Hello, I'm back!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

Hello, I'm back!

Post by HighwayStar »

Some may smile or grin whilst others may grimace but yes I'm back…

Much has changed for me in the past couple of years or so and I'll be back to fill in details later but for now… hello again all.

Briefly I'm single once again and back in my old house but most significantly of course my old white rev1 is finally no more!. Some of you will know the car perhaps. Nearly 17 yrs my daily driver it did me proud.

So did I manage to find a worthy replacement? Something a little special in some way perhaps? Perhaps a very late and immaculate rev5 to carry on with as I always threatened? Perhaps I'd succumb to turbo power? Would I buy something already highly modified and polished to save me the effort?

For anyone interested the answer is in my garage…

I hope all here are happy and well.

Regards
R
pistol pete

Re: Hello, I'm back!

Post by pistol pete »

Hey welcome back..
What killed yours off in the end and what was the end mileage?

Off to go look in your garage now...
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ohh nice that one will do you well for a while
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Welcome back mate, new car looks very tidy indeed!
MR2Kyle

Post by MR2Kyle »

She's a real beaut! Bet you beeming after finding that gem! And I thought I was doing well :lol:
Mk1b 1989 Mica Blue
Mk2 rev3 1993 NA Turquoise
Mk2 rev5 1999 Cosmos Blue with st215 conversion 😉
craig

Post by craig »

Looks great, welcome back mate. :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Cheers fellas, nice to be back and yeah I'm v. v. happy with the new one thx. I knew I was going to buy it just on meeting the owner before even seeing the car. He's loved it and looked after it from day one. FSH with receipts and all MOTs etc.

I'll have to check the exact mileage on the old one. It was somewhere in the mid 230,000 miles… 236k-ish I think. In fairness it could have been saved still perhaps but it become just too expensive to do so. The non starting/electrical issue in heavy rains was still there but sporadically. Most likely culprit… water penetration from rust. Both sills and all the arches, the doors and the boot were all showing signs of rust again with the sills particularly needing extensive work. The front bumper paint was badly cracked and touch ups and new panels over the years now showed different tones so really a lot of body shop work and a full respray needed. On top of that the crunch into 3rd was getting worse so that needed sorting as well. That said when it ran it still ran magnificently but I'm also getting too old for track suspension on my daily driver.

I think the reality is with my break up I finally got to the point of just not caring anymore… about anything. Anyway, much better now and a new chapter and all that so it all seemed fitting and appropriate to make change… just not that much as it turns out! So I robbed the old one of brakes and braces and suspension and exhausts, interior and a few little goodies etc to move onto the new one or sell and finally sent it to the scrappers.

The king is dead, long live the king! I bought my first with 82,151 on the clocks and added over 150,000 miles myself. My start point here is just over 52,300 so I wonder where this one will take me…..
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good to see you again mate
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Welcome back 8)
Looks a nice 2 :thumleft:
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Why can i not see what hes bought 8-[
craig

Post by craig »

2mad wrote:Why can i not see what hes bought 8-[

pics in garage
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Ow lol ... off for a look :thumleft:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

2mad wrote:Why can i not see what hes bought 8-[

Click bait..
danjama

Post by danjama »

Welcome back to the fold, that looks absolutely mint. Something very satisfying about a clean UK NA.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Yup, that's what I think.

I hadn't really completely decided what to do although I'd been looking for quite a while until I spoke to this cars owners son-in-law and then his daughter. After hearing about his relationship with it and his present circumstances as well as his hopes for the buyer it seemed fated.

When I finally met him he was just lovely and it all just seemed right. Then I saw the car and the decision was confirmed... it is indeed a minter.

I nearly pulled the trigger a fair few months ago now on an immaculate red 70k 2000 rev5 t-bar but it was way more money… 2k more and it was still a reasonable forecourt price. That's the only thing that's been remotely close and even then this one is the cleaner still… and I'm sure my love for rev1s is no great secret.

Keep peeking out the curtains to look at it. It'll be no more modified than it is now… better brakes and lighting and some TRD bling and that's it. The stock ride is fabulous! Not wallowy at all like I remember my first being on first acquisition. It's great to push on in and meanwhile is SOOOOO comfy. On this particular car with the wheels pushed flush to the arches again I don't actually think it looks too high. Bigger wheels with shorter tyre-walls would be a different thing but with 15's and 50% of 225 I like it. It has a more classic look which suits.

Anyway bottom line is I'm in love again...
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

glad to hear it.. really does look like a well loved mr2.. which is always great to see

i am sure it will give you many miles of satisfaction..
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Welcome back chap! Sorry to hear about your relationship break up. Hopefully things are in a happier place for you and you're enjoying your new acquisition :)
Draven

Post by Draven »

Welcome back :) :thumleft:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Welcome back and your car looks brand new :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Yeah it does doesn't it…. :D

Thx all… and yes Toni I'm at last getting back on an even keel. Hope all is well with you too.

R

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”