Power steering problem

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

garygt4

Power steering problem

Post by garygt4 »

Hi, I'm having trouble with my power steering it comes and goes but seems to be gone alot more than its there, is there anything that gives trouble, someone told me the relay under bonnet?it's 98 rev 5 na. thanks in advance :mrgreen:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Power steering problem

Post by Martin F »

the relay contacts are a likely culprit, try turning the ignition key on and off a couple dozen times, usually cures the problem, short term at least :pray:
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Yeah once the key trick doesn't work anymore you will probably hav to check the brushes on the electric pump. If they are knackered it's time for another pump.
garygt4

Post by garygt4 »

Cheers guys il try that
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Al-sw20 wrote:Yeah once the key trick doesn't work anymore you will probably hav to check the brushes on the electric pump. If they are knackered it's time for another pump.

When the key trick don't work its time to replace the relay not bushes in the pump.

But then you could always swap the bushes for new ones instead of replacing the pump.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

You could if you could find some .
garygt4

Post by garygt4 »

Anybody know where the relay is located?
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Comes and goes? can you be more specific, does the power steering light come on at all?

The relay not making usually happens when you turn the ignition on initially not randomly when driving as it stays energised. The relays is on the RHS of the engine bay as you face it IIRC it's a cylindrical shaped relay and secured to a rubber mount of some sort.

Probably worth checking your fluid level as well.
twig

Post by twig »

Hi mate
I had this problem where the PAS would stop working every winter (and usually get better once the weather improves!). There is a bodge where you connect two wires to the same relay terminal. However, I always felt this was a bit too much of a bodge so this year I finally replaced the relay and the problem has been solved for about 3 months.

The stock relay is available on the net, but the cost is really high, so I followed a guide here:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=355400

I just replaced the relay with a standard 70A type. I've got this one bookmarked, so suspect it might be the one I used:
Panasonic CB1aH-M-12V (M for mountable):
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latch ... s/8113097/

Then you just need a few suitable crimp connectors (2x 6.3mm and 2x 9.5mm in my case) to replace the ring connectors used on the standard relay.

It's a nice easy job. I hate electronics and even I managed it!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”