Stock Bilstein Set up

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kirk

Stock Bilstein Set up

Post by kirk »

Just wondering how people rate the stock Bilstein set up. Anyone still running a set? Maybe on lowering springs?
Race Idiot

Re: Stock Bilstein Set up

Post by Race Idiot »

Pretty good if paired with some decent (ie not tein s.tech) springs.

Its worth buying a new set though, as any used set will be pretty tired by now. tcb parts should still be able to get them.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Race Idiot wrote:Pretty good if paired with some decent (ie not tein s.tech) springs.

Its worth buying a new set though, as any used set will be pretty tired by now. tcb parts should still be able to get them.

Black bilsteins have been discontinued by Toyota and tcb didn't have any as I needed them.

I've heard their replacements are good though and have refurbishable inserts so that's what I've gone for.
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

What's wrong with the Tein S-tech springs?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ginjaninja92 wrote:What's wrong with the Tein S-tech springs?

Don't know anyone who's been happy with them. Usual complaints are crashy, bouncy and general poor handling.

Looks nice though I guess.
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Ginjaninja92 wrote:What's wrong with the Tein S-tech springs?

Don't know anyone who's been happy with them. Usual complaints are crashy, bouncy and general poor handling.

Looks nice though I guess.

I'm in agreement, they will be coming off my car next week. Harsh ride.
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
kirk

Post by kirk »

markstevieandmads wrote:
Race Idiot wrote:Pretty good if paired with some decent (ie not tein s.tech) springs.

Black bilsteins have been discontinued by Toyota and tcb didn't have any as I needed them.

I've heard their replacements are good though and have refurbishable inserts so that's what I've gone for.

Any info on the replacement units?
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Might as well just get the yellows I have no complaints
Nic

Post by Nic »

Couple of years ago I fitted a new set of black Bilstein dampers, Eibach pro springs, new OEM Toyota upper mounts and drop links. I had the geometry set up by CW and couldn't be happier with the results. A little lower and firmer than stock but never uncomfortable, handling and ride quality is spot on for brisk road use.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

I'm using the genuine replacement ones from MR2 Bitz, a great guy called Ade Glover I believe.
They fit perfectly, they are well priced, and besides my Tein springs, wouldn't change the setup. Using KYB top mounts on the front.
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Surprised to hear so many bad reviews of the Tein springs, I've had them on with yellow billies for a while now and I'm very happy with them. They are undoubtedly harsh but are more than competent for B-road blastin'.

I guess it depends what you want from your car and also what you're used to suspension wise. I had white lines springs before and thought they were awful, didn't inspire any confidence in the car at all.

What springs would people recommend?
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

I have confirmed today with my man at Toyota that Toyota in Japan still have stock of the black Bilsteins. They may not be being made anymore but they still have good levels of supply.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Ginjaninja92 wrote:Surprised to hear so many bad reviews of the Tein springs, I've had them on with yellow billies for a while now and I'm very happy with them. They are undoubtedly harsh but are more than competent for B-road blastin'.

I guess it depends what you want from your car and also what you're used to suspension wise. I had white lines springs before and thought they were awful, didn't inspire any confidence in the car at all.

What springs would people recommend?

Lots of owners have go for Apex springs and report good results and handling. I had these fitted to oem shocks but for me, the front of the car sat up too high.

I have tein flex coilovers and love them, but am planning on changing to a set of oem rebuldable shocks with Kongi inserts (my dad co owns this 2 and is 72 lol), and plan to buy Spax springs to replace the oem springs on there.

The choice on springs etc will be affected by wheel size too hence good compromise being 16" alloys but I like 17's for aesthetics :thumleft:
markstevieandmads

I picked my car up today from the garage with the near rear shocks

Although I'm currently using everything else existing the new shocks have made a load of difference. A lot smoother ride (though one of my shocks had a serious leak).

I could only recommend them and I've yet to replace the coils,drop links and too mounts yet too.
Nic

Post by Nic »

The Eibach Pro Springs were discontinued but noticed the other day that they are now available to buy new again.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

markstevieandmads wrote: the new shocks have made a load of difference.

My car had tired shocks (probably original based on car mileage) that still passed the MOT when I bought it. I soon replaced all of them with standard new shocks and it made a huge improvement. (I knew it would as I had another mr2 that I could directly compare with it). I guess fitting any brand new shocks that fit would also make a load of difference over tired approx 20 year old shocks.
markstevieandmads

rev3gtturbo wrote:
markstevieandmads wrote: the new shocks have made a load of difference.

My car had tired shocks (probably original based on car mileage) that still passed the MOT when I bought it. I soon replaced all of them with standard new shocks and it made a huge improvement. (I knew it would as I had another mr2 that I could directly compare with it). I guess fitting any brand new shocks that fit would also make a load of difference over tired approx 20 year old shocks.

My opinion too.

Going for new front shocks, all new top mounts and drop links all round next.
Then I may replace the springs though the current ones seem ok and they are lowering springs too so not sure how old they are.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Curious as to what are peoples opinions on brand new standard shocks?

I know you can buy inserts like the Koni's or Sachs but I do wonder what difference some standard ones with some lowering springs would make.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Standard shocks are designed to work with standard springs.

Koni inserts are designed to work with firmer lowering springs.

If you're spending the money, do it right IMO.
Nic

Post by Nic »

kirk wrote:Curious as to what are peoples opinions on brand new standard shocks?

I know you can buy inserts like the Koni's or Sachs but I do wonder what difference some standard ones with some lowering springs would make.

Kirk what dampers do you currently have fitted, are they rebuildable with separate inserts? If you're not sure check if there's a large nut on top of the damper - the shiny nut can be seen on top of the black strut on this pic.

Once the nut is removed the outer and insert can be separated like this. If you have these you can buy new inserts to fit eg. Koni, KYB, etc.

If there is no nut then they cannot be rebuilt and you'll need to replace the complete damper.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”