.karmeleon.co.uk/about.html
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

kevin..in wrote:karmaeleon do a fibreglass one which fits the na catch position http://www.karmeleon.co.uk/about.html

Does it have raised panels like the SC one? I'm not really interested in the weight, as the stock lid weighs very little anyway, it's just the SC lid keeps water out of the engine bay so much better!

I've checked the Karmeleon website, and there's no pictures of an engine lid to look at...

Cheers,
Jon
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

yes its a SC replica wtith na fittings think its an exchange unit but its not cheap £250.00 +P&P fire off an email alternatively try and get a MK2 turbo one and graft the vents into your na one
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

when i put the s/c lid onto the feral i used bonnet pins to hold it down (drilled where the rubber stoppers are in the lid and the chassis).
worked great for me and added the 'racer' feel..... :lol:

one of my friends purchased a aw11 that had had a 4agze eng lid swap and what they had done (previous owners) was weld and bolt a bent peice of steel bar onto the original lid tab doobie and to the lid itself that was in the right position for the na stricker.

i have a pic here, as soon as i find it i will post it up. beer is stopping me from finding it at the moment... :twisted:
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

haha me hearties... i'vd found it.

dex

Post by dex »

I cut the old catch off my SC cover and made a new one up. This consisted of a bit of bar bent into a 'U' shape welded to a 'L' shaped piece of flat steel at one end and a straight piece at the other. Four holes were drilled through the flat steel and I bolted it to the SC lid in the right place to engage the latch. I'll post a picture if you want.
Last edited by dex on Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardMorgan

Post by RichardMorgan »

Pic of Karmeleons SC lid to fit the NA. From the MR2 Mk1 Club website.
Posted by Richard Morgan
p_j_smith

Post by p_j_smith »

sure mine had the orginal catch removed (drilled out spot welds) then just a simple bracket to hold the catch, not very pretty but it works - just gets a little close to the intake on the engine.

I'll take a piccy tomorrow if you wish.

Peter

PS - Jon, I've still not fitted the speakers yet or finished the front end rebuild!!!!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

here is a pic of my moved catch:

I just drilled out the spot welds, moved the whole catch along then drilled holes through from the boot and bolted it.

pic before i moved it:

Before i moved the catch we used bunjee to hold it down as a temporary measure. Even with the bungee really tight at around 90mph the lid used to lift up!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”