[Mk2] [Turbo] PAS Not switching off at high speeds

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] PAS Not switching off at high speeds

Post by SonicSW20 »

Have you actually confirmed it's anywhere near 140MPH independently (GPS, for example)? Older speedometers are notoriously inaccurate at higher speeds.
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

No I haven't gps checked the speed as obviously on a strip when going that fast and have no need for gps then!

I will test it next time I'm up there and let you know.
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Just an update, more of a warning really.

The cause of the issue was down to the TA Technix coilovers fitted. The o/s rear shock had snapped inside the strut. Making one corner riding on the spring! This wasn't easy to diagnose as the coilovers are so stiff you couldn't tell on the ramps, would of gone through an MOT no problem!!

Anyway, be warned. These coilovers were less than a year old, fitted by the po I may add!

Got a new set of HSD Monopros on the way, looking forward to seeing if they are as good as what I've read.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

TA Technix are absolutely terrible. Cheap, nasty things.
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Very Nasty indeed! How do they get a tüv certificate?

Or does that mean nothing, knowing what's involved with CE marking on components you would assume ze German equivalent would be even more stringent but obviously not.

Anyway, moral of the story don't fit TA technix coilovers to your car, any car, golf kart, go kart or push kart. They are dangerous!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Be sure to put up some feedback and pictures, had the HSD monopro's on my watch list for a long time, currently have the OE Bilstein shocks on my Rev3 and although the car seems to handle very feel the shocks are now 20 years old (to my knowledge they have never been replaced).
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Will do pal, hopefully will get them on Saturday depending on the weather.

Look like good quality, however the damping adjustment knobs are on the bottom of the struts which is a bit weird. They do have adjustable front camber which is good ;).

Also the droplink mounting plates are adjustable. Fortunately as I'm removing coilovers to fit coilovers, I already have the shorter droplinks fitted so should be able to take measurements of these and get somewhere close.

I will make a note of all the measurements ect and post them up. Fingers crossed they're as good as they sound.
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Got the HSD monopros on today. Will do a proper write up with pics in due course. The finish is of real high quality on all components.

Adjustment is a PIA as you have to disconnect the drop link or un-bolt the lower strut bracket to make any adjustments. Also the damping/rebound adjusters are on the bottom of the strut meaning you have to lie on the floor to reach them!

But after an hour test ride initial results aren't great! The ride is super stiff, probably equal to that of the TA technix! Driving down the dual carriage way and a surface change meant I nearly head butted the t-top.

I'm hoping it will settle down after the reccomended 100 mile bed in period after which it will be in for alignment. If not I will have to make use of the 30 days return policy and just replace the shock inserts on the technix and put them back in.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

HSD's will be quite stiff as they have 6/10KG springs unless you specify 5/8KG. Also, Monotube dampers do tend to be a bit stiffer.

What damping setting do you have them on at the moment?

Did you check the pre-load before installing?

I run BC's with 4/6KG springs on mine, it's stiffer than your average black bilstein / lowering spring setup, but not horribly so.
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Following the guidelines that came with them-

I have tightened the springs until they are just held captive/unable to spin by hand. The damping/rebound is set to fully soft as reccomended for the first 100 miles.

I did pull over and check they were on fully soft as couldn't believe how sprung they were!! I have read they were soft coilovers which is what I wanted as the roads of south Somerset are horrendous hence the previous coilovers snapping!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Definitely wouldn't describe them as soft on spec, due to the spring rate. I assume you've got 6/10KG springs?
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Correct 6/10kgs
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

Whats the OEM Spring rate if anyone knows?
Kupton83

HSD Monopros

Post by Kupton83 »

tiff_lee wrote:Be sure to put up some feedback and pictures, had the HSD monopro's on my watch list for a long time, currently have the OE Bilstein shocks on my Rev3 and although the car seems to handle very feel the shocks are now 20 years old (to my knowledge they have never been replaced).

Just a quick update. I sent the HSD Monopros back as they were way to over sprung even on fully soft. I think there must of been something up with the set I had and sent them back to DW for testing. Unfortunately a week went past and they hadn't had time to test them so they refunded me the cost of the HSD's.

I have ordered a set of Miester Zeta-R's which have a softer Spring rate 8R 5F. Hopefully these will make the car drive able at last!
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

6/10kg sounds fairly stiff. I'm running BC 5/8kg on full damping which seems ok (uneven roads obviously feel a bit bumpy). Be interested to know how the Meister coilovers are when you get them.
Kupton83

Post by Kupton83 »

I will do a proper review but after a couple of days on the miester Zeta R coilovers I've got to say wow! Have completely transformed the car have yet to dial them up but on soft my god are they soft, way smoother than stock suspension I would highly recommend them!

Will cover a couple hundred miles and get an alignment done then settle on the damping/rebound settings, and write a proper review.

But this is the third set of coilovers I've fitted to my tubby in 3 months and I just wish I'd bought these in the first place!!

Return to “Modifications”