footwell leak!!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DJ_88

footwell leak!!!

Post by DJ_88 »

Hey looking for help with a particular leak it seems water is finding it's way into the passenger footwell via behind the door card, all the carpet along the door sill is wet and bottom of door is also wet, I will be able to take apart on weekend just wondering what to look for and if it'll be an easy fix?

T bars are fine they've had the cling film trick done on them and rear quarters have been re sealed!

After this leak is fixed it'll be the drivers side footwell to start playing up knowing my luck!!!! :) :) ](*,)

Will be grateful for anyone's input as I'm sure experienced owners must be leak fixing veterans from what I've experienced ! I've had my two 1 year and fixed three different leaks already!!!

Cheers,

Dan
rev3gtturbo

Re: footwell leak!!!

Post by rev3gtturbo »

There is a rubber weather strip that runs around the door near the seams. When the door is open you should see a dirty line where that weather strip contacts the car body. You should be able to follow it from the A pillar, down and right the way around the the B pillar.

If you dont have that dirty line it is either because you recently washed it off or the weather strip has shrunk a bit over the years and not making a good contact when the door is shut which can let rain and road spray get passed the weather strip and inside the car.

I do two things:
1. I sometimes wash the shuts and the door seams and weather strips which cleans them and puts a wax layer on them to prevent rust. (Dont use too much water as you dont want it to end up in the footwell, and dry it before closing the doors)
2. I use rubber rejuvenator on the door weather strips and the rubbers in the door shuts.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Below the glove box there is also a black plastic trim on the edge of the carpet and door shut. That trim has an inner piece at the top that slots into the trim above it.

If it not fitted properly then any water that gets passed the A pillar rubber at the top of the door shut by the wing mirror can run down the inside of that trim into the footwell.

Had that on my old car. It had been removed for a respray, partly broken and refitted upside down and the water dripped in at the join. Problem went away when I fitted it the right way up and interlocked. There was some sort of putty holding it onto the car body as the plastic trim had lost its grip.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

On my first 2 there's a rubber grommet where the throttle cable goes out. That had slipped out and made the drivers side soaking. Lube up stick it in job done (if it's that). Get your head down there and get water poured into the cowel.
DJ_88

Post by DJ_88 »

rev3gtturbo wrote:Below the glove box there is also a black plastic trim on the edge of the carpet and door shut. That trim has an inner piece at the top that slots into the trim above it.

If it not fitted properly then any water that gets passed the A pillar rubber at the top of the door shut by the wing mirror can run down the inside of that trim into the footwell.

Had that on my old car. It had been removed for a respray, partly broken and refitted upside down and the water dripped in at the join. Problem went away when I fitted it the right way up and interlocked. There was some sort of putty holding it onto the car body as the plastic trim had lost its grip.

Thanks for the replies, I noticed this piece of trim was broken near where it slots together!

I'll have a go at repairing it this weekend and let you know how it goes after I test it with the hose or probably rain!! :D

Cheers,

Dan

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”