Evans waterless coolant

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Evans waterless coolant

Post by JAAASH »

Considering swapping to evans waterless coolant. I keep reading conflicting discussions about it so thought I'd see what people here think.

So, pro's, con's, would you, wouldn't you.

Discuss...

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
C35Rob

Re: Evans waterless coolant

Post by C35Rob »

never tried it personally, I've heard/read good things though.. I did casually read the back of a bottle recently in euro car parts and quickly worked out that it was going to be about £300 for the coolant and prep fluid - at which point I put the bottle back on the shelf :shock:
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Ye, it's not a cheap do! But I figured that as I'm going to be changing the radiator anyway, that now is probably the best time to go for it.
Just wondering if it's actually worth the added expense and effort :-k

C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I'm not sure it is, I think for a sensible power road car there's no need for anything other than a stock cooling system in good working order, especially if you're not putting extra load on your cooling system by running it through the factory oil cooler too
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

How does it work in terms of opening the coolant circuit in the future can you just drain down to a bucket complete any works then just fill it up again the same as a conventional setup?
bishop

Post by bishop »

we have some of this stuff at the garage I work in part time. I am very impressed by it. in answer to your question thomp yes, once you have cleaned the system with he prep fluid and drained that out, the evans coolant goes in and then that can be dropped out and put back in when you are done working on it. the evans coolant is reusable but don't put water in it!
MikeyB571

Post by MikeyB571 »

I've been toying with the idea also, you could potentially do away with the expansion bottle as well.
Way less stress on the whole coolant system due to reduced pressure.

The only thing that stops me is the risk of geting a coolant leak and throwing £££ literally down the drain.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

given the amount of people NOT using it on high powered builds, dragging it, tracking it, with no issues, id have thought its overkill.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

MikeyB571 wrote:I've been toying with the idea also, you could potentially do away with the expansion bottle as well.
Way less stress on the whole coolant system due to reduced pressure.

The only thing that stops me is the risk of geting a coolant leak and throwing £££ literally down the drain.

Other potential issues:

It's flammable, so has a flashpoint, so if it leaks on something hot like an exhaust manifold, it could ignite.

It will also make the engine run hotter as it has a lower heat capacity than water. This isn't an issue in most cases, but could become a problem in high power application where temperatures are already higher than OE. You'll need to adjust the point at which the fan comes on as well. otherwise it might run all the time.

It's more viscous than water based coolants - this will create extra load on your water pump. The Toyota pump is really well made, but this extra load could reduce its lifespan.

It only works if you can remove for all intents and purposes all of the water based coolant (I think the figure is something like 96%). Any less, and you can get corrosion issues. Anyone who's done a coolant change on an MR2 will know how difficult it is to drain the system completely. They offer a flushing fluid, but this is nearly as expensive as the coolant itself.

I wouldn't bother with it. Proper Toyota coolant is cheap enough, and as long as your cooling system is in good condition you wont have any problems.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Gaz has pretty much summed up everything that was going through my head.
As much as I'm interested to see the results, I'm really not sure if it's worth all the added expense and hassle.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”