Mk2 2gr supercharged

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kaiowas

Re: Mk2 2gr supercharged

Post by kaiowas »

Am I right in thinking that as soon as you go left or right across the gates it'll display either 2nd or 6th before any gear is engaged (Ideally you'd want it to continue to display N) and then presumably change to 1st or 5th if these gears are selected? Also what are you wanting to happen when you select reverse?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes you are quite correct, it's a minor glitch, it will momentarily display 2nd or 6th depending which end of the gate you are at for a fraction of a second until the actual gear is selected. That is probably fixable if I add a relay somewhere or if I just went with the previous circuit design which works without any glitch, but I like the simplicity of this layout and can live with the glitch.

In reverse the rotary switch will be off all contacts and nothing will be displayed, but my reverse switch is wired to the Evora reverse buzzer built into the cluster for that.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Actually thinking about that some more, there is a "cheat", if I mount the 1st/2nd switch at the 2nd position instead of 1st and reverse the wiring it will "glitch" to 1st before the actual gear is selected.... in most cases you go across to the left gate to select 1st, probably 90% of the time, you would only select 2nd changing down from 3rd, so while not a perfect solution it would make it negligible.

Same with the 5th/6th switch, you want it to pre-empt 5th.

Not strictly a fix, but it will do.
ashley

Post by ashley »

You could just use 6 push to make, non-latching, switches...one at the end of each throw for each gear? That way you only get the gear indicated when the stick is fully slotted, and you could have a default neutral when none of the switches are engaged.

Just an idea...
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yeah i did that last time on the Mk1 2gr 6 speed, 6 individual switches, but they were an absolute nightmare to arrange around the stick, seriously it took me hours of fiddling, adjusting, bending the actuator strips into funny shapes. The problem is the whole gate is so close together that getting the stick to hit one switch while missing another is very hard, also there is a normal "slop" in the stick which makes things even more difficult, there's literally 2mm if that between contacts.

It was a real nightmare that way and i swore i would find a better way this time, so limiting the switches to 4 at the stick at opposite ends of the gate/throw really does help.

I also found it impossible to get a switch positioned for neutral that didn't interfere with the 7 other gears, this new design means the lack of switch signal lights up neutral.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Gotcha- I was wondering how you were going to arrange the contact strips anyway! Might steal the idea if it works....looking forwards to seeing pictures :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

So my EB60 6 speed has a separate gate selector shaft and gear selector shaft, unlike the S54 and E153 that just have one shaft that gets pulled in and out and rotated.

So my rotary switch needs to go onto the gate selector one, which is nice and exposed on the top of the gearbox with plenty of space around it and some spare bolt holes in the casing to mount the switch.

I have decided to use something already from the Toyota parts bin which will last forever, waterproof, and heavy duty. The automatic gear selector indicator switch from a Lexus RX300 is the perfect part to use. This is how i plan to use it....

Now one of the problems is that the angle between the switch contacts (called the switch index angle) is fixed, it's roughly 8 degrees between each output. Now the problem is that unless the index angle is the same on the gearbox gate selector shaft between 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th and 5th/6th then the switch is not going to align with the outputs if i mounted the switch directly above the shaft centre, the best i would be able to do is clock the switch so that at least one contact lined up, but the other two would be a lottery.

So my solution above is to mount the switch away from the selector shaft, mount an arm to the centre of the shaft, an arm onto the switch, and link them together with a small rose jointed droplink.

There are three holes in the selector arm and a slot in the switch arm, so by varying which hole i use for the droplink and sliding the other end to the sweet spot i will be able to fine tune the index angle on the switch exactly to the same angle as the selector shaft angle, it's a bit like gears on a bike i guess. For example, mounting the droplink in the far right hole and far left on the slot will greatly increase the index angle at the switch to its maximum, far left hole and far right on the slot will make the switch angle its minimum, so i figure the exact angle must be there somewhere.... pretty neat solution i thought.

So i can use three of the output terminals on this switch for the gates, and there is a dead zone for reverse, perfect.

All of this just to get a number to display on the dash!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

All of this just to get a number to display on the dash!

Does seem a bit ott but i love you attention to detail ..keep it up man :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

2mad wrote:

Does seem a bit ott but i love you

Yeah, that does seem a bit ott :lol:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

craig wrote:
2mad wrote:

Does seem a bit ott but i love you

Yeah, that does seem a bit ott :lol:

Haha you git :lol: ... just trying to be supportive .. bad craig [-X

:lol:
craig

Post by craig »

:mrgreen:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

So just to be clear... do you or don't you actually love me? :D
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

shame you couldn't use the speed / revs signal to calculate the gear selected
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Some motorbike ones work that way, sadly my CANbus signals aren't compatible , but I'm sure someone cleverer than me could build an electronic board that would process that. Actually some stock ECUs have a gear output channel for their respective dash, not Lotus though.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

PW@Woodsport wrote:So just to be clear... do you or don't you actually love me? :D

Haha .. I love your work :D followed your builds for some time 8)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

New Woodsport Kuki blade now fitted, these will be going into full production soon.

2mad

Post by 2mad »

if you can get the blade lights to mimic the knight rider side to side motion when brakes are applied ... #wicked :thumleft:

http://giphy.com/gifs/knight-rider-kitt-us4PKvffwhKa4
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Er.......no. [-X
2mad

Post by 2mad »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Er.......no. [-X

Awww rats :cry: ... being serious for a sec it does look pretty sweet :thumleft:
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

2mad wrote:if you can get the blade lights to mimic the knight rider side to side motion when brakes are applied ... #wicked :thumleft:

http://giphy.com/gifs/knight-rider-kitt-us4PKvffwhKa4

And a mullet!

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”