[Mk2] [Turbo] Maxspeedingrods Forged Conrods

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gadgit

[Mk2] [Turbo] Maxspeedingrods Forged Conrods

Post by Gadgit »

Hi all,

I'm now rebuilding my rev 2 turbo engine, as had spun a crank bearing, and I need new con rods. Have been looking into forged ones from maxspeedingrods. I am aware that you're essentially taking a risk with ebay chinese parts, but I have done a lot of research into these and a few people are running them in other engines without problems. I only plan on running up to ~300hp on my build, so don't really need forged rods, but it makes sense to get them while I'm here.

I was just wondering whether anyone is running them in a 3SGTE? The main reason I'm asking is that the specs for the little end width appear to be different to what I've measured on my standard Toyota rods. The forged ones are 23.5mm, and mine are 26.75mm.

Is this normal for forged rods for them to be narrower? Maybe they're designed to only fit with forged pistons rather than stock?
Nic

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Maxspeedingrods Forged Conrods

Post by Nic »

If I was rebuilding an engine on a budget I'd use a good set of 2nd hand OEM Toyota rods over a cheap set of new Chinese made rods.

The stock rods will have undergone rigorous quality control tests and will cope with the power levels you are looking at.
Last edited by Nic on Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

What's the price difference between them and a set of known half decent rods (I.e eagles, still forged in china but finish machining done in the states and they're a 'real' company) maybe £150? Do you want to risk your engine over a couple of hundred quid?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Gadgit

Post by Gadgit »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think you're right, that's good advice. Eagle rods are about £200 more. I didn't intend on going forged so didn't want to spend that much, and would be happy with fitting standard rods. The same thing applies to second hand rods though. How can you be sure you get a good one?

I would be happy with giving these eBay ones a shot, but not if the size is a non-starter (and I know that's not a good sign). Am going to get them to check the measurement
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Stock rods is your best bet. You can check a used set if yours cannot be used against the BGB for twist, bore size etc. It's all in there.

It's likely they will have very little QC except appearance.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

it seems that these rods are available from various chinese wholesalers for around £140 a set, delivered.

if you think for £35 per rod, delivered, you're getting something even half the quality of the stock toyota item then I'd guess you're probably wrong.

even if you do want to use them then you'll have to throw the bolts away and use proper ARP bolts, there's another £50-ish, then the rods would need to be honed, also you'd 100% want to weight match them and make sure the little end is within tolerance

it just doesn't make sense, I'm all for making savings where it makes sense, but not where penny pinching could take the rest of the engine with it
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Eagle rods are £350, with ARP bolts.
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

I'd also go with Toyota oem rods definitely.

Return to “Mechanical”