REV3 NA vs REV5 NA, which would you choose?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James Junior

Re: REV3 NA vs REV5 NA, which would you choose?

Post by James Junior »

alanmr2turbo wrote:REV3 N/A or REV5 N/A?

Neither it has to be a Turbo or nothing :lol:

If I have my way it will be 'both'. :mrgreen:
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

aussieGT wrote:
James Junior wrote:Thanks MB - I have looked at Pete's a few times and whilst it looks in lovely condition, the miles are too high for me, whilst the car is about as far geographically from Manchester as is possible given UK geography!

I can never quite work out how people look at car like this and say 'too many miles on it'

The car is 16 years old. 147,000 divide by 16 - thats under 10,000 miles per year. Cars over a certain age should be assessed on their merits. Do you think people look at e-types and go off milage? If the body is good, service history is good, motor is good, car is good.

Would you rather a garaged car with 500,000 miles in perfect running order and rust free body or a car with 25,000 miles that has never been serviced and kept beachside on the coast somewhere?

Now call me a whinger if you like, but the UK is not an awfully large country, and Manchester is round about in the middle of it - if its a good car its worth the time you'd spend to inspect and time to buy it. I'm in Staffordshire now, I bought my rev5 from Exeter. Not far.

Not saying that this rev5 is the ducks nuts (it may be, i've never seen it myself) but would you rather have a heap of rubbish money pit car on your drive just because you saved a couple of days but buying locally? Mainland UK is all local! People in Australia buy cars located in Sydney when they are located in Perth if they have found the car they wanted. Australia is basically as wide as Europe - now thats a bit far in my books.

Big stinky pants foot stomping rant over.

I take your point and would have no problem with travelling for the right car. As an owner of numerous leftfield cars I am used to it! My Z was bought from Cornwall...

However whilst the car in question looks like a nice one, it simply doesn't suit my preferences. Based on the average mileage of the cars coming up for sale, 147k is at the top end of the range and would put many buyers off, myself included. Not because I think the car would necessarily give me problems - it looks cracking. However I think I might struggle to sell on a car of that mileage some years down the track if I have taken that mileage closer to 200k. Maybe if it was local I would at least give it a look, but I certainly wouldn't make a 500 mile round trip for a car that doesn't suit my preferences. The two cars I am viewing tomorrow have 90k and 100k on the clocks respectively and appear mint.

We all buy cars in different ways and what is important to some is not to others. I have historically always paid above the market average for low mileage cars and this strategy has proven overwhelmingly effective in providing trouble free motoring and easy resale. :thumleft:
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

So I went to view a REV5 NA this morning.

It drove really well on the test drive in the main and felt every bit as special as I had remembered. The driving position remains the best of any car I've ever driven and I had forgotten about how unique the handling feels, as the car feels like it's pivoting around you. Was a bit disconcerting actually, as in the bends I'd wait for the front to dig in and get hooked up before getting on the throttle, but of course this doesn't happen as the main mass of the car is behind you! I'm looking forward to the challenge of relearning how to drive one properly and having a second car totally unlike the Z. :D

Unfortunately whilst this particular car looked stunning at a distance, closer inspection revealed rust in the sills, drivers door and rear wheel arch so sadly had to pass. Such a shame as it looked and drove great.

So it's back on the search. I only want a late revision T-bar so cutting down my options I know, so will have to be patient and wait for the right car to come up.

I have some questions you guys may be able to help with...

1) Is rust a fact of life with these cars now? Will I have to accept that pretty much all remaining MK2s will have at least some rust in the sills at this time of life?

2) Is it normal for the gearboxes to be so notchy and stiff? The one I drove this morning took a fair bit of elbow grease and did not like to be hurried.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide chaps.
Nic

Post by Nic »

James Junior wrote:

I have some questions you guys may be able to help with...

1) Is rust a fact of life with these cars now? Will I have to accept that pretty much all remaining MK2s will have at least some rust in the sills at this time of life?

2) Is it normal for the gearboxes to be so notchy and stiff? The one I drove this morning took a fair bit of elbow grease and did not like to be hurried.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide chaps.

I think inner rear sills will be a problem now on the majority of cars that have been on UK roads for a while. I have a 95 Rev3 and just had the rear sills replaced.

Notchy gear changes is probably worn gear linkage bushes, I've just replaced mine which has made a noticeable improvement to gear changes. If the car has a short shift kit fitted that will also effect the gear changes.
Last edited by Nic on Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It's very hard to keep on top of rust. Rust free ones are out there though! You could even look at the import option if you don't mind paying the premium. There's some lovely cars in Japan.

The gearchange should be precise. As Nic said, it probably just needs the bushes changing. Common issue, easily fixed.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Thanks guys, good to know. :thumleft:
danjama

Post by danjama »

My gearbox takes a while to warm up as well.

I've been quite lucky that none of mine had suffered from rusty sills but they have all had rust at the bottom of the doors.

Arches need a good cleaning very regularly or they will rust pretty sharpish if left with mud and grime up there.
JD

Post by JD »

I would buy purely on condition - regardless of age or mileage :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

JD wrote:I would buy purely on condition - regardless of age or mileage :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”