Rev3 Turbo Standard ECU

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Monkey

Rev3 Turbo Standard ECU

Post by Monkey »

my Car is a Rev 3 Turbo- it has a standard ECU on it, but I am lead to believe it is a "learning" ECU. I know its not remappable/chipable, and this is not what I am interested in (at the moment)

the car has sat for a long period without power, the ECU will, I guess, have reset to a factory base line. the engine currelty had an Apexi induction kit and a Mongoose exhaust with out the Cat.

is there a set number of starts/miles driven/procedure that has to happen for the ECU to get its "eye in" again.

and do you know what its doing during this time? Running rich/Lean etc
jimGTS

Re: Rev3 Turbo Standard ECU

Post by jimGTS »

i dont know this as fact, but my understanding is it is learning all the time.
but any big hits of knock/det will generally keep the car running in a "lowered" timing state to avoid such events again.

this is why resetting the ecu will generally "feel" better if you havent done it in a while.

i generally reset mine alot as im constantly changing fuel pressure, water/meth mixtures which can effect the general performance.

personally id love to mix in some race fuel to bring up the octane rating to see how the car behaves.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

no, basically.

While the standard ECU is capable of being mapped, it requires a daughter board and flashable rom chips which although available in Japan (the SARD, Blitz, etc ECU's all are modified oem ecus and to this day you can STILL get K's Rom boards for them, although the software is all japanese, obviously) and to an extent in the USA it is near nonexistent in the UK. There was one guy on another UK forum who got some boards made up, but I'm not sure the development of the 3sgte stuff went any further than getting rom dumps of the ECU?

anyway, to that end, nobody in the english speaking world, the UK at the very least, knows exactly how the ECU works things out and how long it takes to trim maps etc so anything anyone may tell you is pure speculation and guesswork. obviously the sensible thing to do would be to take it easy for a few miles, but really, an exhaust and air filter isn't going to tax the ecu at all.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Ok, thought that was going to be the case, as I could not find anything concrete via Google.

C35Rob wrote:obviously the sensible thing to do would be to take it easy for a few miles, but really, an exhaust and air filter isn't going to tax the ecu at all.

and this is the rub (sort of) the reason I ask, (and should really of said) is that the car is in need of a MoT, its been off the road for 6+ years.

I took it for a MoT last year to see what it would fail on, and surprise surprise, one of the failures was emissions. and it was wildly out (I can't remember the figure, nor can I find the slip) when talking to the tester, he seemed to think that even putting the Cat back in wouldn't sort it (has a flexi pipe), as it was so high. I had only put the battery on it 5 miles and 30 mins before.

I presumed It was running rich, due to ECU stuff....

anyway, and that brought me to the questions, mainly how long it might take if at all. as without an MoT, its hard to dial it in - not impossible mind

can I hook it up to a diagnostics computer and see what its doing? is it OBDII compatible?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Monkey wrote:Ok, thought that was going to be the case, as I could not find anything concrete via Google.

C35Rob wrote:obviously the sensible thing to do would be to take it easy for a few miles, but really, an exhaust and air filter isn't going to tax the ecu at all.

and this is the rub (sort of) the reason I ask, (and should really of said) is that the car is in need of a MoT, its been off the road for 6+ years.

I took it for a MoT last year to see what it would fail on, and surprise surprise, one of the failures was emissions. and it was wildly out (I can't remember the figure, nor can I find the slip) when talking to the tester, he seemed to think that even putting the Cat back in wouldn't sort it (has a flexi pipe), as it was so high. I had only put the battery on it 5 miles and 30 mins before.

I presumed It was running rich, due to ECU stuff....

anyway, and that brought me to the questions, mainly how long it might take if at all. as without an MoT, its hard to dial it in - not impossible mind

can I hook it up to a diagnostics computer and see what its doing? is it OBDII compatible?

nope, OBD1, diagnostic codes via shorting two pins in the diag box and watching the flashing light on the dash
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
2mad

Post by 2mad »

As Rob said , ebay for minez, blitz or sard ... I think ko racing do a daughter board upgrade for the mr2 turbo .. my memories pretty p/ss pore so dont quote me on that ... pfc is you best bet :thumleft:

Edit it might be ats racing that do chipped doughtier board ecu's
Draven

Post by Draven »

If the car has been sat and fails on emissions going for a good long drive getting it very hot is a good way to bring the emissions down.

I went to the MOT station via a LOT of back streets took like a 40 mile round trip to get to the station.. (if i got pulled I had the print out of my booking)

I hadn't driven the car in over 6 months.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Old fuel in the tank won't help! Get some fresh super in there.

Get it really hot, like drive it long enough to warm up and then give it the beans for a good 30mins. Get it to the MOT station while it's still hot.

Could find that he O2 sensor is covered in years old soot and isn't working very well. A good blast may shunt it back to life.

Reading the error codes from the ECU after at least letting it idle up to temp, should give you an idea of any failed sensors. Failed engine temp sensor can make it run really rich.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”