[Mk2] [Turbo] What the max power people got out of a standard mr2 bottom end

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cooper514

[Mk2] [Turbo] What the max power people got out of a standard mr2 bottom end

Post by cooper514 »

Hi guys just want to know how much power people got out of standard bottom end I plan on building a forged engine at some point but just want a bit of fun this year for the shows I've got a rev2 turbo I plan on going rev3 fuelling with standalone Ecu apexi pfc I'll put some arp head studs in and water methanol already running the usual bolt ons

Anyone now max figures want hit over 300bhp heard of some the Americans making stupid power on standard internals

Cheers James
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What the max power people got out of a standard mr2 bottom end

Post by Ryan S »

JD on here is making around 350bhp on stock internals. That's the limit really, the pistons are the weak point. The rods are pretty strong, I think I've seen 635bhp on stock rods.
cooper514

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What the max power people got out of a standard mr2 bottom end

Post by cooper514 »

That sounds good to me and is that any turbo rods or is it limited to a rev
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

cooper514 wrote:That sounds good to me and is that any turbo rods or is it limited to a rev

I believe he's running 800cc injectors, a gt28 turbo and standalone fuel management. Don't quote me on that though!
cooper514

Post by cooper514 »

I know that some oem conrods take 514bhp for sure just don't no if it's every rev and I'm not to worried if the engine goes pop just a good excuse to put a forged 3sgte in
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

There is a lot to take into consideration, ie. ecu, mapping, turbo size and boost pressure plus getting those inlet temps down.
If running 20 psi on a ct26 disaster would be just round the corner, whereas running 20 psi on a gt30 would produce a cooler charge before intercooling, therefore producing less heat. saying that it would be producing a lot more power, swings and roundabouts 8-[
Piston rings are the weak point, heard of them go at 280 bhp to 330 bhp. Think turbonoz was running 450 bhp on a large greddy turbo and run 11 second quarters on a standard block, lots of variables but if you are looking at forging then I guess it's worth the risk.

Personally i wouldn't go above 270 bhp on a rev 2 and 310 bhp on a rev 3 if i wanted the car to be semi reliable over the summer.... :thumleft:

*edit* just noticed you have a rev 2, you still running a ct26 ? have you changed the head gasket ? search Jimgts as i think he got his old rev 2 over the 300 bhp mark, made a thread about it IIRC :-k , may answer some of your questions :thumleft:
cooper514

Post by cooper514 »

All swings and roundabouts I'll try make some power see how it goes and I'll be running a ct26 with 360 thrust bearing and a larger 60-1 wheel don't no how well that cope but I am looking for a gt30 if anyone has 1

List of mod I'll be trying see how much power I can get
3inch exhaust
Ebc
Rev 3 fueling on apexi pfc
Arp head studs
Ct26 hybrid or gt30 depending
Either smic or larger boot mount
Water methanol injection

Many other mods going through my head at the moment but may build a forged engine instead and prepare every thing off car next step is going rev3 fueling
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Lose the CT series turbo if you want to make some power.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I may have a gt30 for sale soon. Brand new, it's by no means a bolt on replacement though, you'd need to get a downpipe made up.
cooper514

Post by cooper514 »

The plan has alway been to ditch the ct turbo and get a gt30 and piece together a turbo kit seen what a get series can do and I'll be interested been looking turbo dynamics do a gt3076r brand new for £540 plus the vat but doesn't include turbine housing boost lab has a good deal but then it's working out if shipping and import duty are cheap plus the wait of getting it
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Mine is complete with either an internally gated T2 housing or external T3 housing. It also has the billet compressor wheel. £700 delivered with both exhaust housings. :thumleft:
cooper514

Post by cooper514 »

Sounds good to me definitely a t3 and external and its pay day soon
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

cooper514 wrote:Sounds good to me definitely a t3 and external and its pay day soon

Cool, just drop me a PM :thumleft:
cooper514

Post by cooper514 »

Ok mate will do can't wait until pay day now :)
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Depends what you're using the car for.

For example i ran my old car at 350-370bhp on the standard bottom end and it lasted about 2 years and 10 track days including the killer Nurburgring.

In the end a piston ring went (which i new it would at some point).

So if your just using it for shows in the summer and you get somebody decent to map it, it could last ages........maybe.

I used a huge charge cooler which helped keep the intake temps in check.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Double post :oops:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Gee Man wrote:Depends what you're using the car for.

For example i ran my old car at 350-370bhp on the standard bottom end and it lasted about 2 years and 10 track days including the killer Nurburgring.

So if your just using it for shows in the summer and you get somebody decent to map it, it could last ages........maybe.

Totally man, As per Turbonoz's build he was running 487bhp on a fibre head gasket!! All depends on use as you say! :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:JD on here is making around 350bhp on stock internals.

I went back to read his thread: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=177504

He's using JE 86.5mm forged pistons.

However this thread does give me confidence that you should be able to make a reliable ~330bhp on stock internals... which is probably going to be my plan, soon, as I'm in need of an ECU and remap. (GT2860RS, ST205 Charge Cooler, Walbro 255 pump etc.)
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Gee Man wrote:Depends what you're using the car for.

I agree with the above.

There's a big difference between failure due to material strength and failure do to a bad tune.. Keep the tune right, IAT's down, maybe a squirt of WI (#canofworms) and I can't see 350 bhp being a problem at all. It's Detonation that kills engines, not the power the engine produces.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
cooper514

Post by cooper514 »

This is giving me so confidence.

I'm going drive it quite a lot don't plan on driving it hard everyday just to have as weekend car and maybe a race or to at half feast if it ready In time , then sink a bit of money into a forged build wold like to go 5sfe block and do 2.2 but not sure how much money and machine work this take to achieve

And I'll only be going to Ryan @ 2bartuning for mapping

Will be squirting w/I and a huge bmic will be a must have looked at charge coolers but would prefer intercooler and may change to a charge cooler at a later date or on my other build

First step is going rev3 there isn't a walk though on how to do it does anyone no if I need a rev3 lamba sensor and if I do which pin out on the Ecu as I would like to do it myself this weekend

Return to “Modifications”