Hitting fuel cut, REV1 turbo.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kurkjones

Hitting fuel cut, REV1 turbo.

Post by kurkjones »

I've fitted a blitz Nur spec exhaust on my rev1 and now my car is hitting fuel cut. I've fit an aftermarket gauge and from research is that 13psi(fuel cut stock)?
What's the first thing I should do to stop hitting cut?
FCD/ECU/adjustable ACTUTATOR/G-valve MBC?

And what is all the stock psi/bar levels for my rev1 turbo? I'm new to turbo scene so a lot of stuff still kinda Unknown.

Thanks
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
Al-sw20

Re: Hitting fuel cut, REV1 turbo.

Post by Al-sw20 »

Stock boost levels are 7psi and 11.8 psi. The car has a factory boost controller called the t/vsv. When conditions are correct, the t/vsv opens and let's the boost increase to 11.8psi. Conditions being it not being freezing outside, the car is up to operating temperature, no knock has been detected.

The stock fuel cut is at 12.8psi.

I'd bet you wouldn't get much more than 13 or 14psi with that exhaust on there and I'd be curious to delete the fuel cut to see how far it creeps.

Make sure the car is in tip top condition with refreshed ignition components and a fuel filter. Run on 99+ octane.

What I'm about to explain removes your fuel cut entirely. If you understand that, there is no need to fear.

Pull the boost pressure sensor hose out of the bottom of the boost pressure sensor (next to the diagnostic box) and block the hose up with a small bolt. Now take the car out somewhere quiet where you can test it in 3rd and 4th under load. Take off and accelerate. Move into 3rd and go WOT and keep an eye on your boost gauge. If it passes 15psi, back off. My bet is it won't though, I think it will settle at 14psi, maybe 15psi at most. That is a 'safe' level as long as you aren't beating om the car around a circuit or driving in 30 degree heat and beating on the car.

If it climbs over 15psi and keeps going. You have a car that boost creeps and good luck to you solving it.
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

Thanks a lot for that detailed reply! It definitely made some stuff make sense.
Although what do you mean by, go into 3rd and go WOT?

I managed to get my hands on a forge adjustable actutator for a reasonable price second hand. While the car is off road until April I'll fit that and do the 3rd gear test down a private road, setting a max pressure with the actutator too be safe. Does that sound ok? As I'd rather not run the risk of boost creeping up and beyond 15psi. My friend also offered me his FCD but will try disabling the fuel cut the way you've explained.
I've actually plumbed my aftermarket gauge into that vacuum hose you speak of. So can I not just remove that pipe completely and put my aftermarket boost gauge vacuum straight into the intake manifold?

Thanks.
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

What I mean by 3rd then go WOT is drive along, 1st gear, 2nd gear then into 3rd gear and WOT = wide open throttle. Mash that gas pedal into the floor and watch the boost gauge.

Yes you can plug your boost gauge into that port.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”