Differences between turbo engines

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheLepresean

Differences between turbo engines

Post by TheLepresean »

Good evening all, starting to look more seriously at doing a turbo conversion on my UK Rev5 NA and Rev3+ clips seem very thin on the ground and expensive when they do come up. My question, is are Rev2 clips THAT much worse? Extra 20bhp, decent head gaskets and a higher resale value - but I plan on taking the car to around 300bhp and keeping the car either way. Does the extra money spent gaining that 20bhp back overrule the extra price of a Rev3 clip...?
gnzyza

Re: Differences between turbo engines

Post by gnzyza »

I think with your goals of 300hp then you definitely better off with a rev3 clip with turbo, alot less to do to achieve your power goal.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Depends on the price difference. I've not really looked at prices but you'd be around £300-£400 to convert a rev2 to a rev3 minus the cylinder head (which isn't needed really). Or you could go standalone, There's absolutely nothing wrong with rev2 engines it's just that you can't get 300bhp quite as easily as with a rev3. :thumleft:
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

I see, thanks guys :thumleft: I don't suppose anybody has a decent Rev3+ turbo clip lying around at a decent price? :pray:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

reason why they are more expensive is its a superior engine.

better head, cams, turbo, fueling, low comp pistons, headgasket, list goes on.

thats not to say you cant get 300hp out of a rev1/2 though. just requires additional parts, namely those on a rev3+ engine.

if i was in the market for a mr2 turbo again, i wouldnt consider a rev5 with a rev1/2 engine.
i would however consider it with a rev3+ engine.

but thats just me.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I have a rev2 block with a rev3 conversion. Cost me around £200 for the conversion bits and bobs. I believe the rev2 block is stronger as well.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
craig

Post by craig »

Charged wrote:I believe the rev2 block is stronger as well.

myth.

Rev 1/2 blocks appear to go around the water pump area. Rev3+ tend to crack between cylinders 1&2.

Luck of the draw.

I'd source a rev 3 turbo rear clip if poss. If not, rev 2 block, rev 3 head, ecu, turbo, fuelling etc.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Do it once and do it right i say, all that will happen is you'll be wishing you got a rev 3 engine.

Sod's law is, you'll get the rev 2 engine then 2 rev 3 engines come up for sale :lol:
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Sod's law indeed, thanks for all the replies - I'll get a wanted ad up later this evening :thumleft:
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

I had a rev 2 block and a rev 3 head ---- running 514 bhp...

ALL depends on your budget.. :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

craig wrote:
Charged wrote:I believe the rev2 block is stronger as well.

myth.

Rev 1/2 blocks appear to go around the water pump area. Rev3+ tend to crack between cylinders 1&2.

Luck of the draw.

I'd source a rev 3 turbo rear clip if poss. If not, rev 2 block, rev 3 head, ecu, turbo, fuelling etc.

yup :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

TheLepresean wrote:Good evening all, starting to look more seriously at doing a turbo conversion on my UK Rev5 NA and Rev3+ clips seem very thin on the ground and expensive when they do come up. My question, is are Rev2 clips THAT much worse? Extra 20bhp, decent head gaskets and a higher resale value - but I plan on taking the car to around 300bhp and keeping the car either way. Does the extra money spent gaining that 20bhp back overrule the extra price of a Rev3 clip...?

Cheep and easy to upgrade (rev1/2) if to want power out the box (rev3+)| simple mods get you good power .. 300 hp is not out the question with a rev3+ :thumleft: .... 260 for a rev1/2 unless you pay out some money .

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”