REV3 NA vs REV5 NA, which would you choose?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James Junior

REV3 NA vs REV5 NA, which would you choose?

Post by James Junior »

Hi guys,

I have been on the lookout for a mint REV5 turbo, but yesterday was offered what appears to be a absolutely superb REV3 NA which looks too good to turn down.

Having reflected on this I have decided to change direction. The new plan is to enjoy an NA for a bit and then buy another turbo next year once I have more space and can keep it garaged. (albeit at a higher price I expect if values continue to climb!)

In the past I have owned a REV4 and REV5 NA (plus two turbos) but this was a long time ago. I remember the REV5 having the slightly nicer interior, but seem to recall the REV3/4s have a slightly more powerful and torquey engine.

Given the choice, would you go for a REV3/4 or a REV5 and why? I would be very interested in your input and opinions before I make a firm call on this car.

Either way I am excited to be getting back in the fold. Its been years since I had my last MR2 and it is fair to say I haven't stopped thinking about MR2s since, despite owning many more modern and powerful cars over the years. The MR2 will join my 370Z as a second car, so I think an NA will make a nice zingy alternative to the pure grunt of the Z.
SonicSW20

Re: REV3 NA vs REV5 NA, which would you choose?

Post by SonicSW20 »

The Rev3 NA doesn't have an EGR valve, and on paper has a a few more horsepower than a Rev4/5. The difference is not noticeable though. Removing the EGR from a Rev4/5 car is easy, should you want to do so.

Only difference with the Rev5 interior is the clocks, steering wheel, and gear stick have red accents on them. Other than that, it's the same.

Rev5 has a different rear wing, and has different wheels. Both of which are nicer IMO. They can both be retrofitted to an earlier model though.

All of this really doesn't matter that much though.

The one thing that really makes a difference:

Buy the one that doesn't have any rust.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

I'd rather have a well kept rev3 over a rusty abused rev5.

The biggest difference between a rev3 n/a and a rev5 turbo? Well you are spoilt for choice for the rev3, and actually finding the rev5 turbo in any condition that is for sale is the big challenge.

How nice the interior is just depends on how the car has been treated, the newest rev5 is now over 15 years old so can only weigh each car on its own merits. The only interior which I don't like is the rev1 cloth, he so ugly.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

duh, misread your post as you referred to wanting a turbo as well. But same to a point, many more rev3's around than rev5's
rgb

Post by rgb »

are you sure you want to go back to a car that you had years ago. I had a Cortina v6 years ago and thought it was great but if I drove it today id probably think it was rubbish. if its a second car id get the best which is the turbo. what are you going to do with it . drive it on a sunday . is the rev 3 a t bar cause its got to be a bit special or it will just bore you.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Gazza_DJ wrote:The Rev3 NA doesn't have an EGR valve, and on paper has a a few more horsepower than a Rev4/5. The difference is not noticeable though. Removing the EGR from a Rev4/5 car is easy, should you want to do so.

Only difference with the Rev5 interior is the clocks, steering wheel, and gear stick have red accents on them. Other than that, it's the same.

Rev5 has a different rear wing, and has different wheels. Both of which are nicer IMO. They can both be retrofitted to an earlier model though.

All of this really doesn't matter that much though.

The one thing that really makes a difference:

Buy the one that doesn't have any rust.

Thanks Gazza, comment re the rust made me laugh - amen to that!!
danjama

Post by danjama »

Buy the car in the best condition that you can find and afford IMO. Rev 3 or 5 NA differences are minor. Welcome back to the fold. :thumleft:
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

rgb wrote:are you sure you want to go back to a car that you had years ago. I had a Cortina v6 years ago and thought it was great but if I drove it today id probably think it was rubbish. if its a second car id get the best which is the turbo. what are you going to do with it . drive it on a sunday . is the rev 3 a t bar cause its got to be a bit special or it will just bore you.

Interesting perspective, thanks.

Well, I loved all my MR2s and I have spent the last 8 years of so scanning the classifieds looking and longing. No other car I've owned has done this to me. I had wondered if I was looking back with rose tinted specs, but my MR2s made every journey feel like an adventure and I loved having the T-bars off on sunny days. I guess I'll know on the first test drive...

My 370Z that I'm currently using as a daily is an incredible machine. It's been modified for fast road and track and goes like hell. Trouble is, I'm putting 20k a year on it between business and pleasure and it can be a frustrating car to drive as it is now so capable that you can barely use any of the performance on UK roads and certainly not on my commute.

After some consideration I've decided to look for an NA MR2 to use as a fun daily and for the odd back road blast to take some of the mileage off the Z. I can then scratch my MR2 itch whilst waiting and watching for the right turbo to come up. That's the plan anyway!

But who knows, you might be right - a test drive may not live up to my nostalgia. We'll soon see. I certainly like the idea of having a 'slow' fast car to drive if that makes sense. Something I can enjoy without putting my license at risk.

God knows how the GTR boys manage day to day and keep their licenses...
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

And thank you everyone for your input and advice. :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Having had a modifed 350z in the past..... if I had the cash now to swap, I'd change my rev 3 turbo for a 350z in a flash, no hesitation.

