Mk2 2gr supercharged

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2mad

Re: Mk2 2gr supercharged

Post by 2mad »

If you like it thats all that matters ... do like the idea of wiring up to your alarm so it flashes when armed :clap: ..... i think its cool for what its worth 8-[ ... 2mad's kiss of death lol :whistle:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
The idea has been given to just wire the LED ring up to sport mode, so it only lights up then.

Wire it as a shiftlight?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Not a bad idea, I already have the Evora shift lights on the cluster but I could make the ring light up at just before the rev limit.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Not a bad idea, I already have the Evora shift lights on the cluster but I could make the ring light up at just before the rev limit.

Thats cool n stuff .. but i want to see you spin those rears under 3k ... cant wait to see this :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

All in good time, i'm not ready to do that until my dash is finished.... speaking of which.... i wired up my gauge cluster buttons and also the sport mode switch, the cluster needs an "Info" button for changing the clock time/cycling through the onboard trip computer etc and also a "Dimmer" button for selecting one of 6 brightness levels. These buttons have been wired through the stock Mr2 dimmer control knob, the effect doesn't look that obvious in this video because LEDs shinning straight into a camera are always bright, but it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkCgfo29wM

Also the washer fluid icon has been wired to my WI reservoir level, i needed to use a 5 pin relay to reverse the earthing operation of the float sender for that. The WI signal is now fed to the cluster security LED, so that pulses when the WI injects and also intensifys in brightness as the duty rises. Handbrake warning light also wired to cluster along with a "Key In" input, so it chimes when i leave the key in the ignition, that is also needed for extra cluster functions via the "info" button.

It's a very trick dashboard but has taken a lot of work to get everything working just as it should be.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Wow thats seriously trick :clap: .. cant wait for the final walk around \:D/ ..

Beautiful work as always 8)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks!

Ok so a few more hours spent on the cluster surrounds, it's getting there now but still another 2 or 3 hours in it i reckon to get it perfect, i can really see the final shape emerging now.

Also ordered two gauges from AEM, wideband and fuel pressure, i don't want to cheap out on the important gauges, getting a rough oil pressure and coolant temp reading are one thing, but wideband and fuel pressure i need to be bang on the money, so these two gauges cost more than everything else on the dash put together.

I will mount these in the drivers pillar.

Also ordered a new double din Android head unit, the plan is to run Torque on this for additonal fuel trim data, also for quick access of fault codes etc...... i'm not expecting it to be a particularly good unit for the money, but if it runs Torque without issues i'll be happy.

I might do a mini review of that unit when it arrives, a few people seem to be asking about the cheap Android units.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Just awesome...

I love that graphic on the rhs - reminds me of KITT!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

That is real super work ... cool your a wi guy ... were are you thinking of injecting wi ... into the superchargers a great place ... dont skimp on the oil pressure gauge my friends supra mk4 , thousands on the engine and pressure dropped ... engine toast coz he didnt have one :( ... premium gauges are good insurance :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

markstevieandmads wrote:Just awesome...

I love that graphic on the rhs - reminds me of KITT!

It also displays the tyre pressures at all four corners around that car icon, i do have all of the Lotus TPMS stuff to make it work, but i need a trip to the Lotus dealer to have it turned on....... that will be a fun day as i will book it in as an Evora :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

2mad wrote:That is real super work ... cool your a wi guy ... were are you thinking of injecting wi ... into the superchargers a great place ... dont skimp on the oil pressure gauge my friends supra mk4 , thousands on the engine and pressure dropped ... engine toast coz he didnt have one :( ... premium gauges are good insurance :thumleft:

I hear you, i have the stock Evora oil pressure light and my aftermarket gauge, so i think i'm covered. I have put the WI jet just before the throttle body and supercharger. :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
2mad wrote:That is real super work ... cool your a wi guy ... were are you thinking of injecting wi ... into the superchargers a great place ... dont skimp on the oil pressure gauge my friends supra mk4 , thousands on the engine and pressure dropped ... engine toast coz he didnt have one :( ... premium gauges are good insurance :thumleft:

I hear you, i have the stock Evora oil pressure light and my aftermarket gauge, so i think i'm covered. I have put the WI jet just before the throttle body and supercharger. :thumleft:

Sounds sweet .. i only said about the gauge because my car stopped switching from 9v to 12v for the fuel pump ... if it was not for my greddy gauge my engine would be toast .. there not just bling O:)
ashley

Post by ashley »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

That looks great Paul, I can really see the "factory" look emerging...can't wait to see the finished results.

Are you planning to do any data logging?
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

PW@Woodsport wrote: but i need a trip to the Lotus dealer to have it turned on....... that will be a fun day as i will book it in as an Evora :D

It's an evora with a body kit on it.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Ashley, i might do some datalogging once it has been run in for a few months yes.

Yeah, it's one of those fake Evora Mr2 copies! :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

Cool- I've got a cheap data logging solution if you have CAN running, should take a micro sd card and probably ~£40 all in...when you get to it let me know if you are interested :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Definitely interested in that mate, once she's bedded in and i start using it in anger i will 100% be in touch :thumleft:

So on the 2gr Mk1 i built, i designed a digital gear selector display, it used a simple set of microswitches arranged around the gearshift assembly to ground a 7 segment display unit (one of the ones where the 4 bit binary code for each digit was already programmed onto a single ground wire).

Anyway, i have a space on my Evora cluster top middle right where the autoshift info would be displayed (PRNDL) , but with mine being manual i have no need of this display, so i wanted to design another display but this time around not use so many microswitches, also get Neutral to display properly too.

Now i'm not an electronics guru, so building a microcontroller that handles all of the logic required to operate one of 7 ground wires on the display is not something i can do, even then it would probably rely on one of the currently available motorbike systems that calculate which gear you are in based on Speed and Tach inputs (my CANbus signals are never going to allow that anyhoo).

So, the plan was to use a set of switches and a minimum amount of relays to create my own logic circuit, a bit like a very basic early computer, although i highly doubt Microsoft are shitting themselves right now i do believe i have a circuit that works. This is the third version of the design, the other two used more relays and switches..... and well.... didn't work!

I have studied the logic for hours and cannot see a fault with this one, but i would appreciate anyone who is good with electrics to try and find a fault please, i am looking for something i haven't seen already.

To help explain, this circuit simply allows a single ground signal along one of the seven display wires for 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th and Neutral (it displays an "N" for that), while making sure none of the other paths see ground.

It's a bit of a mind scrabble but if you can see a fault let me know please!

PS. I should add, the rotary switch gets mounted on my 6 speed gate selector shaft, and the two microswitches at the stick end for forward and back.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

This is the seven segment display unit i will be using....

Displays all 6 forward gears and Neutral.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The above circuit was proven to work, the logic is correct, however i was kept awake last night with my brain churning this over, there had to be an easier circuit!

Then it hit me and i slept soundly after that, this new circuit uses NO relays at all and is very simple to follow the logic, so this will be the final one i use.

2mad

Post by 2mad »

This is outstanding ... looking forward to updates :clap: :thumleft:

K.c.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”