[Mk2] [Turbo] Best service oils etc ?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JLW

[Mk2] [Turbo] Best service oils etc ?

Post by JLW »

Hi Guys,

feeling its about time I did a engine oil change, and also haven't ever seen the
gearbox oil being changed on receipts.

question is, what do you guys think is the best out there.
. Engine Oil
. Gearbox Oil
. Engine Oil Filter

I've recently changed the HT leads for magnecor ones and brand new TRD plugs so thats done, but I've been told its worthwhile to replace the Dizzy Cap and Rotor arm also ?

thanks,

Jordan.
thomp1983

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best service oils etc ?

Post by thomp1983 »

Providing it's stock then any decent brand engine oil of the correct weight will be fine.

Gearbox most will recommend redline mt90 personally i did 30k on a s54 n/a box with mk3 lsd fitted bolted to a 3vz v6 engine and it was fine on the correct weight halfords gearbox oil.

And finally any decent brand oil filter will be fine oem spec isn't that expensive or a blueprint unit will be fine.

These are old 90's engines oils moved on so far that pretty much anything produced nowadays will be of a higher spec than toyota specified from new. The only exception is if you've a forged engine in which case the builder should have informed you of what to use.

Dizzy and rotor remove and inspect what's there they may be fine with a light cleanup

Chris.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Genuine oil filter about £10
Gearbox oil, I went for ECP triple qx EP 75w-90, its fully synthetic as opposed to comma's part synthetic. Can be found on ebay direct, or there website with discount. Previously used MT-90, which was fine but seems a waste of money.

Oil I believe standard is 10w40, any decent full synthetic will be ok, regular oil changes are what's more important.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Cheers Guys

Yes the engine is stock except for the usual SMIC, De-cat, exhaust, and filter.

The previous owner used Fuchs Titan Race Pro S, but in 10w40 it only says you can get it in Fuchs Titan Race Pro R ? any idea what the difference is ?

Dont mind shelling out for the Redline MT90, but any ideas how many quarts / ML is needed ?

Ill get a Toyota filter most probably.

and in regards to the Dizzy and Rotor, am I looking for damage or dirt. or both lol ?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

The contacts on the rotor / cap will wear / deteriorate over time.

The more expensive 'race' oils will fair better at high temperatures and won't shear as easily. Not required for a road car, but worthwhile if you plan on taking it to track days quite often.

Turbo box takes a lot more than the NA box, check the BGB for the exact amount :thumleft:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Turbo LSD, BGB states 4.2 litres or 4.4 US qts. That's dry fill so probably have some left over.

Your looking for wear on the dizzy points and rotor. If they're ok just clean off the corossion/oxidized build up.
Last edited by gnzyza on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Any cracks on either it's junk, rotor arm has a strip of metal on the end this wants to be free from corrosion, in the dizzy cap you'll find 5 metal contacts again they should be clear of corrosion and dry scotchbrite is suitable for cleaning them up.
Nic

Post by Nic »

If you do a vehicle search here it'll bring up a large choice of fluids.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/vehicle-lookup.aspx

For other service parts I'd go here

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I echo others and say more frequent oil changes are better. For gearbox oil i used MT-90

Before my engine rebuild ( no problems with the car) i used Mobil 2000 10w 40 and changed every 3-4 months

I still do the same now with Fuch full synthetic 10w 50 lol. I just wait for special offers to come round on Opie's website

Dizzy and other service parts I'd just get OEM, they are made better and more resistant you annoying things like heavy rain. Much better in the long run.
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

JLW - Jason at Aylesford Toyota will do 20% discount if you ask nicely.
I know it's a little bit out your way but if you're buying a few parts could work out alright?
JLW

Post by JLW »

DB Mr2 wrote:JLW - Jason at Aylesford Toyota will do 20% discount if you ask nicely.
I know it's a little bit out your way but if you're buying a few parts could work out alright?

cheers buddy, ill give him a shout.

Return to “Mechanical”