New tyres

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

New tyres

Post by markstevieandmads »

After having a slight mishap on a roundabout I checked my rear tyres to find I have cheapos.

I'm booked in for a few track sessions next week so want to upgrade the rear rubber. The fronts are Yoko's so are fine.

The size I need is 225 45 16.

I've got around £100 to spend. I've found some good secondhand toyo t1rs for £60 but I'd have to pay fitting on top. It seems I could get these for around £75 each new.

Ive also heard rainsports are a good choice.

The car is not normally used in the wet but I have been caught out a few times and a mix of road and track use.

What do you guys recommend and where from please?
Odin_S

Re: New tyres

Post by Odin_S »

My advice is to wait till you have enough then. No sense in cutting corners especially on the rears. I have say i have Nexen 6000 on my rears. They are made from a hard compound so are hard wearing, never had a moment.... sounds like a contradiction on my part not having a fancy name.

Maybe I'm not trying hard enough

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s310p0/C ... _225_45R16
markstevieandmads

I've actually got nexens all round on my original OEM alloys....maybe I should swap them on for the track?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

T1r are pretty good till you find the limit ... in the dry there awesome .. in the wet there just super ... but like i said .. its like amazing grip amazing grip (pushed it to far) ow crap im sideways 8-[

Basicly great tyre but eggs you on in the wet :cyclops: .. and that can end badly :(
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

IMO T1Rs are not super in the wet, they are OK at best.

Found the kumho ku31 are very good in the wet and even snow (trip to the alps) and almost flat refuse to break grip even if provoked.
In the dry I've not had them to the limit but they are fine with even stupid middle of the night hooning around style use.
cured the open diff issue of spinning one wheel as they don't spin at all anymore.

Just found them for £60 each on camskill.

Had t1r before these and they don't hold a candle to the cheap kumho rubber.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Nexen's are ditch finders, hated them on my stock 15. Toyo T1R Proxes were better but not amazing in the wet however my Yokohama AD0R's have been the best so far in both the dry and wet.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Don't understand why owners are driving fast in the wet, just a recipe for disaster. Unless this is for track use. You could could give me the worse tyres on the market and i wouldn't have a 'moment'

Drive for the conditions
markstevieandmads

Odin_S wrote:Don't understand why owners are driving fast in the wet, just a recipe for disaster. Unless this is for track use. You could could give me the worse tyres on the market and i wouldn't have a 'moment'

Drive for the conditions

As in the original post, I stated I got some track sessions coming up.
I also had "a moment" on a greasy bit of road coming off a roundabout where it had been dry and started pelting it down.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

markstevieandmads wrote:
Odin_S wrote:Don't understand why owners are driving fast in the wet, just a recipe for disaster. Unless this is for track use. You could could give me the worse tyres on the market and i wouldn't have a 'moment'

Drive for the conditions

I also had "a moment" on a greasy bit of road coming off a roundabout where it had been dry and started pelting it down.

^^^^^^ :D
markstevieandmads

2mad wrote:
markstevieandmads wrote:

Drive for the conditions

Forgot to add, no faster than any other car on the road and not booting it. Never happened before so thought it odd then I checked and found the cheap tyres on the back so thought it best ton change them if I'm going on track....if they do that at normal speeds then thought I'd better get them changed for track lol
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Drive for the conditions

To put things into context; I had a 'moment' using Nexen's in the wet going round a roundabout at ~5mph. Lard smothered in vaseline would have gripped. Plus you have to account for emergency braking in the wet in the unforeseen moment you really wish you had the extra grip.

I doubt most IMOC users would drive dangerously or fast in the wet given our age group and mentality. :thumleft:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Given what I've read here over the years, i would say the mentality of owners here are a broad church :D

Can't say I've ever had a moment at 5mph but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Most moments come from not planning ahead think water in a plastic cup on top of the dashboard.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I'd love to get to the stage with my MR2 that I could confidently have some fun in the wet and really master the car. It must be possible, just takes experience I suppose - and warm tyres.

Another vote for AD08R, but they're obviously over budget. I run T1R on the MX5 and they're okay considering how cheap they are (£135 for a full set on the MX5) but wouldn't fit them on an MR2 turbo personally.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

markstevieandmads wrote:
2mad wrote:
markstevieandmads wrote:

Forgot to add, no faster than any other car on the road and not booting it. Never happened before so thought it odd then I checked and found the cheap tyres on the back so thought it best ton change them if I'm going on track....if they do that at normal speeds then thought I'd better get them changed for track lol

Very sensible thread .. big can of worms .. but non the less sensible :D
Last edited by 2mad on Wed May 04, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Odin_S wrote:.

Most moments come from not planning ahead think water in a plastic cup on top of the dashboard.

Yeah in the wet drive like your best china is in a box in the boot lol .... if you dont you end up in a tree like me :oops:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

But then ditch finders are great fun in the wet and they last forever no matter how many laps round the driftabout they are subjected to. lol

In all seriousness the T1Rs let go at the rear when following other rush hour traffic around a large roundabout. The rear would step out keeping up with a Prius in the rain. Though they were better than the no-brand junk that came with the car.

Nothing more soul destroying than being blown away by crap shopping trollies on the way to work at under the speed limit speeds.. oh the shame #-o
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

As you're going on track, i personally wouldn't run two different tyres makes front and back, in fact i wouldn't even do this on the road in an mr2 as it just ruins why we bought these cars in the first place.

If you plan on doing lots of track stuff i'd save your money and fit AD08's to all four corners OR Nankang NS2r . I did Cadwell Park in my clio cup track car with the NS2r 180 compound last week and they were amazing! I was so impressed with them!

If you don't plan on doing much track stuff i'd recommend rain sports 3's, my mate ran them at Cadwell park on his mr2 turbo again last week and they were impressive. + there wet grip is insane....no more of tip toeing around in the wet in an mr2 that every body bangs on about!!! :lol:

I've run rainsport 3's on my tubby for the last year and i'll 100% be buying them again.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Rainsport 3's won't let you down. Whether they can they be had in the sizes you need is another thing though.
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

rainsport 3 are very soft :( excellent in the rain but it just eats them, have them all round as in wales and its always bloody wet
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Drive for the conditions

Drive for the conditions - agreed.

Having to pussyfoot around crap tyres though? b0ll0cks to that, I want to be able to enjoy my car in all weather.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”