Tin top owners - any regret over lack of T-Bar?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James Junior

Re: Tin top owners - any regret over lack of T-Bar?

Post by James Junior »

Love your wheels Gazza (and your car in general). Three spoke retro goodness. 8)

Completely off-topic - I just renewed my premium membership and my last avatar reappeared; a picture of my last MR2 Turbo that I haven't seen for many years. What a nice nostalgia kick!
Torero

Post by Torero »

James Junior wrote:
Martin's wise words have proven the case. The tin-top that was offered to me was simply too good to pass up, despite my love for T-Bars. I paid top whack for it, but the condition and history is outstanding and I am sure I would struggle to find another one like it.

The only downside is that the current (soon to be previous!) owner has removed the aircon, so I am now scavenging for parts to reinstate it.

I think that's a very wise choice James. I rarely have the T-Tops out these days but when I do it's worth having and I like the light in the cabin but I wouldn't pass up on a good tin top.

Welcome back and enjoy the summer in the 2. :D
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

To be fair I have never driven a tintop so cannot compare chassis flex with a tbar.

I have had 2 tbar cars and one seemed to flex more than the other so it was much slower to drive... and that was caused by very tired original shocks that still passed an mot. I am not aware of chassis flex driving on twisty country roads at the speed limit. I have driven modern hire cars that sway side to side way way more than an mr2 tbar cornering so I am happy with the mr2 tbar stability.

I dont use the tbar roof blinds as it makes the interior look more spacious and brighter. One of my cars did have oem transfers on the tbar glass that noticeably reduced the light coming in and spoiled it for me so rather than spending hours removing those transfers I swapped the panels between cars (no leaks as every few months I use rubber rejuvenator).

I might get a rain drip where the tbar panel fits against the rubber of the roof at the top of the A piller or B piller... and that stops when I used the rejuvenator on all the rubbers (I would do the whole car to also prevent leaks in the boot or frunk as I guess all those rubbers are of a similar age).

I use the mr2 as my everyday car and with the tbars out and the windows down in summer it is a real head turner even from people in other convertibles with their roof down. You know they want one!
The engine bay sounds with induction kit/bov are more enjoyable with the tbar off as well.

I am also tall, so I get a bit more headroom with the tbar blinds out.

If I was buying another mr2 it would be a tbar.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Thanks Torero, appreciate the kind words and very excited to be coming back to the fold after many years away.

I am at Jap Fest end of April, but have already booked a space for my 370Z on the Z owners club stand this year, but will be sure to have to wander over and say hello to you all.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

craig wrote:My black T bar in the mountains last year, with the roof off:

Car's changed a bit since then though! :mrgreen:

Those wheels :cool:

Black is by far the best colour for an mr2.........not biased at all :lol: stealth moon roof / tbar then!
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

Only just seen this mate, congrats on the purchase :clap:

Before I bought mine I'd driven and sat on quite long journeys in a friends T-bar, nice feeling of spaciousness-ness, alas it leaked..badly and looked a bit grotty, I guess the rubber was going hard. So it was moonroof for me and as you know, I love it. Think someone mentioned before that you don't get any leakage at all and when the sun is out it comes off and goes in the frunk, bigger than a normal sunroof so you still get that feeling of spaciousness-ness.

Each to their own though :thumleft:
danjama

Post by danjama »

James Junior wrote:Love your wheels Gazza (and your car in general). Three spoke retro goodness. 8)

Completely off-topic - I just renewed my premium membership and my last avatar reappeared; a picture of my last MR2 Turbo that I haven't seen for many years. What a nice nostalgia kick!

I've always wanted a yellow one.

Congrats on the new purchase, even if it is the inferior tintop :lol:
danjama

Post by danjama »

Nails wrote:
danjama wrote:None of mine have ever leaked either. [-(

All the points above are subjective and differ from car to car. My tintop never felt lighter or less creaky than any of my t-bars. Buffering is only an issue above 60mph. Literally takes 1 minute to get both sides out and stowed. And IMO it looks brilliant with the panels out, if anything makes it more interesting.

Even if theyre not leaking into the cabin they're leaking into your sills. But I'd like to see some one get both panels off and stowed and ready to go in less than a minute.

It honestly takes a minute or less. Granted I do take them out a lot. How hard is it?

Seat forward. Unlatch. Stow. Seat back.

Repeat on other side.

Job's your uncle etc.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

sinjen wrote:Only just seen this mate, congrats on the purchase :clap:

Before I bought mine I'd driven and sat on quite long journeys in a friends T-bar, nice feeling of spaciousness-ness, alas it leaked..badly and looked a bit grotty, I guess the rubber was going hard. So it was moonroof for me and as you know, I love it. Think someone mentioned before that you don't get any leakage at all and when the sun is out it comes off and goes in the frunk, bigger than a normal sunroof so you still get that feeling of spaciousness-ness.

Morning Andy,

Thanks buddy, I will send you some pictures on Whatsapp. Hopefully I will have the car by the time the next BHP Breakfast meet comes around so you can have a gander. :thumleft:
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

I must admit, owning the yellow one was pretty fun. It was nothing like as quick as my old steel mist grey one, but the attention it got was ridiculous and in a good way too. I regularly got stopped by people enquiring about it and complimenting the car.

