Aftermarket oil cooler location?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Adam86
Premium Member

Aftermarket oil cooler location?

Post by Adam86 »

Where is yours if you still have a side mount intercooler?

Pics would be great :D
C35Rob

Re: Aftermarket oil cooler location?

Post by C35Rob »

the Trust/GREX kit mounted the cooler on a bracket on the gearbox (there are unused tapped holes already there) with a little scoop and mesh to protect it

most other japanese cars you see have them mounted under the rear number plate

which, while it looks cool, means running much longer hoses to-from (£££ if you buy proper aeroquip etc hose) and it's kind of open to the elements there
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Ive got that phoenix power kit that mounts under the bumper but not the brackets.

I realy wanna have it mounted like that for jdm tyteness, but then I keep thinking it would be easy to get damaged by a rock being kicked up.

Mine is probably going to be located where the smic goes because i have a chargecooler.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Race Idiot wrote:Mine is probably going to be located where the smic goes because i have a chargecooler.

I put together what I think is a neat install there, using the standard shroud... but I'll try to post a new thread rather than hijack Adam's :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

shinny wrote:
Race Idiot wrote:Mine is probably going to be located where the smic goes because i have a chargecooler.

I put together what I think is a neat install there, using the standard shroud... but I'll try to post a new thread rather than hijack Adam's :thumleft:

Posted here: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=189531
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Thats a pretty neat setup though. I dont think the PP cooler is anywhere near that big.

Does it take much longer to get to temp, or does the thermostatic thingy make a big difference.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Race Idiot wrote:Thats a pretty neat setup though. I dont think the PP cooler is anywhere near that big.

Does it take much longer to get to temp, or does the thermostatic thingy make a big difference.

The thermostat is essential if you're ever going to get your oil remotely up to temperature. Yes, it does seem like it takes a little longer to get up to temperature, but not dramatically. I've got an 80ºC thermostat on there and if I were to build a system again, I'd choose a higher temperature stat; 90ºC would be preferable I think.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

yeah i know they are not oil coolers but you get the idea.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”