mongoose clearance any pics?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

masterbateson

mongoose clearance any pics?

Post by masterbateson »

If any of you have a mongoose fitted would you be able to tell me how much clearance you have from the sump and all so clearance over the sub frame?

I have one that i bought a new flexi for and when i tried a test fit a good while ago I was not happy with how close too the sump and subframe it was.

If any of you have them fitted and could post a few pics that would be gr8 !
:thumleft:
shinny

Re: mongoose clearance any pics?

Post by shinny »

Are we supposed to guess if you have NA or turbo? Because the Mongoose exhausts are very different between the engines! :wink:

I'm going to guess turbo...
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Must be turbo, as the NA Mongoose is just the backbox - so the original pipe goes over the subframe and under the sump.
shinny

Post by shinny »

JohnnyC wrote:Must be turbo, as the NA Mongoose is just the backbox - so the original pipe goes over the subframe and under the sump.

Well indeed, hence my supposition. It's not impossible the OP could be talking about fixing the flexi on an NA with a mongoose exhaust though... hence clarity is always helpful IMHO :thumleft:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Ooops sorry :oops: yup its a turbo.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

masterbateson wrote:Ooops sorry :oops: yup its a turbo.

Took a grinder you mine and cut back places it cought ...

masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Really!!! :shock: well at least I know that its not just mine or the flexi is no good dimension size or some other weirdness.

When i spoke to someone else they reckoned the exhaust shouldnt move that much.

I was worried if i was going down rough roads and the suspension was having a good work out, I didnt want to hear my exhaust clanging off either the sump or the subframe.

I guess to some extent its all joined together, so there shouldnt be much movement, maybe all I need to worry about is enough clearance for a bit of vibration type movement.

Well on another note, at least my replacement shocker and spring slid in easily the other day, passenger rear had started wee'ing [-X
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yeah flange hit the subframe ether that or the hanger ... ground it back ... and presto no more metal on metal vibrating sound :clap: sounded soooo bad ](*,)
craig

Post by craig »

Very odd. My old Mongoose went straight on the car. No modification required, no catching, nothing. It's what you'd expect from a quality exhaust such as the Mongoose.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Mine is a NA and although very happy with my mongoose, one thing that does bug me a little is that ithe pipes don't sit dead level. It's not just mine they all appear to be the same so assume their jig is slightly out. Perhaps it's the same for the tubby one. :(
2mad

Post by 2mad »

craig wrote:Very odd. My old Mongoose went straight on the car. No modification required, no catching, nothing. It's what you'd expect from a quality exhaust such as the Mongoose.

Mine vibrated against the subframe ... so annoying ... glad yours was ok ... i just chalked it up to one of those things. and bust out the grinder :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”