Don't get me wrong I love the mr2 to pieces and is a second car for me too, but when comparing to a modern z....... sorry but no comparison. I think you'll be disappointed.
danjama

Post by danjama »

androo007 wrote:Having had a modifed 350z in the past..... if I had the cash now to swap, I'd change my rev 3 turbo for a 350z in a flash, no hesitation.

Don't get me wrong I love the mr2 to pieces and is a second car for me too, but when comparing to a modern z....... sorry but no comparison. I think you'll be disappointed.

Ban him!! :oldtongue:
danjama

Post by danjama »

James I don't think you will be disappointed with the NA at all. I have had several turbos since my NA and still find myself missing the NA sometimes. You can ring the neck out of it without worrying too much, and the linear power is enjoyable. I bet you're going to be chuffed when you finally get back in one and wonder why it took so long :thumleft:
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

danjama wrote:James I don't think you will be disappointed with the NA at all. I have had several turbos since my NA and still find myself missing the NA sometimes. You can ring the neck out of it without worrying too much, and the linear power is enjoyable. I bet you're going to be chuffed when you finally get back in one and wonder why it took so long :thumleft:

Hi Danjama,

I recgnise your name I think - I seem to remember chatting with you on PH no a few occasions via your 'Readers Cars' posts.

This is exactly what I fancy as a second car. Something you can can enjoy the interaction of, without putting your license at risk.

I now have a choice of two nice ones. A modified REV5 and a mint original REV3. Going to see them both tomorrow (assuming they are still available) so will let you all know how it goes.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

androo007 wrote:Having had a modifed 350z in the past..... if I had the cash now to swap, I'd change my rev 3 turbo for a 350z in a flash, no hesitation.

Well, we shall see. I agree that the 350Z and 370Z are more accomplished cars in every sense, but then its the rawness of the MR2 turbo experience that does it for me.

The fact that on occasion they try to kill you if you are ham-fisted with them only adds to the appeal!

When I owned my last turbos I was only in my young twenties and was not a very experienced driver. Since then I have learnt a lot more about car control, balance, weight distribution etc etc and feel like I have unfinished business with the MR2 turbo. Once I have fully mastered the 370Z I like the idea of then trying to master an MR2 turbo as it would be a real challenge.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

If you're looking for a mint original Rev 5 NA I'd also consider this: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=188834

It's a brilliant little car.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Thanks MB - I have looked at Pete's a few times and whilst it looks in lovely condition, the miles are too high for me, whilst the car is about as far geographically from Manchester as is possible given UK geography!
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

James Junior wrote:Thanks MB - I have looked at Pete's a few times and whilst it looks in lovely condition, the miles are too high for me, whilst the car is about as far geographically from Manchester as is possible given UK geography!

I can never quite work out how people look at car like this and say 'too many miles on it'

The car is 16 years old. 147,000 divide by 16 - thats under 10,000 miles per year. Cars over a certain age should be assessed on their merits. Do you think people look at e-types and go off milage? If the body is good, service history is good, motor is good, car is good.

Would you rather a garaged car with 500,000 miles in perfect running order and rust free body or a car with 25,000 miles that has never been serviced and kept beachside on the coast somewhere?

Now call me a whinger if you like, but the UK is not an awfully large country, and Manchester is round about in the middle of it - if its a good car its worth the time you'd spend to inspect and time to buy it. I'm in Staffordshire now, I bought my rev5 from Exeter. Not far.

Not saying that this rev5 is the ducks nuts (it may be, i've never seen it myself) but would you rather have a heap of rubbish money pit car on your drive just because you saved a couple of days but buying locally? Mainland UK is all local! People in Australia buy cars located in Sydney when they are located in Perth if they have found the car they wanted. Australia is basically as wide as Europe - now thats a bit far in my books.

Big stinky pants foot stomping rant over.
danjama

Post by danjama »

James Junior wrote:
danjama wrote:James I don't think you will be disappointed with the NA at all. I have had several turbos since my NA and still find myself missing the NA sometimes. You can ring the neck out of it without worrying too much, and the linear power is enjoyable. I bet you're going to be chuffed when you finally get back in one and wonder why it took so long :thumleft:

Hi Danjama,

I recgnise your name I think - I seem to remember chatting with you on PH no a few occasions via your 'Readers Cars' posts.

This is exactly what I fancy as a second car. Something you can can enjoy the interaction of, without putting your license at risk.

I now have a choice of two nice ones. A modified REV5 and a mint original REV3. Going to see them both tomorrow (assuming they are still available) so will let you all know how it goes.

Yes that's me :) Good luck with them both, hopefully one of them is right. Remember to poke the sills and feel under the arches :mrgreen:

And i'll look forward to seeing another mr2 in reader's rides :D
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

James Junior wrote:feel like I have unfinished business with the MR2 turbo. Once I have fully mastered the 370Z I like the idea of then trying to master an MR2 turbo as it would be a real challenge.

I'm beginning to feel that an MR2 turbo is a car that will always remain a challenge. That's why we all keep coming back to it :lol:

Unfinished business - I like that :)
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

REV3 N/A or REV5 N/A?

Neither it has to be a Turbo or nothing :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”