Longer wheel studs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

g.lewarne

Re: Longer wheel studs

Post by g.lewarne »

you dont need to use washers or any kind of spacers when pulling the new stud through - simply put the brake disc on backwards while you pull the stud through! (its about 7mm thick and when it on backwards you can still get to the rear of the hub plate) :thumleft:

saves messing around with washers and stuff
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

aaah good plan... to be honest I had a large nut laying around and lots of grease/wd40 to stop the grinding of surfaces... gotta remember that for next time.
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

I also bought the studs off ebay, had to drill all of my hubs out to take them as they are a fair bit chunkier on the splines. They are good tough studs though. If you've access to a compressor and windy gun, thats the way to go to draw the studs in. As has already been said; fitting the disc or better still, an old disc backwards to take up the slack.
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

Just found this post and want to say to anyone going to buy these to avoid eBay as I bought some only because they were next day delivery, and the splines are wrong, too small to even take a bite! Wish I'd just bought the fensport ones
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

i got some for my lad from fensport
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

Yea have just bought some from fensport.

Have now got this eBay supplier saying I'm wrong n that the studs I've bought fit the front of the car and that the front and rear have different splines?

The fact that I am trying to fit these in the front and there too small is laughable. Here's what he's said...... And he doesn't mention any of this in his eBay sale, even though his information is wrong!

That is fine, it is your choice where you buy your parts for your vehicle. We just want to point out that for MR2 there are type size of studs as the front and rear is different in length and spline size from OEM.

The OEM front stud is longer with spline size of 12.4mm, the rear is shorter with a spline diameter 14.3mm
I think you are trying to replace the stud on the rear and you have bought the 12.4mm spline size studs which can only fit on the font.

Not many people knows this as most of them assume that the stud will be the same front and rear. But actually there are a lot of vehicle has different stud front and rear despite the thread size is the same, the spline is different.

You are welcome to return the item to us and we can issue you a refund, however we are not responsible for the return coverage as the item is not faulty.
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

dylan5084 wrote:

Have now got this eBay supplier saying I'm wrong n that the studs I've bought fit the front of the car and that the front and rear have different splines?

Hmm. Dunno about the Mk3, but runs utterly contrary to my experience of Mk2s.

Of course, an alternative source of longer studs is Mr.T.
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

I've got got a rev 2 turbo
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

dylan5084 wrote:I've got got a rev 2 turbo

Yep, got that.
archangel

Post by archangel »

In case this helps anyone i needed to get extended wheel studs for the fronts wheels on my 1990 rev1 turbo and after getting some wrong ones these worked for me perfectly. Got the 55mm ones. Think the stock are 40mm on the fronts at least.

http://www.wheelspacers.uk.com/index.ph ... gw=2&kf=41

knurl bolts type R10G

Please take care of the different knurl bolt types and their specific measurements:

- knurl diameter (RD):
- height head (A):
- height knurl (B):
- head diameter (D1):
14,2 mm
5,0 mm
9,0 mm
18,0 mm

Rändelbolzen L: 50 mm
ArtNr.: M1215RE50T

Rändelbolzen L: 55 mm
ArtNr.: M1215RE55T

Rändelbolzen L: 60 mm
ArtNr.: M1215RE60T
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Also on my rev 1 turbo it seems the rear studs need the same studs as the front. The extended studs I bought off ebay, but was told they were for rears only, was wrong. They didn't fit the rear either and upon taking out a stock stud from the rear they appear to be the same as the front. Ended up ordering another set of the above studs.
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
danjama

Post by danjama »

BUMP. I'm looking for extended studs for the rear of my turbo.

Fensport have 65mm for sale, but they're a bit too long I think and will stick out from the rim bolt holes. I found some shorter 51mm on ebay but the splines look very different to those on the fensport. Can anybody weigh in please?

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_2 ... ory_7/3469

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Extend ... SwX6VTxoaB
archangel

Post by archangel »

I bought some extended rear wheel studs off ebay that were supposed to be specifically for the rears on MR2 SW20. The splines didn't fit. Ended up getting those ones I linked above all round.
danjama

Post by danjama »

I've gone for fensport. They have a good rep so hopefully these will fit with no fuss.
danjama

Post by danjama »

Never mind if they will fit or not, 4 days later and still not delivered despite paying for first class delivery :roll:

One of the reasons i chose them over ebay was for guarateed faster delivery, I was expecting next day. Next time I won't be so misguided :|
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I recently bought some from fensport, turns out they are the same cheapo universal studs with the incorrect splines that are being sold on ebay.. looks like i'm going to have to buy some ARP studs and be done with it.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”