It came with a SARD front bumper which I removed and sold to a chap on here. Unfortunately once I had refitted a standard bumper and had the car painted, it resulted in it being an ever so slightly different shade to the rear despite copious amounts of buffing. Wasn't very apparent, but I noticed and from then on it did my head in. Was still a really clean car though with super low miles. Sold it to a Cypriot guy from London in the end whose former MR2 had a met with an unfortunate accident involving a lampost.

Not sure whether I would have another yellow one now, but was a fund experience.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

danjama wrote:
Nails wrote:
danjama wrote:None of mine have ever leaked either. [-(

All the points above are subjective and differ from car to car. My tintop never felt lighter or less creaky than any of my t-bars. Buffering is only an issue above 60mph. Literally takes 1 minute to get both sides out and stowed. And IMO it looks brilliant with the panels out, if anything makes it more interesting.

Even if theyre not leaking into the cabin they're leaking into your sills. But I'd like to see some one get both panels off and stowed and ready to go in less than a minute.

It honestly takes a minute or less. Granted I do take them out a lot. How hard is it?

Repeat on other side.

Job's your uncle etc.

Hmmmm I dunno, sounds like a lot of hassle to me... :wink:

All of my previous four were T-bars and all except the first one leaked. I did enjoy top-off motoring though.

Ah well, at least a tin top is a new experience to enjoy and I have a friend with a mint T-Bar who has fallen for my new one, so there is always the potential for some swapsies!

Having commented on your Pistonheads threads a few times over the years Danjama talking about how I would one day get another turbo, I am very happy the day has finally come around!

Good things come to those who wait...
sinjen

Post by sinjen »

James Junior wrote:
sinjen wrote:Only just seen this mate, congrats on the purchase :clap:

Morning Andy,

Thanks buddy, I will send you some pictures on Whatsapp. Hopefully I will have the car by the time the next BHP Breakfast meet comes around so you can have a gander. :thumleft:

Dude, she is a stunner! Look forward to having a proper look at the next meet, will be good to see another Mr2 there. Hopefully we can start to rival the Scoobies and GTR's for numbers. (And I need a bacon roll this time lol)
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Once I have the date from Matty and Nic I will post something in the events section to see if we can get some more MR2 owners to join us. :D
craig

Post by craig »

Gee Man wrote:
craig wrote:My black T bar in the mountains last year, with the roof off:

Car's changed a bit since then though! :mrgreen:

Those wheels :cool:

Black is by far the best colour for an mr2.........not biased at all :lol: stealth moon roof / tbar then!

Cheers mate, the wheels aren't black anymore, but TE37 style bronze. 8)

Always wanted a black T-Top. Especially seeing as I'm a bit of a knightrider fan. :mrgreen:
danjama

Post by danjama »

James Junior wrote:
danjama wrote:
Nails wrote:

Repeat on other side.

Job's your uncle etc.

Having commented on your Pistonheads threads a few times over the years Danjama talking about how I would one day get another turbo, I am very happy the day has finally come around!

Good things come to those who wait...

Yeah it's excellent, i'm really pleased for you, I love it when a good story comes to fruition \:D/
al/c

tintop or t/bar

Post by al/c »

first of all congratulations on your purchase, i,ve had t/bars in the past and also a mk3....which i bought a hardtop for. now running my hardtop mk2 turbo and much prefer it. personal preference i reckon, but here,s the hardtop. Image[/URL] :thumleft: [/img]
mr2nut123

Re: tintop or t/bar

Post by mr2nut123 »

al/c wrote:first of all congratulations on your purchase, i,ve had t/bars in the past and also a mk3....which i bought a hardtop for. now running my hardtop mk2 turbo and much prefer it. personal preference i reckon, but here,s the hardtop. Image Replaced With URL For Quote [URL=http://s623.photobucket.com/user/a ... f2e553.jpg[/URL] :thumleft: [/url]

Stunning car!!! ....just need to remove that sunstrip :oldtongue: :wink:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

mr2nut123 wrote:
al/c wrote:first of all congratulations on your purchase, i,ve had t/bars in the past and also a mk3....which i bought a hardtop for. now running my hardtop mk2 turbo and much prefer it. personal preference i reckon, but here,s the hardtop. Image Replaced With URL For Quote [URL=http://s623.photobucket.com/user/a ... f2e553.jpg[/URL] :thumleft: [/url]

Stunning car!!! ....just need to remove that sunstrip :oldtongue: :wink:

This :lol:
al/c

car

Post by al/c »

about to be changed anyway, refit border bonnet and skirts also now has twin border cannards, and newly built engine nearly ready to go in. then repaint in the same pearlescent white as the last job (proffesionally done) was in my opinion crap!....only done three years ago. p.s. need the sunstrip as there,s no visors due to rollcage :lol:
Torero

Post by Torero »

Loving the white one. Awesome Al. :clap:
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”