Wind noise in cockpit, REV1 turbo.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kurkjones

Wind noise in cockpit, REV1 turbo.

Post by kurkjones »

As above, wind noise coming from both sides of the car, sounds like around the tweeter speaker area, any others have this issue and how is it solved?
Toyota MR2 - 3S-GTE - 1991 Turbo - Yellow
pbmr2

Re: Wind noise in cockpit, REV1 turbo.

Post by pbmr2 »

got this on a rev 4 but only on the driver's side. Only when the wind is strong. Must be some foam has disintegrated over time.

Going to check it out when fitting new speakers.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Make sure the windows are going all the way up. Over time the runner wear etc. Remeber the windows can be adjusted in/out as well for tightness against the seal :thumleft:
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

sheppy wrote:Make sure the windows are going all the way up. Over time the runner wear etc. Remeber the windows can be adjusted in/out as well for tightness against the seal :thumleft:

Surely if it was the window not tight to the seal I might notice leaks? As it stands there is absolutely none. It's just very confusing.
JD

Post by JD »

Aaaaah I know there is a fix for this somewhere possibly with pictures. I will see if I can find it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

kurkjones wrote:
sheppy wrote:Make sure the windows are going all the way up. Over time the runner wear etc. Remeber the windows can be adjusted in/out as well for tightness against the seal :thumleft:

Surely if it was the window not tight to the seal I might notice leaks? As it stands there is absolutely none. It's just very confusing.

Just trying to eliminate any possibilties, without being in your car and hearing for myself I really can't say for certain. It is a good starting point though as it costs nothing to check/adjust. :thumleft:
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

sheppy wrote:
kurkjones wrote:

Just trying to eliminate any possibilties, without being in your car and hearing for myself I really can't say for certain. It is a good starting point though as it costs nothing to check/adjust. :thumleft:

Yeah mate it's definitely worth me checking! Thanks. Just confused as hell why there's so much wind noise and no water. Haha!
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

the wind noise is normally one of three things.

Window adjustment

sealing behind tweeter cover

or front window edge
(borrowed from member - Moo)
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

gnzyza wrote:the wind noise is normally one of three things.

Window adjustment

or front window edge

This solved my issue - been fine for years ever since! Nice to find a cheap fix on an MR2 :thumleft:
kurkjones

Post by kurkjones »

Chumbaside wrote:
gnzyza wrote:the wind noise is normally one of three things.

Window adjustment

or front window edge
Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j93/Moo_22/VelcroMirrorRepair2.jpg[/URL]

Good to know man. Will need to give it a shot, at first I thought the problem was behind the cover in behind the speaker itself? I put some sound deadening in there but didn't make much difference so will try the cover seal. Thanks.

This solved my issue - been fine for years ever since! Nice to find a cheap fix on an MR2 :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”