Starting problem

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SebW20

Starting problem

Post by SebW20 »

Hi there

I have a rev5 MR2 SW20, it's been running absolutely fine and this morning I started it to move it on the drive; no problems...

This afternoon I have gone to start it again and the engine just won't catch at all. There's enough battery power and the starter motor is turning it over fine, just no sign of life from the engine. Could smell petrol after a little while of trying so pretty sure it's not a fuelling issue.

Any ideas as I'm fairly stumped? If it's the immobiliser, anything I could try to sort it?

Cheers in advance!
tonym

starting problem

Post by tonym »

i had an earth cable break on my engine and the same problem occurred there is a earth cable at the top drivers side of the engine try that if theres no joy get a cable ie jump leads from the battery negative to the engine and try turning over the car if it starts then its a earth problem
Draven

Re: Starting problem

Post by Draven »

If you even think it is a earth problem get some extra earth leads in place.

There have been a few examples of MR2's catching fire due to earth issues.

#-o

So add a few extra.
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

If the engine is turning over normally I wouldn't think its an earth issue. Pull a plug out, re connect to HT lead, earth against manifold and get someone to turn it over for you. I suspect no spark. Most likely coil has failed.
SebW20

Post by SebW20 »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I ordered up a new ignition coil pack thinking that's what it could be but then under closer inspection turns out the fuel pump wasn't kicking in, perhaps from a dirty solenoid. A clean up and spray of WD40 on the relay seems to have sorted it so was only off the road a couple of days and all has been fine since, touch wood! :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”